Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-31-2005   #21
Chawky1
Veteran

Default Walter Jones

Here is what I said on these boards a number of weeks ago:

"I didn't sit down to review the whole list of upcoming free agents yet, but Walter Jones won't be tagged. We have Hass, Alexander, and Jones as the big three and all unrestricted. You can only tag one player. Seahawks brass feels that Jones wants way more than he is worth, and will probably let him test the market, and allow the market to dictate his salary. I think he will be available, but at a steep price. I mean he literally wants to be paid as the highest offensive lineman in the league. His agent has been bending us over and taking us prison style the last three years straight."

You probably won't be able to get him given the number of holes you have. From everything I have read in the past few weeks in terms of Seahawks news our priorities are as follows:
1) Sign Hass - no problem
2) Sign Lucas - no problem
3) Sign Jones - iffy....he wants to be T H E highest paid LT in the LEAGUE
4) Franchise Alexander - get awesome compensation for a top three RB in the league..he doesnt want to play here and we won't keep him
5) Sign Okeafor - iffy
6) Other FA's - we have like 16 to be resigned...
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005   #22
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

If the Seahawks franchise Alexander and he is not signed by another team, then don't the Seahawks have to pay him the average of the top 5 RB's in the league. That would place them in a much worse cap situation than just letting him go.
Old 02-01-2005   #23
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I would franchise jones, and draft a RB.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005   #24
dan7
Veteran

Default Franchise Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_ROCK
I would franchise jones, and draft a RB.
Agreed......let's hope that the Seahawks Front Office takes your advice!
Old 02-01-2005   #25
Jakebrake
Rookie

the hawks arent going to franchise Alexander, never happen. they'll franchise Jones. Hasslebeck isnt going anywhere. Alexander is 100% gone daddy gone.
Jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005   #26
Chawky1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakebrake
the hawks arent going to franchise Alexander, never happen. they'll franchise Jones. Hasslebeck isnt going anywhere. Alexander is 100% gone daddy gone.
Not true...Jones is asking for way too much money and no one will pay him what he wants. I can think of at least 10 teams, who would take Alexander in a heartbeat over their current RB. I can think of 32 teams who would take him if the salary cap werent an issue with signing/releasing players. Even if Alexander gets tagged, I'm sure a few teams will make a run at him. Also, I'd imagine the salary structure for a top tier RB and a top tier LT isn't too far off, considering LT is one of the most important positions on the field.
Old 02-01-2005   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawky1
Even if Alexander gets tagged, I'm sure a few teams will make a run at him. Also, I'd imagine the salary structure for a top tier RB and a top tier LT isn't too far off, considering LT is one of the most important positions on the field.
There is a pretty big split between the tag numbers for RB's and LT's and it is in favor of the LT's. Last year's franchise # for LT's was $7.02 mil--for RB's it was $5.2.

As for what happens if Alexander gets tagged, the market for RB's going in the 1st round hasn't been that good the last few years. I suspect there won't be a huge rush to give up two 1st round picks plus a big fat contract to get Alexander--but it only takes one sucker.
Old 02-04-2005   #28
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope the Texans go after Jones if he is able to test the waters. LT has been a nightmare ever since Tony.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005   #29
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
What were they thinking on Walker?
Nothing ? Cass had a real bad senior moment ? That is truly a hard one to figure out. But to me this is the defining point when an X team truely becomes
just like other teams in the NFL - they have the same kinda cap considerations and problems as the majority of the rest of the league.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005   #30
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
They really really don't have the money...to be flat out honest...

Odds are they wont get a big time guy b/c of the big time money...they are the 8th worst cap room team as of right now.
Hey 88! Clear up something for me. On houstonprofootball.com there is a break down on Houston's cap figures. There is a disclaimor that this eval may be off some due to way bonuses are paid but should be fairly close. Now saying all that, this site says the Texans top 51 is $69,864,803 leaving apprx. $15, 635, 197 under for 2005. I know rookies & free agents must be looked at
but $15 mill sounds like a lot. Also, players like Jay Foreman $2+m; Joppru or Breuner may not be back.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005   #31
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Well for those of us who wanted to see Walter Jones sign with the Texans, we can all let that go.

He signed a seven year 52.5 million dollar deal with the Seahawks

today.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1992773
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #32
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride
Well for those of us who wanted to see Walter Jones sign with the Texans, we can all let that go.

He signed a seven year 52.5 million dollar deal with the Seahawks

today.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1992773

That is a lot of money to spend when they still have to sign Hasselback and Alexander.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #33
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
That is a lot of money to spend when they still have to sign Hasselback and Alexander.
That's how much the Texans would have to spend if he turned free agent. It's interesting how much you want this player or that, until you find out how much they are going to cost.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005   #34
Chawky1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey
Drops the Seahawks cap space from $24 mil to $19 mil left for signings. It really isn't THAT bad and is much better than the last three years where it was a bigger hit each year. This was actually a really good signing when he is a top 3 LT in the league.

If Hass and Shaun both get resigned, then I see players like Chad Brown or Wistrom being asked to be restructured. This probably won't happen though with Shaun not coming back.
Old 02-19-2005   #35
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawky1
Drops the Seahawks cap space from $24 mil to $19 mil left for signings. It really isn't THAT bad and is much better than the last three years where it was a bigger hit each year. This was actually a really good signing when he is a top 3 LT in the league.

If Hass and Shaun both get resigned, then I see players like Chad Brown or Wistrom being asked to be restructured. This probably won't happen though with Shaun not coming back.
I didn't know the Seahawks had so much cap room. I guess I'm thinking more like what the Texans have for cap room.
Old 02-19-2005   #36
bckey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
That's how much the Texans would have to spend if he turned free agent. It's interesting how much you want this player or that, until you find out how much they are going to cost.
I would still have signed him. I was making the comment because they had 3 key big name players to resign.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read