Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-24-2009   #1
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFLN: Player to Start A Franchise With

According to Warren Sapp... Mario.

That was a surprise to me. Of all the guys in the NFL, the guy that Sapp would choose to start his franchise is Mario Williams. He said you could see that Mario was getting it.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFLN: Player to Start A Franchise With

heres the link to the piece

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...rs_topheadline

sapp likes our texans obviously. showing aj & now mario plenty of love
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting question.

Not to turn this into yet another Charley Casserly bashing thread but.....

How stupid was it to start a brand new franchise with a quarterback?

In this sense, Sapp is dead right. And with Sapp's strategy in mind, who should the Texans have taken back in 2002 with the first overall pick?

JULIUS PEPPERS.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

lol just watched the rest...

jamie dukes selects................... MIKE VICK! how does they justify employing a dope like that in times like these.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #5
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

jamie dukes selects................... MIKE VICK! how does they justify employing a dope like that in times like these.

Are you serious?

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, I kinda quit watching it at that point. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #7
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That's just too damn funny.

There always has to be the guy that says something just to raise eyebrows and be the "yeah, I said it" guy, Jaimie Dukes seems to be that guy.

The Houston Marios... sounds good to me.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2009   #8
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

While I'm confused as to why this thread is advertising Minneapolis foreclosed homes, I have a suggestrion.

The opposing QB pocket shall now be known as....Super Mario World.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

jamie dukes is clinically stupid keep that in mind.... after mario's rookie year he called him the second coming of courtney brown called him a bust and completely dumped all over him
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #10
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Interesting question.

In this sense, Sapp is dead right. And with Sapp's strategy in mind, who should the Texans have taken back in 2002 with the first overall pick?

JULIUS PEPPERS.
The way I remember it, Carr was drafted after Tony Beselli was wearing his Texans jersey. I think had they known he would never play a down, they would have never used the 1st draft pick on Carr.
Old 06-24-2009   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting question.

JULIUS PEPPERS.
Unless that guy is Peyton Manning. Qb isn't a bad idea but better do your homework on the guy and Casserly def didn't do his homework on David Carr.

Honestly much as I really like Mario and his place on the team....I'd take Peyton 10 out of 10 times.

However, it is good to hear positive stuff about the Texans especially Mario Williams. Really far cry from the 2006 draft and his rookie season. Can't help be proud of the young man and how he's handled the it all.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #12
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
The way I remember it, Carr was drafted after Tony Beselli was wearing his Texans jersey. I think had they known he would never play a down, they would have never used the 1st draft pick on Carr.
I think your post just underscores my point that CC was an *****.

How did the Texans not know Boselli would never play another down?

I think it's pretty clear the Jags knew....
Old 06-24-2009   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

no one knew that was going to happen to carr he was a sure fire safe pick

and young all star QB and was projected the top in the QB class that year

me tho i would of started with the D line then O line then maybe get a RB first then a vet QB on the market

yes i wouldnt mean a win now type of thing but at least 5 years down the road u can safe u have a tough team
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think your post just underscores my point that CC was an *****.

How did the Texans not know Boselli would never play another down?

I think it's pretty clear the Jags knew....
Maybe because the NFL had independently said Boselli was fit while saying Roaf wasn't. Maybe it was a conspiracy of idiots.

Maybe because the shoulder that ultimately kept Boselli from playing was the one that was just "cleaned out" instead of the shoulder that was injured during the season. Not sure the Jags were looking to get their doc sued for malpractice.
Old 06-24-2009   #15
TexansFanatic
Extremist

I have to say, I was excited about Carr in the beginning. He looked like Hollywood's idea of the perfect quarterback and had just had a monster season at Fresno State.

BUT, I think it's pretty clear now you don't start a franchise with a quarterback. And I think this should have been obvious to the boys running our team in '02.
Old 06-24-2009   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that I think is so great about Mario, and the reason Sapp probably picked him - is that we Texans fans watch all the games, and we watch Mario very closely - and we can all tell that as great is Mario is right now - you can absolutely see that he can get better - even MUCH better. Pretty scary... for the other guys.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
BUT, I think it's pretty clear now you don't start a franchise with a quarterback. And I think this should have been obvious to the boys running our team in '02.
Not even sure you can say that for Capers' expansion teams as a rule. He tried the same thing twice. Once it flopped on the field and once it worked out (with a post playoff appearance off the field flop, now recovered) - we just didn't get the lucky side of that equation.

Who knows what would have happened with Couch if he hadn't broken his leg at the end of a play-off bound regular season and suffered other injuries to boot.
Old 06-25-2009   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Hindsight is 20/20. Its easy to go back now and say they were stupid for taking David Carr. After we won that Dallas game, I doubt too many fans were down on the decision. If it was so easy to predict which QBs would succeed and which would fail, the NFL would be a lot different. We messed up on a draft pick. It happens
Old 06-25-2009   #19
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. Its easy to go back now and say they were stupid for taking David Carr. After we won that Dallas game, I doubt too many fans were down on the decision. If it was so easy to predict which QBs would succeed and which would fail, the NFL would be a lot different. We messed up on a draft pick. It happens
I am no genius but was screaming at anyone who would listen that the Texans should have taken Peppers. I thought Carr would do well, but you don't start with a QB. You get a vet to babysit.

I saw Sapp pick Mario. But that Mike Vick crap...lol...it was quickly back to regular TV.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
The thing that I think is so great about Mario, and the reason Sapp probably picked him - is that we Texans fans watch all the games, and we watch Mario very closely - and we can all tell that as great is Mario is right now - you can absolutely see that he can get better - even MUCH better. Pretty scary... for the other guys.
I agree! There's a part of me that would like to see him take a few Taekwondo classes to sharpen his hand and feet skills. A little Taekwondo and another "move" or two added to his repertoire would likely be devastating to anything in his path.

I need to remember to mention this to him if I see him out wheelin again. I always tend to forget crap that I want to run by him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read