Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-03-2009   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak's future

I've been wondering this all offseason and I'm sure its been discussed in a thread somewhere so here's my question:

What has to happen in order for Kubiak to get an extension?

Some of you may already want Kubiak replaced by Cowher, some of you may think he deserves an extension as of right now, most of us are probably somewhere in between.

What I THINK is going to happen is McNair will wait until the season is over to decide. Getting to the playoffs gets an automatic extension...but this is where it gets interesting

What if we miss the playoffs win 9 games and have a great year doing it? What if we win 9 games and fight injuries all year?

Regardless, I think another 8-8 season however it happens will be the end for Kubiak unfortunately.

Personally I really like the guy and hope we have a great season and he gets that extension and hangs around for 10-15 years and we win some superbowls and make the playoffs every year but thats obviously a dream.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Kubiak's future

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I've been wondering this all offseason and I'm sure its been discussed in a thread somewhere so here's my question:

What has to happen in order for Kubiak to get an extension?

Some of you may already want Kubiak replaced by Cowher, some of you may think he deserves an extension as of right now, most of us are probably somewhere in between.

What I THINK is going to happen is McNair will wait until the season is over to decide. Getting to the playoffs gets an automatic extension...but this is where it gets interesting

What if we miss the playoffs win 9 games and have a great year doing it? What if we win 9 games and fight injuries all year?

Regardless, I think another 8-8 season however it happens will be the end for Kubiak unfortunately.

Personally I really like the guy and hope we have a great season and he gets that extension and hangs around for 10-15 years and we win some superbowls and make the playoffs every year but thats obviously a dream.
If we only win 9 games, I think he is gone. If we win 10 but don't make the playoffs, he probably stays. If we make the playoffs, he stays.
Old 07-03-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Its up to Frank Bush. Kubiak put his faith in him and the extension goes through the defense imo...

If Mcnair extends him after another 8-8 season no matter how we "look" getting to .500 then I will lose a lot of faith in Mcnair and will no longer refer to the extending of Carr as "just an aberration."
Old 07-03-2009   #4
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Its up to Frank Bush. Kubiak put his faith in him and the extension goes through the defense imo...

If Mcnair extends him after another 8-8 season no matter how we "look" getting to .500 then I will lose a lot of faith in Mcnair and will no longer refer to the extending of Carr as "just an aberration."
The boss would've already extended him if he was that dumb.... I think its going to be interesting though if we start hot like 5-0 and look great and are the talk of the league...it'll be tough fighting the temptation to extend him mid-season...not very many coaches coach out their entire first contract to the end and return to that team with an extension the next season although it appears that McNair will go that route
Old 07-03-2009   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably if they win he stays.

If they don't he doesn't.

Barring injuries of course.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is if we win more 7 or more games, he stays. If we have a major regression and go 6-10 or worse, he might be fired. Only way he definitely gets fired, knowing McNair, is if we completely tank and end up 4-12 or something awful like that
Old 07-03-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes is on the hot seat.

Last edited by Texecutioner; 07-03-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2009   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

What if they win 8 BUT have a ton of injuries to key players? I know BITE MY TONGUE but what if that happens?

What then?
Old 07-03-2009   #9
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 296273 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
What if they win 8 BUT have a ton of injuries to key players? I know BITE MY TONGUE but what if that happens?

What then?
Exactly. If there is a reason (injuries, whatever) that we go 8-8 again, then I think he stays. If we go 8-8 again because of nothing in particular, and most players are still intact at the end of the season, I still think he might get one more year.

My own feelings are I like Kubiak and hope he succeeds. I hope he stays here for a long time. I still believe Kubiak will take us to the promised land.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

He's certainly not the best but he's not bad.

And I do think the players respond to him....he seems like a real smart guy...good community guy...

He just needs to get over that hump. He can't go out and play the game...needs to work on his game/clock management....perhaps as the team excels he will as well.
Old 07-03-2009   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Exactly. If there is a reason (injuries, whatever) that we go 8-8 again, then I think he stays. If we go 8-8 again because of nothing in particular, and most players are still intact at the end of the season, I still think he might get one more year.

My own feelings are I like Kubiak and hope he succeeds. I hope he stays here for a long time. I still believe Kubiak will take us to the promised land.
This is the tricky part though, his contract is up and a one year extension can't happen. #1 Kubiak rightfully so would want more stability and comfort with a multi-year extension #2 Its a tough sell to fans for the 3rd year in a row that 8-8 every year means were getting better

If Kubiak gets an extension I think its going to be the 3-5 year variety and a big time endorsement from the front office, and this is the only way it can go....
Old 07-03-2009   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 296273 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is the tricky part though, his contract is up and a one year extension can't happen. #1 Kubiak rightfully so would want more stability and comfort with a multi-year extension #2 Its a tough sell to fans for the 3rd year in a row that 8-8 every year means were getting better

If Kubiak gets an extension I think its going to be the 3-5 year variety and a big time endorsement from the front office, and this is the only way it can go....
I didn't know his contract was up. Yikes. Go Kubes, go! Get us into the playoffs!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Barring injuries of course.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #14
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

If the offense continues to perform and the defense continues to stink on ice, I think Bob will extend Kubiak, but fire Bush and strip control of who is hired to replace him as DC from Gary.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90792 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans would really have to regress for Kubiak to lose his job.
Fisher had 3 8-8 seasons with the Titans and then followed two 13-3 seasons, including a Super Bowl apperance. As long as the Texans continue to show progress Kubiak will continue to run the team. You do not fire a quality leader until he cannot continue to improve.

If the Texans lose because of injuries or lack of poersonnel, Kubiak is safe.

If he loses the locker room, or continues bone-headed play calling he will be fired.

Bob McNair is a businessman and knows that you cannot manage like AL DAVIS and ever succeed.

Kubiak is here for awhile.
TEXANS TURN IS NOW!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #16
WWJD
Hall of Fame

I wonder IF Kubiak got tossed if he'd be in line for another head coaching job anywhere else?

Asking you guys..is he thought of highly around the league or just another coach? I don't watch all the ESPN's and NFLN like so many do here...
Old 07-03-2009   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 184792 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What if we miss the playoffs win 9 games and have a great year doing it?
How could the Texans win 9 games, miss the playoffs, and still have what would be considered a "great year"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I didn't know his contract was up. Yikes. Go Kubes, go! Get us into the playoffs!
The Texans' head coach is under contract through the 2010 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If the Texans lose because of injuries or lack of poersonnel, Kubiak is safe.
He chose the personnel on this team. Other than AJ, Pitts, Dunta, and Kris Brown. How could he still get a pass because of that shortcoming?

Anyway, I doubt anyone will provide insight on this topic that wasn't already covered here.
Old 07-03-2009   #18
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How could the Texans win 9 games, miss the playoffs, and still have what would be considered a "great year"?

The Texans' head coach is under contract through the 2010 season.

He chose the personnel on this team. Other than AJ, Pitts, Dunta, and Kris Brown. How could he still get a pass because of that shortcoming?

Anyway, I doubt anyone will provide insight on this topic that wasn't already covered here.
Thanks Lucky, I was wondering when this was going to be refererred back to that thread.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #19
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it comes down to a couple simple factors:

1. Tangible improvement on D.
2. A winning record.

Contributing factors:

3. Winning the games we're supposed to win.
4. Coming into road games prepared and confident.

Any major injury or two is could derail the team but give Kubes a mulligan for a poor record.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #20
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
t=61183&highlight=Kubiak+seat"]here[/url].
-If our offense puts up big numbers and were scoring 27-30 points a game like were very well capable of doing

-If the AFC is really really competitive and other 9 or 10 win teams miss the playoffs too

-If we're so rattled with injuries and I mean big ones to key guys and we still manage to win 9

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read