Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-08-2009   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Steve McNair HOF?

Quote:
Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun polled 24 of the 44 Hall of Fame voters regarding the question of whether quarterback Steve McNair's career merits a bronze bust in Canton.

Of the 24, 17 said no.
Link

I'm kind of with the first commenter after the article, just don't picture McNair when I think HOF QB although I disagree it would cheapen the HOF for him to get in. I think Florio overstates the importance of the rushing yards which McNair mainly gained early on when he wasn't as good a QB. His death should not affect whether he gets in but very well may.
Old 07-08-2009   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steve McNair HOF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

I'm kind of with the first commenter after the article, just don't picture McNair when I think HOF QB although I disagree it would cheapen the HOF for him to get in. I think Florio overstates the importance of the rushing yards which McNair mainly gained early on when he wasn't as good a QB. His death should not affect whether he gets in but very well may.
Agreed on all of your points. I consider Steve one of the toughest QB's to play the game, but that coupled with his successes on the field, don't add up to him being a HOFer. If there was a hall for runner-ups, he would be in there.
Old 07-08-2009   #3
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Link

If they let Michael Irvin in the HOF, then "off field conduct" doesn't matter.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Link

No. The best comparison I heard the other day was Kenny Stabler. He isn't in and could run and he actually has one ring and an AP Player of the Year for 1974. Not only that but the guy was monumental in big games during his time period. I don't want to be cruel but I agree with the cheapening. Not because McNair wasn't a fine QB, tough as nails, etc. But because the Football HOF puts in a minimum amount of guys EVERY year, unlike baseball. You think HOF you think of the all time greats. I just don't think that when I see McNair.
Old 07-08-2009   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

If he had gotten that 1 extra yard in the super bowl against the rams, it would be much easier to consider him. Without the ring, i don't think he gets in.
Old 07-08-2009   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he needs a ring to get in but I don't consider him a HOF player. I consider Ken Stabler a HOF player and I donno how you can put in McNair and not Ken Stabler. I also think that Ken Anderson is a far better QB than McNair was (I'm a pretty big McNair fan too). I've seen both Ken Anderson play live as well as Steve McNair and if McNair goes in, then Anderson and Stabler should both go in with him....but that ain't gonna happen. Nothing against Air McNair since he was a hell of a QB...but not a HOF'er to me.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #7
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Who says Stabler will not eventually get in?

I think McNair is a strong candidate for the HOF, not so much for his stats, but for the way he competed on the field.

I don't think the lack of a Super Bowl ring should factor into the decision. Although I am delighted he never won a ring with that pos organization.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2009   #8
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

They let Warren Moon in! No need to elaborate!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
They let Warren Moon in! No need to elaborate!
Funny, but what you say is true. McNair has broken some of his records (emotions aside). If you remember, Moon had some awesome numbers that I never thought would be broken.

Another thing that people don't bring up and I'm kind of glad because it doesn't matter what race a QB is but Steve Mcnair was the 2nd black QB to play in the Super Bowl. How many years went by between Doug Williams and Steve Mcnair? When Mcnair went in, Mcnabb followed quickly. Now, any doubt that was still left after Williams was eliminated when Mcnair played in the Super Bowl.

On a side note, there were some times when I would see Mcnair going off and think to myself : Houston would've loved this guy.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Nope.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

nope..not close actually imo & warren moon was a beast in the canadian league. If u combine his stats from there with his stats in the NFL he'd arguably be the greatest Qb ever
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #12
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
If he had gotten that 1 extra yard in the super bowl against the rams, it would be much easier to consider him. Without the ring, i don't think he gets in.
People seem to forget that the 1 extra yard would have only tied the game, that is if the extra point was good. It wasn't like the Titans were 1 yard short of victory. They were one yard short and an OT win short of victory.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm on the fence....only three QBs have over 30,000 passing yards + 3,500 running yards...regardless of when/where he got them, it's still impressive.

But, since Terrell Davis is not being considered in spite of his accomplisments, I can't put McNair in there, either.
Old 07-08-2009   #14
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair may eventually get in the HOF, but it will probably be when we are all really old men, and when we see it we will reminisce while our kids ask us about him.

That's how I see it if he ever gets into the HOF.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
People seem to forget that the 1 extra yard would have only tied the game, that is if the extra point was good. It wasn't like the Titans were 1 yard short of victory. They were one yard short and an OT win short of victory.

Very true. Lots of QB's lost a Super Bowl. Chris Chandler lost a Super Bowl.

McNair: 13 years in the league, threw for 31,304 yards, 174 TD's and 119 picks. 3 Pro Bowls and one shared MVP.

Chandler: 17 years, threw for 28,484 yards, 170 TD's and 94 picks. 2 Pro Bowls.

Chandler comes up almost right behind him there. If you let McNair in with his numbers how many other QB's with very close* numbers begin to look like they have a case? I don't have anything at all against Steve McNair (other than some pent up resentment over his beating the snot out of us for most of our existence) but I do subscribe to the theory that his election to the HOF could "cheapen" the honor because while the fact that he sported enormous heart is a HOF type quality the rest of the factors that I think matter are not quite there.

I don't say a word if they vote him in though. I just put a little asterisk next to his name in my mind and go on about my business. The thing is that IF he hadn't been killed would he be getting the same consideration? I think he'd be a very Terrell Davis type of choice with lots of debate (different points of debate but the same split opinions) and would fall short. I think he falls short.

*kind of close... people making a case will spin them the way they want
Old 07-08-2009   #16
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think HOF, but I could see him getting his number retired.
Old 07-08-2009   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's as certain to get his number retired and be the next member of the Titans "Ring of Honor" thingy as anyone possibly could be and that's fitting. His playing career in Nashville merits this. I just don't think he's a HOF QB.

Finally they'll be voting a Titan in for a change so that's nice.
Old 07-08-2009   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
McNair may eventually get in the HOF, but it will probably be when we are all really old men, and when we see it we will reminisce while our kids ask us about him.

That's how I see it if he ever gets into the HOF.
Nope

When people talk about him they will talk about his toughness and leadership but at the end of the conversation they will say if you cheat on your spouse you could end up like Steve McNair.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he makes it to the HOF.

Retired number? Probably a long, long time...but it will happen.
Old 07-09-2009   #20
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think he's as certain to get his number retired and be the next member of the Titans "Ring of Honor" thingy as anyone possibly could be and that's fitting. His playing career in Nashville merits this. I just don't think he's a HOF QB.

Finally they'll be voting a Titan in for a change so that's nice.
He was put into the Titans ring of honor at the MNF Colts game.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read