Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-01-2009   #1
hawk258
Rookie

Default New look for AFC south

The Texans' divsion has one of the strongest in the NFL since we joined the league. However, Titans are in the midst of a another V.Y. controversy. Without Fred Taylor, we have yet to see if the Jags and MJD can handle the carry load. The Colts, we'll see how they fair with Wayne as the only star receiver for a 16 game season. Based on these facts alone. How much will that affect the best team in Texas?
hawk258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New look for AFC south

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk258 View Post
The Texans' divsion has one of the strongest in the NFL since we joined the league. However, Titans are in the midst of a another V.Y. controversy. Without Fred Taylor, we have yet to see if the Jags and MJD can handle the carry load. The Colts, we'll see how they fair with Wayne as the only star receiver for a 16 game season. Based on these facts alone. How much will that affect the best team in Texas?

1. The Titans don't care about VY. If he was an integral part of their offense, maybe it would matter. But it doesn't. That team is built on D and running the football. As long as Fisher is their coach, that team is going to be tough.

2. Fred Taylor isn't the important part of the Jags for me. The questions they face are about their offensive line getting healthy, if their D can return to form after the rotation of DC's they've had, and whether Garrard's one good year was just an aberration. Taylor was a great back for them and MJD may not be able to carry the load but if they don't have their line working and healthy, it won't matter who's running the ball.

3. As long as the Spawn of Satan is the Colt's QB, I won't rest easy about them. I'm hoping the coaching changes will have a negative effect. But considering the pacts they've made with the Devil, I don't think that's going to make much of a difference.

But screw all those guys, all we can really worry about is taking care of our own business.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The Titans last concern is Vince Young. For as much shit as we give them we can at least recognize that they know they made the wrong pick and are trying to cover it up. They still got their running game, we'll see if they can pick up the pieces after Haynesworth's departure...everyone knows that D is what they relied on.

The Jagaurs...I'm going to call for them to have a meltdown this year. The organization is in bad shape, seems like every bit of news from them is bad, be it players doing stupid things or Del Rio calling guys out. I have no fear of their offense sans-Taylor, I don't think MJD can carry the whole load and Garrard needs a bit of re-proving himself. Their D hasn't been the same since Stroud left for greener teams.

.....aaaaaaaaaand the Colts. Peyton Manning won't be denied. Really going to take something drastic to derail that train, even if the conductor left it on coast and hopped out the caboose. They always seem to focus on offense but really, if they would build their D and let Manning be Manning I bet they'd be tougher.

The Texans. Texans our Texans. Health and some confidence would go a long way to making this team a playoff contender.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
1. The Titans don't care about VY. If he was an integral part of their offense, maybe it would matter. But it doesn't. That team is built on D and running the football. As long as Fisher is their coach, that team is going to be tough.

2. Fred Taylor isn't the important part of the Jags for me. The questions they face are about their offensive line getting healthy, if their D can return to form after the rotation of DC's they've had, and whether Garrard's one good year was just an aberration. Taylor was a great back for them and MJD may not be able to carry the load but if they don't have their line working and healthy, it won't matter who's running the ball.

3. As long as the Spawn of Satan is the Colt's QB, I won't rest easy about them. I'm hoping the coaching changes will have a negative effect. But considering the pacts they've made with the Devil, I don't think that's going to make much of a difference.

But screw all those guys, all we can really worry about is taking care of our own business.

Bolded QFT.
Old 07-01-2009   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

The Titans are a one trick pony. If they can't stop the run next season they won't create many turnovers since they won't force offenses into taking many chances. Teams taking chances after not being able to run on the Titans is what made their defense tough and what Fisher's hybrid defenses thrive on....so they will really, really miss Fat Albert. On offense the Titans can't throw the ball as a primary method of moving the rock so teams will load up and stop their running game more than ever this season. I see the Titans at around .500 this year.

As long as the Colts have Manning they will be tough.

The Jags? Please, we like own them.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
The Titans last concern is Vince Young. For as much shit as we give them we can at least recognize that they know they made the wrong pick and are trying to cover it up. They still got their running game, we'll see if they can pick up the pieces after Haynesworth's departure...everyone knows that D is what they relied on.

The Jagaurs...I'm going to call for them to have a meltdown this year. The organization is in bad shape, seems like every bit of news from them is bad, be it players doing stupid things or Del Rio calling guys out. I have no fear of their offense sans-Taylor, I don't think MJD can carry the whole load and Garrard needs a bit of re-proving himself. Their D hasn't been the same since Stroud left for greener teams.

.....aaaaaaaaaand the Colts. Peyton Manning won't be denied. Really going to take something drastic to derail that train, even if the conductor left it on coast and hopped out the caboose. They always seem to focus on offense but really, if they would build their D and let Manning be Manning I bet they'd be tougher.

The Texans. Texans our Texans. Health and some confidence would go a long way to making this team a playoff contender.
Do you hear that? That's the sound of knowledge being dropped.
Old 07-01-2009   #7
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk258 View Post
1. VY is a side-show in Nashville, but losing Fat Albert will hurt them. But Jeff Fisher was a winning coach long before Albert started playing up to his ability the previous two years. I don't expect that to suddenly stop now.

2. Jags are an enigma right now. Usually, when a team quits as obviously as they did last year (rewatch Slaton's two late TDs against them in our MNF win), the coach is gone. But they are only 18 months removed from winning a playoff game in Pittsburgh and giving the first 16-0 team a solid test the next week. Fred Taylor was/is a good back, but decent RBs are pretty fungible. If there OL is healthy again, this can be a tough team.

3. Reggie Wayne has been the only star WR in Indy for a few years now (assuming you are not counting Dallas Clark), and the Colts have done just fine. As long as they have Peyton, they're a tough out.

I see no reason to believe this division won't be its usual brutal self this season. But I think we finally have a team capable of making headway. Heck, we were a coin-flip and a one-man-meltdown from a 4-2 division recrod last year.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Great post Pencil Neck, and you pretty much summed up every team perfectly.

And I agree about forgetting about what they're going to do. It's all about handling our own business and getting to that next level.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #9
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

The AFC South has changed but I don't expect any of the other teams (Colts, Titans, and Jaguars) to regress. As Pencil Neck said, as long as Peyton Manning is a Colt he WILL find a way to win.

As for the Titans, Jeff Fisher is one of the best HC in the league and his defense will continue to improve and I expect Kerry Collins to get better especially since they have a solid rushing attack.

Del Rio and the Jaguars are also a team to look out for because I doub't they will continue to go down in a downward spiral towards ambiguty. I fully expect there defense to come out strong and carry this team especially sense they have some young and up and comming talent surronding John Henderson and other vets.

As for the Texans I also have high hopes for them and anything short of making it to the playoffs would be a bummer for me.

AFC South shall be an interesting divison in 09'!
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
The AFC South has changed but I don't expect any of the other teams (Colts, Titans, and Jaguars) to regress. As Pencil Neck said, as long as Peyton Manning is a Colt he WILL find a way to win.

As for the Titans, Jeff Fisher is one of the best HC in the league and his defense will continue to improve and I expect Kerry Collins to get better especially since they have a solid rushing attack.
I'm not projecting the rest of the AFC South to go into the tank, but folks...

How about giving Dungy a little credit, along with Moore and Mudd? Manning may be able to roll on with Moore's role, sure let's give him that much credit. Is Manning going to be coaching the OL? Is he going to be the defensive coach Dungy was? Are the coaches really going to not change anything in the way the Colts have done things? - not darn likely.

On the flip side, yes Fisher is good but even he has to deal with the players he has as evidenced by the record when McNair went down, when they were trying to replace George, etc. in the 2004 on transition. You know how many times in his career Kerry Collins has posted QB ratings back to back over 80? - none. Now Fisher has lost a player considered for league MVP - the rock of his D - that counts for something.

The greatest QB's and coaches in league history have all had losing seasons.

As for the Jags, who the hell ever knows what they are going to do? They have had two good seasons and one decent one out of six under Del Rio. The only way they climb into contention in the division is by knocking off the Titans and Colts a couple times as well.
Old 07-01-2009   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to add to I-Caks comments on the Colts. I know the Colts defense was spotty at best, but Ron Meeks did a very nice job with the talent he was given. With a majority of their money being spent on offense, there was only a hand full of notable players on defense. The rest were average to below average.
Old 07-01-2009   #12
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Old 07-01-2009   #13
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think the Titans are going anywhere I think it's gonna be Texans-Titans neck and neck for the division...

As for the Jags, they were a bad team last year and I don't think grandpa Holt or their draft class is gonna save them this year

As for the Colts, we're going to find out just how good of a coach Dungy was now, and I can tell you the answer is a damn good HOF coach, Colts defense will sputter and the offense will be leaned on way too much as usual

Texans....11-5
Titans..... 10-6
Colts.... 8-8
Jags... 5-11
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #14
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well on paper yes your right our divison foes seem to have took a step back while we have grown but when has Paper ever gone our way LOL

I still except our divison games to be like going into WW3

and intill we win like 4 SB i will not think other wise
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #15
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1627 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The Titans are a one trick pony. If they can't stop the run next season they won't create many turnovers since they won't force offenses into taking many chances. Teams taking chances after not being able to run on the Titans is what made their defense tough and what Fisher's hybrid defenses thrive on....so they will really, really miss Fat Albert. On offense the Titans can't throw the ball as a primary method of moving the rock so teams will load up and stop their running game more than ever this season. I see the Titans at around .500 this year.
The Titans offense had its most productive year since '03 and lost nothing... 10 of 11 starters will be back (BJones/McCareins was technically a starter) and Britt and Washington were added, both weapons far greater than anything else available to Collins last year. Your reasoning makes no sense..... Albert's loss will hurt, I agree with that.

The Colts I think will be perfectly fine and I actually predict them to take the division back. Peyton is still Peyton, Dungy going will change things as will Mudd/Moore leaving their posts but all three were replaced from inside the organization so there should be little change in philosophy.

Jacksonville has to be better, the injuries they suffered last year were to the most important aspect of their team: the offensive and defensive lines, they can't win like that. They drafter well on offense and if they keep their defensive front seven healthy they'll be ok. Their DBs can struggle outside of Mathis, though, and I would never put faith into Del Rio, I think he's just bad. He has the right mentality for what they can do (physical, run, defend) but I just don't think he'll ever lead them anywhere.

Houston is the Cinderella everyone is looking at this year, and for good reason. A young, fast defensive front seven who can get to the passer, stop the run and drop back into coverage, an offensive line and running back who fit perfectly into the ZBS (again, not a knock on Slaton), a receiver and tight end few teams wouldn't want and a QB who can get them the ball. But can they finally put it together? I think this is the year to get over the hump, and may even make the playoffs.

Colts 11-5
Titans 10-6
Texans 10-6
Jags 8-8
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As long as the Colts have Manning they will be tough.

The Jags? Please, we like own them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post
The Titans offense had its most productive year since '03 and lost nothing... 10 of 11 starters will be back (BJones/McCareins was technically a starter) and Britt and Washington were added, both weapons far greater than anything else available to Collins last year. Your reasoning makes no sense..... Albert's loss will hurt, I agree with that.
Britt and Washington?

The Texans offense was 18 teams better than your offense and you think adding Nate Washington will really change your offense that much for the better? He's no Derrick Mason if that's what you are thinking. The Baltimore playoff game went down the tubes when CJ went out....you guys couldn't score more than one td with Collins pulling the trigger and the running game shut down as they totally focused on stopping your running game. Kenny Britt? Pleeeeease. Rookie WR out of a small college? wake me up in 2010 on him.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #17
GermanTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 22 GermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of Famer

Titans couldnt do the same stuff like last year. they lost haynesworth, and now everyone knows that chris johnson is a fast great running back... but the pass offense isnt good enough to have playoff caliber... think titans will go 6-10...
Jacksonville had a bad year and will try to step up but the schedule is to hard to them... 6-10... like the titans...
Colts are a very good team they will get 12-4 with their schedule... I think Anthony Gonzales will have a good year...
And our Texans hopefully will get the 10-6 if schaub stays healthy and the secondary does a better job in fact of the better pass rush.
Old 07-02-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post

Jacksonville has to be better, the injuries they suffered last year were to the most important aspect of their team: the offensive and defensive lines, they can't win like that. They drafter well on offense and if they keep their defensive front seven healthy they'll be ok. Their DBs can struggle outside of Mathis, though, and I would never put faith into Del Rio, I think he's just bad. He has the right mentality for what they can do (physical, run, defend) but I just don't think he'll ever lead them anywhere.

Houston is the Cinderella everyone is looking at this year, and for good reason. A young, fast defensive front seven who can get to the passer, stop the run and drop back into coverage, an offensive line and running back who fit perfectly into the ZBS (again, not a knock on Slaton), a receiver and tight end few teams wouldn't want and a QB who can get them the ball. But can they finally put it together? I think this is the year to get over the hump, and may even make the playoffs.
The titans success came directly from the running game and defense. On paper the defense has lost a major piece in Fat Al. If you are hanging any kind of hope on Collins and 2nd and 3rd tier WR's then you're in trouble. BUT, even though the titans have looked average at best on paper the past couple of seasons, they still seem to over-achieve on the field. Plus the fact that Fisher's a very good coach and he'll have his team ready. It sucks he's still with the titans.

The Jaguars defense wasn't the same when Stroud left.

As far as the bolded, you must be seeing into the future. Our defense hasn't been anything you mentioned.
Old 07-02-2009   #19
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1627 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Britt and Washington?

The Texans offense was 18 teams better than your offense and you think adding Nate Washington will really change your offense that much for the better? He's no Derrick Mason if that's what you are thinking. The Baltimore playoff game went down the tubes when CJ went out....you guys couldn't score more than one td with Collins pulling the trigger and the running game shut down as they totally focused on stopping your running game. Kenny Britt? Pleeeeease. Rookie WR out of a small college? wake me up in 2010 on him.
I never said Britt and Washington were anything special, just that they are an upgrade over anything Collins had available (outside of Gage who is a solid receiver). Replacing Jones/McCareins with Britt/Washington has to be an upgrade, it just has to be.

Teams geared up against the run all the time last year and CJ/LenDale still had a great year as a group. Best example was the Chicago game, they allowed nothing out of the backfield and Collins tore them up with Brandon Jones and Gage, two receivers. The receivers were upgraded and the offense lost nothing elsewhere so who's to say they are going to be worse? You're damn right about CJ going down, but you can't bank on that. What happens if AJ misses the year for you guys? Won't turn out as well as you're hoping.

I just don't see it on paper, which is what we are all going by right now.

Last edited by Bulluck53; 07-02-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2009   #20
Bulluck53
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The titans success came directly from the running game and defense. On paper the defense has lost a major piece in Fat Al. If you are hanging any kind of hope on Collins and 2nd and 3rd tier WR's then you're in trouble. BUT, even though the titans have looked average at best on paper the past couple of seasons, they still seem to over-achieve on the field. Plus the fact that Fisher's a very good coach and he'll have his team ready. It sucks he's still with the titans.

The Jaguars defense wasn't the same when Stroud left.

As far as the bolded, you must be seeing into the future. Our defense hasn't been anything you mentioned.
My point is, if the offense got it done with less talent than they have now, then why do people think they will be worse? Defenses can do little different than what they were doing by the end of the season last year and the offense still produced. I understand the defense will be weaker, but it will still be in the top half of the league.

I think your defense has speed. Mario and Smith off the edge. Ryans, Cushing, June. If Dunta is 100%. Ryans and June can defend the pass (thats basically all June has done his whole career) and I imagine Cushing can if he was drafted 15th overall as an OLB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read