Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-12-2009   #41
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adibi Fills Out and Speaks Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I see where the interpretation comes from. I heard it the same way barrett did.

Adibi "We are going to be playing alot faster than we were in the past."

Brooke: "How does this suit your game, your a pretty fast player."

Adibi: "It suits my game a whole lot, that's how I was in college. That's the way our defense was in college. You know, we were going to be an 8 man front, you know, force the offense to do what we wanted them to do, which is just go to the air, then we could just pin our ears back, blitz and just do what we do best."

He is talking about what they did in college for sure. "We were going to" is a past reference, not a future statement.

It's too bad they mis-interpreted his statement in the article and wrote it as "we are" rather than "we were" because it will confuse alot of people, especially people who can't listen to the video like Nitro. Brooke Bentley didn't do a very good job of reporting here. She even highlighted the misinterpretation.

The past tense is compounded in the next sentence when he says "force the offense to do what we wanted them to do". If he was making a future statement he wouldn't be saying wanted, he would have said want. He then says "we could do..." in the sentence after that one. Again he would have said "can", not "could", if he was talking about the future.
I didn't misunderstand the article though. I've dealt with shoddy transcriptions over the course of my lifetime. One eventually learns to catch what could be incorrect. Especially Brooke's articles. I'm kinda glad she moved on elsewhere. I wouldn't think it'd be too hard to transcribe fluff pieces and that's mainly what she did. Her consistent inaccuracy in her transcriptions reeked of laziness to me.

Don't misunderstand. I appreciate the transcriptions though. I'll take it any way I can get it.
Old 07-12-2009   #42
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From watching the video. The quote as Brooke Bentley wrote it is incorrect.

Go back and watch the video, it's pretty easy to hear what he said.

Here's the article, with the video.
See edited version above and it's pretty clear to me he said are, although I can see disputing that, and zero doubt he said can not could.
Old 07-12-2009   #43
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
See edited version above and it's pretty clear to me he said are, although I can see disputing that, and zero doubt he said can not could.
I've listened to it enough times this morning to know that he said "we were", "wanted", and "could", I don't need to look at a poor transcription.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #44
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've listened to it enough times this morning to know that he said "we were", "wanted", and "could", I don't need to look at a poor transcription.
Well we will just have to agree to disagree then because I listened to it a bunch of times and think it is very clearly correctly transcribed.
Old 07-12-2009   #45
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well we will just have to agree to disagree then because I listened to it a bunch of times and think it is very clearly correctly transcribed.
Guess so. It would be interesting to see how others heard it, because I am 100% certain of what I heard, you seem to be as well.

It's a pretty big difference and worth figuring out.
Old 07-12-2009   #46
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Guess so. It would be interesting to see how others heard it, because I am 100% certain of what I heard, you seem to be as well.

Not really. It was just a fluff piece. The offseason's slow.
Old 07-12-2009   #47
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Not really. It was just a fluff piece. The offseason's slow.
Well if we are going to line up in 8 man fronts pretty often next season I think that is pretty significant when you look at the limited information we have about our new defensive approach. All I know is that we look to be more aggressive and attacking while keeping practically the same scheme.
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2009   #48
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard what IFC heard.

Again, we were doing it (the 8-man front) quite a bit when we had the right personnel (or we thought we did).

I had brought up Jason Simmons as an example the year before.
With Simmons, we played mostly single safety.

What I think Adibi saw was that Indy game in which both teams were so concerned about the other's ability to strike deep that both played more conservative with two-deep safeties.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well if we are going to line up in 8 man fronts pretty often next season I think that is pretty significant when you look at the limited information we have about our new defensive approach. All I know is that we look to be more aggressive and attacking while keeping practically the same scheme.
I think last year when the coaches began to feel comfortable with Adibi and Dunta (and his health status), we played more attacking 8-man front with LBs shooting the gaps.

I saw that in the Browns game and the second Jags game (which I've just started to re-review.)
Old 07-12-2009   #50
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good grief, are you guys majorly suffering from off season boredom or what!

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
We're supposed to be watching the game right about now!
Old 07-12-2009   #52
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This may be the greatest off season thread of this year!!! I watched it again cuz... uh... now it's kind of funny, I am standing pat with TS on this one. Past tense references. No question in my mind.

WHO'S WITH US?!?!?!

IF YOU'RE NOT... YOU'RE AGAINST US!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How did we normally line up on ST, I wonder?
continuing with some of the football talk, I watched some kickoffs and I found it very hard to see who was lined up and where because of the camera angle.

On two seperate kickoffs in GB, so far I've got Chris White, Chaun Thompson, Kevin Bentley, Morlon Greenwood, Dominique Barber, VONTA, Joel Dreesen, Jacques Reeves, Brandon Harrison, Jesse Nading, Andre Davis Demarcus Faggins Cecil Sapp, Ryan Moats and Frank Okam. Davis returning and covering.

On punts I can make out Reeves, Harrison, Bulman, Thompson, Nading, Dreesen, Faggins and Barber. Jones returning obviously.

The core guys are clearly Thompson, Bentley, Barber, Dreesen, Nading and Davis. And the others seem to switch in and out.

I'd say our ST is basically all the 2's that aren't OLinemen.

Not sure if that helps or not. But there it is.

I'll see who else I can figure out. Rewind is acting screwy.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #53
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
This may be the greatest off season thread of this year!!! I watched it again cuz... uh... now it's kind of funny, I am standing pat with TS on this one. Past tense references. No question in my mind.

WHO'S WITH US?!?!?!

IF YOU'RE NOT... YOU'RE AGAINST US!!!

continuing with some of the football talk, I watched some kickoffs and I found it very hard to see who was lined up and where because of the camera angle.

On two seperate kickoffs in GB, so far I've got Chris White, Chaun Thompson, Kevin Bentley, Morlon Greenwood, Dominique Barber, VONTA, Joel Dreesen, Jacques Reeves, Brandon Harrison, Jesse Nading, Andre Davis Demarcus Faggins Cecil Sapp, Ryan Moats and Frank Okam. Davis returning and covering.

On punts I can make out Reeves, Harrison, Bulman, Thompson, Nading, Dreesen, Faggins and Barber. Jones returning obviously.

The core guys are clearly Thompson, Bentley, Barber, Dreesen, Nading and Davis. And the others seem to switch in and out.

I'd say our ST is basically all the 2's that aren't OLinemen.

Not sure if that helps or not. But there it is.

I'll see who else I can figure out. Rewind is acting screwy.
Thanks

I dont have any of the old games taped.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #54
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

you should subscribe to NFL rewind. it's $20 and you can re-watch any game from last year in HD on your computer. I got screwed and had to pay it twice but it's the best $40 I could have spent this offseason.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #55
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Actually it was I'm up with the 3 year old (so he is keeping me from watching the Tour de France) and nobody else in the house is up boredom. Kind of the same thing.
Old 07-13-2009   #56
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually it was I'm up with the 3 year old (so he is keeping me from watching the Tour de France) and nobody else in the house is up boredom. Kind of the same thing.
Ahh the old up at 3 AM with the kids.... remember it well. Never liked it, but still remember it. Better you than me. LOL Of course now I'm up at 3 AM to take a leak and then again at 4 AM and probably at again at 5 AM. Funny how life tends to stay the same.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read