Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-22-2009   #1
Killer Bee
Rookie

Rep Power: 487 Killer Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 53 Man Roster

It’s the dead season and we’re all bored, so here’s my way too early roster prediction. I think it’s pretty well balanced.

Offense 26

QB 3
Matt Schaub
Dan Orlovsky
Rex Grossman

WR 5
Andre Johnson
Kevin Walter
Andre Davis
David Anderson
Jacoby Jones

RB 4
Steve Slaton
Chris Brown
Ryan Moats
Arian Foster

OL 8
Eric Winston
Duane Brown
Chris Myers
Chester Pitts
Mike Brisiel
Rashad Butler
Antoine Caldwell
Adrian Jones

FB 2
Vonta Leach
Boomer Grigsby

TE 4
Owen Daniels
Joel Dreesen
Anthony Hill
James Casey

Defense 24

DL 9
Mario Williams
Antonio Smith
Amobi Okoye
Travis Johnson
Connor Barwin
Tim Bulman
DelJuan Robinson
Shaun Cody
Frank Okam

LB 6
DeMeco Ryans
Bryan Cushing
Xavier Adibi
Kevin Bentley
Zac Diles
Cato June

CB 5
Dunta Robinson
Jacques Reeves
Fred Bennett
Antwaun Molden
Glover Quin

S 4
Eugene Wilson
Nick Ferguson
Dominique Barber
Troy Nolan

Special Teams 3

Kris Brown (K)
Matt Turk (P)
Clark Harris (LS)

Practice Squad 8

Alex Brink (QB)
Jeremiah Johnson (RB)
Darnell Jenkins (WR)
Jason Watkins (OT)
Brice McCain (CB)
Mark Parson (CB)
Jesse Nading (DE)
Josh Leonard (DT)

Notable Cuts

Brandon Harrison (S)
Kasey Studdard (G)
Stanley McClover (DE)
Chaun Thompson (LB)
Chris White (C)
Kevis Coley (LB)

Last edited by Killer Bee; 06-22-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #2
Aaron
Rookie

Rep Power: 160 Aaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 53 Man Roster

We won't be keeping 4 RB's and 2 FB's on the active roster...

I doubt Kelvis Coley makes the team while Brandon Harrison gets cut.

Dosen't Harrison still have some practice squad eligibility??
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #3
Killer Bee
Rookie

Rep Power: 487 Killer Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respected

I’m not saying 4 RB and 7 LB will be suiting up, but it’s good for depth and special teams. I cut Harrison because he hasn’t shown anything in two years and I don’t believe he’s practice squad eligible. I concede that 7 LB is very heavy. Your right about Coley being on the edge and that his spot could easily go to a LS, S, or WR. Safety is a little lite but i figured Glover Quin could possible fill in.
Old 06-22-2009   #4
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

That seems pretty dead on to me.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

1. I don't think Grigsby makes it. And I think they'll look at getting either Casey and/or Chris Brown reps at FB. Although if Chris does go there, he'll immediately break.

2. I'll be surprised if we don't have a dedicated long snapper. Clark Harris did OK and I don't expect him to leave.

3. I think we'll carry 9 or 10 OL.

4. I expect 6 linebackers max. IIRC, I expected 6 LB's last year and they started the season with only 5. I really liked how Kevis looked in preseason last year but I don't think he's going to make it.

5. I don't expect Harrison to get cut quite yet.

6. I'm not going to be surprised to see Darnell Jenkins make the squad at WR. And that could be the end of Jacoby.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Brown at FB? That's a joke, right?

PN - I totally agree with your #6. I've already seen someone covering the Texans (I don't recall who) saying that Jacoby has already had a couple of bad muffed punts, and on the other side - Kubiak has said on at least one occasion that Darnell Jenkins is looking really, really strong so far.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #7
Killer Bee
Rookie

Those are good points Pencil Neck except I disagree that we'll carry 9 or 10 OL. In fact I'm going to edit it and add Clark Harris and remove Coley. 7 LB is overkill.

On another note, I expect more speed and fewer big bodies on kick return due to the rule change of only a 3 man wedge.
Old 06-22-2009   #8
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Antoine Caldwell will be the long snapper. Not Casey or Harris.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #9
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I highly doubt Rex will be our number 3 guy, I think he will be in front of Dan O.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Chris Brown at FB? That's a joke, right?
A little bit. Like I said, he'd immediately break.

But he'd be at least as good as Cecil Sapp was in that RB/FB role last year.
Old 06-23-2009   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Those are good points Pencil Neck except I disagree that we'll carry 9 or 10 OL.
How many did we carry most of last year? 9, right?

Brown, Pitts, Myers, Pitts, Winston, Salaam, Studdard, White, Butler

You think we'll drop to 8 with Brown getting more experience?
Old 06-23-2009   #12
Killer Bee
Rookie

I think Antoine Caldwell versatility replaces White and Studdard. My guess is that they had to use an extra roster spot to stash Butler away. I think well be at 8 because both Brown and Butler have gained experience. We normally only suit up only 7 anyway and you could consider Anthony Hill as our 9th.
Old 06-23-2009   #13
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
How many did we carry most of last year? 9, right?

Brown, Pitts, Myers, Pitts, Winston, Salaam, Studdard, White, Butler

You think we'll drop to 8 with Brown getting more experience?
i know you and i might have two pits but how many do you expect the Texans to have?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #14
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I think Antoine Caldwell versatility replaces White and Studdard.
Yup. Spot on. I don't think we'll carry two fb's. I would expect Coley to make the team and June miss out. June and Thompson are on the outside looking in in my opinion. Bently can play all three positions. Adibi and Diles are a lock on one side. Diles can play all three positions as well. Ryans doesn't come off the field. I think it comes down to June Coley and Thompson and who has the most diversity? Who can play multiple positions and be lights out on ST. I would argue that Thompson has the upperhand there but Coley has age on his side. June has experience but I don't think that's worth a roster spot with this much depth at the LB position on this team.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Yup. Spot on. I don't think we'll carry two fb's. I would expect Coley to make the team and June miss out. June and Thompson are on the outside looking in in my opinion. Bently can play all three positions. Adibi and Diles are a lock on one side. Diles can play all three positions as well. Ryans doesn't come off the field. I think it comes down to June Coley and Thompson and who has the most diversity? Who can play multiple positions and be lights out on ST. I would argue that Thompson has the upperhand there but Coley has age on his side. June has experience but I don't think that's worth a roster spot with this much depth at the LB position on this team.
June played Safety in College, was an All-Pro and a Super Bowl Champ. If I am hearing you and another correctly, our returning Texans LB Reserves, from an awful defense, are of more value than Cato June.
Old 06-23-2009   #16
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
June played Safety in College, was an All-Pro and a Super Bowl Champ. If I am hearing you and another correctly, our returning Texans LB Reserves, from an awful defense, are of more value than Cato June.
Sounds like the argument that brought Ahman Green and Roosevelt Colvin here.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Sounds like the argument that brought Ahman Green and Roosevelt Colvin here.
Colvin was 31 and Green was a 30 year old RB. Sounds like your age argument just went boom.
Old 06-23-2009   #18
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
1. I don't think Grigsby makes it. And I think they'll look at getting either Casey and/or Chris Brown reps at FB. Although if Chris does go there, he'll immediately break.

2. I'll be surprised if we don't have a dedicated long snapper. Clark Harris did OK and I don't expect him to leave.

3. I think we'll carry 9 or 10 OL.

4. I expect 6 linebackers max. IIRC, I expected 6 LB's last year and they started the season with only 5. I really liked how Kevis looked in preseason last year but I don't think he's going to make it.

5. I don't expect Harrison to get cut quite yet.

6. I'm not going to be surprised to see Darnell Jenkins make the squad at WR. And that could be the end of Jacoby.
I wouldn't count Grigsby out yet. I hear he is a very good ST player and I think that is the deciding factor for all the potential backups.

You're right about the OL. We've carried 9 (10 counting the LS) at least as long as Kubes has been here and I don't think he will change that.

I agree with 2 and 4 also. Not sure how I feel about 5 and 6. I guess it wouldn't surprise me on them either way.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #19
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Colvin was 31 and Green was a 30 year old RB. Sounds like your age argument just went boom.
What did age have to do with the argument "he was an all-pro and a Superbowl champ"?

By the way, June was the LB for the Superbowl champion team that was one of the worst rush defenses in NFL history. I'm pretty sure Ron Dayne had about 180 yards rushing against them.

I'm not sure what you're bristling about. I like June and I'm glad we signed him. My only assertion is that I would love to see these other guys step up and win these jobs. If that happened and everyone remained healthy, we would be good enough at LB to cut Cato June.

I'm not going to bother to look it up since age has little to do with my argument, but I'm pretty sure that AGreen was 28 when we signed him and 29 for his entire first season. Age really isn't the issue though. Backup LBs need to do more than June does. Usually, they need to backup more than one position (I'd hate to see June at MLB or SLB) and play ST.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #20
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm not going to bother to look it up since age has little to do with my argument, but I'm pretty sure that AGreen was 28 when we signed him and 29 for his entire first season. Age really isn't the issue though. Backup LBs need to do more than June does. Usually, they need to backup more than one position (I'd hate to see June at MLB or SLB) and play ST.
I think you are putting too much stock into LBs playing ST this year. I believe that June will be a specialist at LB at worst, which the new ST rules and our stocking up of TE's affords us.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read