Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-26-2009   #1
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Best & Worst FA signings

Stolen concept from ITB.com expanded upon:

Name the best and worst FA signings - not expansion draft, not trades (RFA compensation does not count as a trade) - for the Texans. For refinement, two pairs - best and worst on the day of the signing and in hindsight.

Mine:

At the time: Mark Bruener & Robaire Smith

After the fact: Vonte Leach (Kevin Walter in 1a) & Todd Wade

Last edited by infantrycak; 06-26-2009 at 08:38 AM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #2
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best & Worst FA signings

To bad you had to go with the RFA comment. I think Kris Brown would've taken that one.

At the time Steve McKinney looked like the best FA signing. Worst FA signing Matt Stevens.

Hindsight I agree on Vonta Leach, guy has been a monster at FB. Much as i hated seeing Matt Stevens roaming the secondary, Anthony Weaver goes down as the biggest waste of a contract ever.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

best - antonio smith

worst - ahman green
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #4
Ckw

Best - Kevin Walter
Worst - Todd Wade (sorry to steal yours icak but the guy was a major bust for us)
Old 06-26-2009   #5
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24274 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

At the time - best - A Green
worst - J Reeves

Now - best - K Walter
worst - A Weaver (Mr. Invisible)

Last edited by Grams; 06-26-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The free agent signing that had me most excited about the possibilities at the time was Eric Moulds. I had visions of AJ and Moulds just going wild on the rest of the division. The one I was most unhappy about was Ahman Green. I just never believed from the day it happened.

In hindsight I'd have to say that the best free agent signing had to be Kevin Walter. I had no idea why we wanted this guy and now he's a force. The worst was (unfortunately) Ahman Green who basically held our running game hostage for the better part of three seasons. Anthony Weaver is a close second.

Todd Wade was (IMO) more a victim of circumstance than anything else. The guy starts 61 games for Miami in four years and is perfectly adequate before coming here and seeing his career wither and die. Houston before Kubiak got here was like some kind of offensive lineman burial ground or something. Rookies didn't develop and veterans regressed. It was like the third circle of offensive lineman hell playing here.
Old 06-26-2009   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
In hindsight I'd have to say that the best free agent signing had to be Kevin Walter. I had no idea why we wanted this guy and now he's a force. The worst was (unfortunately) Ahman Green who basically held our running game hostage for the better part of three seasons. Anthony Weaver is a close second.
idk how anyone can say green was worse than weaver, especially given the money each signed for. green played well the few games a season he was healthy. weaver was crap from game 1 to game 48.

just to spice things up il mention deljuan, briesel & eugene wilson as pretty solid pick ups
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2009   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
best - antonio smith

worst - ahman green
Perhaps you are new to Texan fandom because Ahman Green doesn't even make the top 5 worst signing list:

1. Robaire Smith
2. Todd Wade
3. Anthony Weaver
4. Morlon Greenwood
5 (tie). Victor Riley/ Matt Stevens

Best:

1. Mike Briesel
2. Kevin Walter (RFA)
3. Eugene Wilson
4. Jacques Reeves
5. Jeff Posey
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The free agent signing that had me most excited about the possibilities at the time was Eric Moulds. I had visions of AJ and Moulds just going wild on the rest of the division. The one I was most unhappy about was Ahman Green. I just never believed from the day it happened.

Todd Wade was (IMO) more a victim of circumstance than anything else. The guy starts 61 games for Miami in four years and is perfectly adequate before coming here and seeing his career wither and die. Houston before Kubiak got here was like some kind of offensive lineman burial ground or something. Rookies didn't develop and veterans regressed. It was like the third circle of offensive lineman hell playing here.

He was even worse when he went to Washington. Considering he got a big signing bonus and about $25 million contract, I'd say it was a pretty darn bad contract. More than that, his dead money and lack of productivity were two of many factors that forced the organization to sign Ahman Green- he was all that we could afford and we needed 2 tackles- both of which we acquired in the draft instead of going after a RB on the 1st day.
Old 06-26-2009   #10
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Perhaps you are new to Texan fandom because Ahman Green doesn't even make the top 5 worst signing list:

1. Robaire Smith
2. Todd Wade
3. Anthony Weaver
4. Morlon Greenwood

Best:

1. Mike Briesel
2. Kevin Walter (RFA)
3. Eugene Wilson
4. Jacques Reeves
5. Jeff Posey
I disagree with him too, but hey, it's his opinion.

Best at the time: Weaver; I was really excited about getting a DE after the year of dismal pass rush...of course, that leads us to...
Worst after the fact: Weaver

Best after the fact: Walter
Worst at the time: Victor Riley
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
Worst at the time: Victor Riley
I thought about Riley but for after the fact. At the time I thought it was a blah signing of a backup. I think that is what Casserly brought him in to be. Then the dunder headed coaches started his turnstyle butt giving a new definition to swing tackle.

After the fact he loses in my mind because of the money factor. Sure he sucked, but he didn't also eat $10 mil in cap space.
Old 06-26-2009   #12
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Robaire Smith
2. Todd Wade
3. Anthony Weaver
4. Morlon Greenwood
i'm not sure i'd have Greenwood on my list. i mean he did get replaced by a rook this year but he was borderline solid for the rest of the time he was here. you're probably counting his contract into your analysis and granted, it was a fat one, its still third on the list of our largest cap casualties behind Weaver and Green.

probably my biggest disappointment was the signing of Jeb Putzier. first off the guy looks like the guy from Remember the Titans so that got me excited and then you look at his numbers and it looked like he was an up and comer having 36 and 37 catches for the Broncos the two years before signing here and by the end of TC he had dropped from our number 1 TE to 3 behind a rook and a relic. very disappointed.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #13
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

How is Robaire Smith a "worst" FA signee, I thought he had a solid two seasons with us when we were running our 3-4 defense. Sure he didn't get a lot of sacks but he did make 68 tackles his last season with us and was solid on our defensive line.

Old School -

Best: Jeff Posey

Worst: Todd Wade

New School -

Best: Kevin Walter

Worst: Ahman Green
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
How is Robaire Smith a "worst" FA signee, I thought he had a solid two seasons with us when we were running our 3-4 defense. Sure he didn't get a lot of sacks but he did make 68 tackles his last season with us and was solid on our defensive line.

Old School -

Best: Jeff Posey

Worst: Todd Wade

New School -

Worst: Ahman Green

Robaire Smith was an unmotivated, fat, lazy turd who spent two years here before destroying our cap. We signed him for over $30 million and ended up with about $9 million dead money on our '06 books.
Old 06-26-2009   #15
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Worst: Anthony Weaver

Best runner up: Vonta Leach

Worst runner up: Morlon Greenwood
Old 06-26-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
i'm not sure i'd have Greenwood on my list. i mean he did get replaced by a rook this year but he was borderline solid for the rest of the time he was here. you're probably counting his contract into your analysis and granted, it was a fat one, its still third on the list of our largest cap casualties behind Weaver and Green.

probably my biggest disappointment was the signing of Jeb Putzier. first off the guy looks like the guy from Remember the Titans so that got me excited and then you look at his numbers and it looked like he was an up and comer having 36 and 37 catches for the Broncos the two years before signing here and by the end of TC he had dropped from our number 1 TE to 3 behind a rook and a relic. very disappointed.
The quality of a FA signing in the salary cap era is all about the cost of the contract. Every move made has an impact on the next move. Guys on my list like Wade, Robaire Smith had enormous impact on the team's ability to sign players- even 2 years after they were no longer on the team.

Jacques Reeves certainly isn't the CB that Nate Clements is... but, he was a much better signing than Clements' $80 million contract.
Old 06-26-2009   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed that the Moulds looked good when it occurred, but he was acquired via trade (5th round pick), not free agency.
Old 06-26-2009   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Best - Kevin Walter

Worst - Ahman Green

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1. Robaire Smith
2. Todd Wade
3. Anthony Weaver
4. Morlon Greenwood

Best:

1. Mike Briesel
2. Kevin Walter (RFA)
3. Eugene Wilson
4. Jacques Reeves
5. Jeff Posey
Too many bad signings with the old regime to count....Ahman Green is the worst FA signing from the new regime whom appears to know what they're doing so I guess thats why its extra notable in my mind. I can agree with your Best list though
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was even worse when he went to Washington. Considering he got a big signing bonus and about $25 million contract, I'd say it was a pretty darn bad contract. More than that, his dead money and lack of productivity were two of many factors that forced the organization to sign Ahman Green- he was all that we could afford and we needed 2 tackles- both of which we acquired in the draft instead of going after a RB on the 1st day.
Casserly gave him OLT money. He was signed to be a OLT. But one problem, Casserly had the worse pro scouting department ever. And Wade was not capable of playing OLT. He was at best a washed up ORT in a power scheme. Bad signing because the GM did not know the player did not have the skills to play the position he was signed to play.

BTW they already had sign their ORT in Weigert, they had to move him to RG when Wade did not fit the LT.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read