Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-27-2009   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Three Texans make Prisco's top 50

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11892651

excellent write up on Andre Johnson -
Quote:
One name on this year's list is sure to ignite the you-know-what storm. It's Andre Johnson, the Houston Texans receiver, who is fourth on my list.

Some might say he's not even the best receiver in the league -- with Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald getting the nod -- but I beg to differ. Johnson is slightly better than Fitzgerald in my book. It's just that most of the nation hasn't paid enough to attention to Johnson to realize it.

I remember when I first put Johnson on my list after his rookie season in 2004, there were plenty of rips about it. But I remember then-Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer telling me I nailed it.

"That kid will be special," Palmer said.

And now he is. Johnson led the NFL in both catches (115) and yards (1,575) last season, averaging 98.2 yards per game. By comparison, Fitzgerald had 96 catches for 1,431 yards, averaging 89.4. Fitzgerald had 12 touchdown catches to eight for Johnson.

It's close. Real close. The postseason is why most would put Fitzgerald over Johnson. He stole the national stage. But there are other reasons to make the case for Johnson.

The Texans threw it 75 fewer times than the Cardinals last season. Arizona's Kurt Warner is a better quarterback than Houston's Matt Schaub, and Warner played all 16 games, while Schaub played just 11. Fitzgerald also has Anquan Boldin on the other side, while Johnson has Kevin Walter, a good player who isn't in Boldin's class.

That's why Johnson is ranked two spots higher than Fitzgerald on my list, and probably a lot higher than many of you would expect.
Quote:
4. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans: He's big, strong and corners can't handle him in single coverage. If Schaub stays healthy, his numbers should be huge.
Mario doesn't get enough respect here in my book, with his new linemates I really expect him to also move into top 10 material next off season based on what he accomplishes this coming season -

Quote:
19. Mario Williams, DE, Texans: The past two seasons have taught us that this is a premier pass rusher, even if his sack numbers went down last season. Still think he shouldn't have been the top pick?
DeMeco played hurt but still cracked the top 50 if he can stay healthy I look for him to also move higher -

Quote:
44. DeMeco Ryans, LB, Texans: He's an every-down linebacker who keys the Houston defense. As the team gets more exposure, so will he.
To be fair for a RB to make it into the top 50 in Prisco list its damn difficult. He left off several outstanding, top-tier RB's like rookie offensive player of the year Chris Johnson, Giants powerback Brandon Jacobs & yes Texans do it all RB Steve Slaton. How hard is that to make it on a list when there is so many gifted, taltented athletes, plus it's subjective & influenced by teams success. It's not just RB's noticeably absent in my mind both Super Bowl runner-up Arizona rookie CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie & Jets steller 2nd year CB Darrelle Revis belong. No mention of Dunta Robinson who it would seem wants to get paid like he was already on that list

looking back @ 04 class: Dunta Robinson is the only draft pick still with Texans. It's alot of pressure but for this group to attain lofty goals the Texans & Dunta have to achieve a compromise. Before his injury he was an elite CB worthy of cracking this list, but he has to realize he will never be the same player he once was, still his leadership & personality are infectious so I'll give him benefit of any doubts moving forward. incidently Tennessee didn't benefit like we all think or thought they would when they fleeced Casserly/Capers so he could move up for Babin. Out of 13 picks they have only one starter to show for it (7th rd. Eugene Amano LG) 4 are with other teams & 8 out of the league.

Last edited by beerlover; 06-27-2009 at 05:04 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Three Texans make Prisco's top 50

Cushing will be on that list soon. I've gotten more pumped about him every day, he's going to be hell-on-wheels backing the big boys.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Cushing will be on that list soon. I've gotten more pumped about him every day, he's going to be hell-on-wheels backing the big boys.
Agreed, and he's going to make Mario and everyone else look better. I think Mario would have been in the top 10 on that list had the Texans defense been any good last year, and the fact that writers have to use numbers when they have no idea how else to judge a player, with 2 less sacks last year I see how they ranked him.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn, the Texans have some talent, don't they?

This season, they prove it on the field!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's words like these that make me realize we're still two months away from real football. Crap.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009   #6
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80659 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LZ calls him the Incredible Hulk, he actually does look like him. I never noticed the resemblance until LZ pointed it out.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009   #7
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnson 4th best player in the league, cant argue with that. Some big names never made that list.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-28-2009   #8
Mac#5
Rookie

Rep Power: 8 Mac#5 was voted MVPMac#5 was voted MVPMac#5 was voted MVP

Quote:
Hell-on-wheels sounds like it could be a great nickname. He has to earn it first though
Mac#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #9
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
LZ calls him the Incredible Hulk, he actually does look like him. I never noticed the resemblance until LZ pointed it out.
Have you ever noticed Cushing sounds like Keifer Sutherland?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post

Well he was listed at 245ish at the combine/draft but Kubiak mentioned him running around at 260...that's big for a 6'2'' linebacker. With Demeco hopefully dropping 5 to 10 he still clocks in at 240/245 and Adibi around 235/240 there is some decent size to the LB corps.

He looked like he was going pop out of his suit during the interviews shortly after the draft. I'll bet they've had arm wrestling contests in the locker room...I wonder who the top 3 would be...

Probably
1. Mario
2. Cushing
3. Okam
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Prisco's list shows just how deep the talent pool is in the NFL. Why people become rabid fans of the sport & always on the look out for who's next. Cushing would fit into that category. Before Hines Ward broke Keith Rivers jaw, the former Trojan looked like he belonged on this list, Cushing needs to aware of his backside @ all times & stay healthy.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read