Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Friday Night Lights!

nflnutswife

Veteran
Anyone rent this movie? Great true story about the state championship game against west Texas, & East Texas (Dallas) and (Odessa) 1988. Tim Macgraw plays an abusive alcoholic father. Other than The Replacements, I'm rankin this one the top 10 football movies!

Settles the off season withdrawls LOL

nflnutswife said:
Anyone rent this movie? Great true story about the state championship game against west Texas, & East Texas (Dallas) and (Odessa) 1988. Tim Macgraw plays an abusive alcoholic father. Other than The Replacements, I'm rankin this one the top 10 football movies!

Settles the off season withdrawls LOL

Yes, I rented it, and I thought it was a good flick. But, on the advice of a friend, I bought the book. I'm only a quarter of the way through it, and I can tell you it's already 10 times better. If you're interested in a good read, get this book.

I lived it. I was in Midland in 1988...went to the Midland-Permian game.

Alot is changed in the movie from real life (school names, who they played in the playoffs, the fact that the final game was not really the state championship)

I liked it, but I did not think it was a great movie. The best part was the game in the Astrodome. They were on the Houston Oilers turf, seeing that was the best part of the movie.

I rented it. I liked it alot, but didn't love it. I would definetely recommend it. I would give it a B+. It kind of reminded me of Hoosiers, although this was at least loosely based on a true story, unlike Hoosiers, which was based off of the idea Indiana basketball lore, but wasn't based on a true story. I think I liked Hoosiers a bit better, but that's me. Recent football movies I liked at least as well were Radio, and Remember the Titans.

It was good but not great, and intriguing because of the local ties. I didn't care for Billy Bob Thornton's character Coach Gaines at all. This movie is not in the same class as Denzell's best Remember the Titans - or Radio for that matter.

I liked the movie but I loved the book...and I dont say that for many books.

There was two things that really made me mad though. One being, to the best of my knowledge, Permian never made it to state but lost to Dallas Carter in the "final four." Now I could be wrong and it could be a case of me last reading the book at the beginning of last semester but I hope someone will correct me if I am but I just didnt like that. The second one was that they took out the whole part about Dallas Carter not being able to participate in the game because of them allowing a failing student-athelete to play. That was one of the biggest parts of the book. Its in the deleted scenes section of the DVD version...

I saw the movie and thought it was good, but not great. If I am not mistaken, the game was not for the State campionship. I also liked the bit part that Willowridge band had, albeit dressed in another band's uniform.

I don't usually like football movies. The action scenes are often horrible. I really liked this. I bought it the day after I rented it. What I liked about it was that fact that it showed the nature of high school football in Texas. Sure they Hollywooded it up and changed important facts, but the overall feel seemed authentic.

I liked Remember the Titans. I never saw Radio. Is it that good? I really didn't like Any Given Sunday. Combining Oliver Stone with football is like letting a feminist run a beauty contest. It isn't a good mix.

Panther5407 said:
Pretty good just I still think Remember the Titans blows it away.

Been 3 times and it's all gone, but I hope it's not. To me RemTheTitans it was the Titanic of football. WAAAAAY overrated.

chicagotexan said:
Been 3 times and it's all gone, but I hope it's not. To me RemTheTitans it was the Titanic of football. WAAAAAY overrated.

*nod* I liked both of those movies, but I didn't think either was great.

:howdy: The book is not nearly as rosy if I remember right .After Boobie Miles could not play anymore they had no use for him he was a nobody . The way the school allotted money was mind boggling . Football before Math,English and so on.

If you realize that the football team was their professional sports team, it makes a lot more sense.

Have to say, coming from California to Texas we were amazed at the intensity Texas high schools play their sports programs, for businesses to close on a friday night to watch a game. . .That kind of total support was not as prevelant in California. It's to be admired!

I thought some of the extras on the DVD were as good as the movie. Make sure and watch the commentary with the real players. The interview with Miles is especially enlightening, and if anyone has a HS kid in sports, that is falling behind in school work...make them watch this!

Radio is more about life than football, but it is very uplifting. If you liked Rudy, you'll love Radio. It's a 'warm and fuzzy' movie, and is extremely well acted. Cuba Gooding Jr was outstanding.

Porky said:
Radio is more about life than football, but it is very uplifting. If you liked Rudy, you'll love Radio. It's a 'warm and fuzzy' movie, and is extremely well acted. Cuba Gooding Jr was outstanding.

I am usually not into sentimental films like Rudy. Occasionally one will touch me, but I think they are a bit overdone. That is why I never saw Seabiscuit.

i have to agree i think it was one of the best football movies of all times. I think you can relate more to it if ya played high school football such as i did, and its nearly the same, huntsville is a pretty dedicated football town that i played for, and i related a lot with the movie and the kind of pressure the players felt !

Permian lost to Judson, right?
Then Carter beat Judson, right?
Then Carter beat Redbird Mall out of some merchandise, right?
And history records Judson as the champs that year.

You could not write a better story...oh, that really happened.

The story the movie told was good but the parts they left out, (Boobie, the real outcome, etc...) would have been epic.

Its still no "Titans" by a long shot. Hell its not even a "program"

the book was a lot better than the movie, mainly because the book was able to get more in depth. i liked reading the espn articles about the differences between the book and movie

Link

Back