Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-23-2009   #21
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adibi Fills Out and Speaks Out

yup.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #22
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I just want to clarify a little bit. I think I'd like for Adibi to win the job with June backing him up. I want June's experience rather than his play.

Jeff Posey had one INT in 2002.
No Texan LB had an INT in 2003.
Kailee Wong had 3 INTS and Antwan Peek had one making 4 INTs in 2004.
Troy Evans had one INT in 2005.
Morlon Greenwood and DeMeco Ryans had one INT each making 2 INTs in 2006.
Danny Clark, Greenwood and Ryans all had one INT each in 2007.
Zach Diles had one INT in 2008.

If I did this correctly... Our entire LBing corps has accmulated a total of 12 interceptions in our entire history of 7 years.

Cato June has 12 interceptions all by himself in the same 7 years. I'm really excited about June and I hope he makes the team as a backup. I think Adibi is the future of this team but June is exactly what Adibi needs to become. A ballhawking LB. I want him showing Adibi the ropes.

I really don't understand why some of you think June's overrated. He's a coaches' player. He plays for the team, not Cato June but the team.
Old 06-23-2009   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
If I did this correctly... Our entire LBing corps has accmulated a total of 12 interceptions in our entire history of 7 years.

Cato June has 12 interceptions all by himself in the same 7 years.

Me likey numbers.
Old 06-24-2009   #24
Polo

Quote:
I just want to clarify a little bit. I think I'd like for Adibi to win the job with June backing him up. I want June's experience rather than his play.

Jeff Posey had one INT in 2002.
No Texan LB had an INT in 2003.
Kailee Wong had 3 INTS and Antwan Peek had one making 4 INTs in 2004.
Troy Evans had one INT in 2005.
Morlon Greenwood and DeMeco Ryans had one INT each making 2 INTs in 2006.
Danny Clark, Greenwood and Ryans all had one INT each in 2007.
Zach Diles had one INT in 2008.

Cato June has 12 interceptions all by himself in the same 7 years. I'm really excited about June and I hope he makes the team as a backup. I think Adibi is the future of this team but June is exactly what Adibi needs to become. A ballhawking LB. I want him showing Adibi the ropes.

I really don't understand why some of you think June's overrated. He's a coaches' player. He plays for the team, not Cato June but the team.
I don't think June will make it if he does not show a lot in pre-season, his past stats be damned...

If June is not a starter he will need to play special teams. If Diles is Adibi's primary back-up (which I think he will be) then June really doen't have a niche.

I know it's not the same, but Roosevelt colvin and Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, ect, ect had better stats than some of the younger guys they were competing against at their respective positions as well...

Even if June makes the team (with all his past glory) there is no guarantee that he will be able to put it to use if A) he is not a starter and B) he isn't a primary back-up.

Me putting all these factors together means June will have to have a hell of a pre-season (much better than Diles/others) if he wants to make it...JMO...
Old 07-10-2009   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Adibi Thinking Big

Couple of interesting tidbits from the newest Adibi article - Link

Quote:
Adibi has gained about 20 pounds since last season, and teammates have said he looks like he weighs 240. Adibi also has gotten himself into the best shape of his life, thanks to an intense workout program designed by head strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright.

"It's totally different from last year," Adibi said. "Last year, it was more about maintaining, but lifting with Ray has helped me out so much. I was in very good shape going into OTAs, and I know I am going to be in very good shape going into training camp."
We knew about the weight gain, I just thought it was interesting on the Ray Wright comment. Some folks around here commented on the Wright and Bush promotions as if they meant no difference since they were already part of the team. Looks like a different philosophy.

Quote:
Adibi's quickness makes him a perfect fit for defensive coordinator Frank Bush's defense, which is predicated on the linebackers shooting the gaps and flying around to make plays.

"It is going to be more of an attacking defense," Adibi said. "Frank Bush installed it during OTAs; you can already tell what he is going to bring to the table this year. We are going to fly around and be more of an attacking defense. We are going to be playing a lot faster than we were in the past.

"That suits my game a whole lot. That's how I was in college, and that's the way our defense was in college. We are going to be an eight-man front and force the offense to do what we want them to do, which is go through the air. Then, we can just pin our ears back and blitz and do what we do best."
Similar observation plus the last part is interesting.

Last edited by infantrycak; 07-10-2009 at 10:52 AM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 109743 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"We are going to be an eight-man front and force the offense to do what we want them to do, which is go through the air. Then, we can just pin our ears back and blitz and do what we do best."
I sure hope this scheme works. In the past, when we "pinned our ears back" nobody got there except MW on occasion.

"Do what we do best"? *Ahem*.....X, I like you man, but I'll wait to see it on the field.
Old 07-10-2009   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I sure hope this scheme works. In the past, when we "pinned our ears back" nobody got there except MW on occasion.

"Do what we do best"? *Ahem*.....X, I like you man, but I'll wait to see it on the field.
I've been rewatching up to the MNF game, and the announcers were liking Adibi much.

It was a total different team with Adibi, Ryans, and Bentley together (instead of Greenwood and Diles).

Plus Wilson and Ferguson.

And Dunta also helped.
And Reeves and Bennett improving.

The new additions can only make it stronger.
I really think we can afford to play more agressive now.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2009   #28
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I think he's referring to what he did back in college more than anything else. It's what he thinks he does best which is pass coverage. Adibi had 8 INTs at VA Tech. Pin my ears back and scope the field for loose passes. That's what I'm translating from his comment.

*Note: Error in my posting of June's numbers earlier in this thread. I stated that he had 12 INTs in 7 years. My bad. 12 in 6 years. June's now entering his 7th season.

I do admit that I've heard less and less of Cato June and more of Zac Diles although I'm still gunning for a Adibi/June rotation. I sure am ready for some flashy takeaways this season, I'll tell you that.
Old 07-11-2009   #29
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think June is good to go for the season, as a backup but also a plan B as Adibi didn't prove beyond doubt he is capable of playing all 16 games. I expect Bentley and Diles to round out depth, Chaun Thompson unfortunately doesn't make the cut unless they have room for him to be a special teams guy.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #30
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

infantry,

I guess I interpreted the "8 man front" comment to Adibi still talking about what he did in college. I thought he said "we were an..." not "we're going to be an..."

god the offseason is slow.
Old 07-11-2009   #31
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
infantry,

I guess I interpreted the "8 man front" comment to Adibi still talking about what he did in college. I thought he said "we were an..." not "we're going to be an..."

What do you think he did best in college? Seems to me like he was a jack of all trades for a LB. A blitzing, intercepting machine. Not even going to put in his tackles into the equation. He had a ton for a loss but let's stick with what I know for now and that's 16.5 sacks/10 and 8 INTs for Xavier Adibi at VA Tech.

Once again, I think he really is better suited for pass coverage. Other LBs pressure the line while he backs out ready to hawk a poorly thrown pass caused by the front 8. Front 8 does sound like a bit much though. We've got 4 at the line and 3 in the middle. I'm thinking the safeties stay out back in a zone scheme and the corners blitz along with everyone else with Adibi/June scanning the skies for a brown turd floating.

I really like turnovers caused by the defense. You can be a really bad team but if you're causing turnovers your chances of being a cinderella playoff team significantly go up. Look at the Bears and Ravens when they went to the SB.
Old 07-11-2009   #32
barrett
Hall of Fame

I don't know enough about him in college to have a valid opinion. What film I saw he seemed to be very aggressive and very quick. I think this system will suit him.
Old 07-11-2009   #33
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What do you think he did best in college? Seems to me like he was a jack of all trades for a LB. A blitzing, intercepting machine. Not even going to put in his tackles into the equation. He had a ton for a loss but let's stick with what I know for now and that's 16.5 sacks/10 and 8 INTs for Xavier Adibi at VA Tech.

Once again, I think he really is better suited for pass coverage. Other LBs pressure the line while he backs out ready to hawk a poorly thrown pass caused by the front 8. Front 8 does sound like a bit much though. We've got 4 at the line and 3 in the middle. I'm thinking the safeties stay out back in a zone scheme and the corners blitz along with everyone else with Adibi/June scanning the skies for a brown turd floating.

I really like turnovers caused by the defense. You can be a really bad team but if you're causing turnovers your chances of being a cinderella playoff team significantly go up. Look at the Bears and Ravens when they went to the SB.
We do have an 8-man front even from the KC game of the previous year. When Jason Simmons was still healthy, they would bring him up to the line to set one edge, or to key on the RB or the TE, or to threaten blitz.
Sometimes even with 3 WRs on the line plus the TE.
(That means one-on-one all around for the DBs.)

We did that some with Ferguson last year.
Once in a long while, we'll bring Wilson up for a change.
We even have 9 men in the box once in a while.

My thinking is that they will continue to use Adibi as they did last year.
Blitz some, fill the gaps some, drop into coverage some.
He's good at all those things last year and also in college.
Old 07-11-2009   #34
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
I don't know enough about him in college to have a valid opinion. What film I saw he seemed to be very aggressive and very quick. I think this system will suit him.
He was a joy to watch back during his days at VA Tech. He had such knack for finding the ball and stopping its movement. He was all over the field. Such a joy to watch!
Old 07-11-2009   #35
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The 3 backup LB's are Diles,Bentley and June. IMO

I value ST alot and the best 3 ST LB's are Thompson, Diles and Bentley. In that order.

This is why I would play Quin some at SS and see if he can handle it.

If he can I would carry Ferguson,Wilson Barber and Quin since Quin can play CB-S.

This would allow an extra roster spot to carry 7 LB's (Thompson) and have a great ST core. The ST would look something like this

Bentley, Casey, Caldwell, Del.Robinson, Hill, Thompson, Dressen

Diles,Barber, Molden and Anderson

This would make one of the best ST coverage units in the NFL. IMO

It's entirely possible Kubes goes this way because he places a high value on ST. (See Harry Williams)
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #36
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
The 3 backup LB's are Diles,Bentley and June. IMO

I value ST alot and the best 3 ST LB's are Thompson, Diles and Bentley. In that order.

This is why I would play Quin some at SS and see if he can handle it.

If he can I would carry Ferguson,Wilson Barber and Quin since Quin can play CB-S.

This would allow an extra roster spot to carry 7 LB's (Thompson) and have a great ST core. The ST would look something like this

Bentley, Casey, Caldwell, Del.Robinson, Hill, Thompson, Dressen

Diles,Barber, Molden and Anderson

This would make one of the best ST coverage units in the NFL. IMO

It's entirely possible Kubes goes this way because he places a high value on ST. (See Harry Williams)
How did we normally line up on ST, I wonder?
Old 07-12-2009   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
infantry,

I don't see where this college interpretation comes from. His statement starts, "we are going to be..." We today would be the Texans and "are going to be" is a future statement not a past reference.
Old 07-12-2009   #38
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't see where this college interpretation comes from. His statement starts, "we are going to be..." We today would be the Texans and "are going to be" is a future statement not a past reference.
I see where the interpretation comes from. I heard it the same way barrett did.

Adibi "We are going to be playing alot faster than we were in the past."

Brooke: "How does this suit your game, your a pretty fast player."

Adibi: "It suits my game a whole lot, that's how I was in college. That's the way our defense was in college. You know, we were going to be an 8 man front, you know, force the offense to do what we wanted them to do, which is just go to the air, then we could just pin our ears back, blitz and just do what we do best."

He is talking about what they did in college for sure. "We were going to" is a past reference, not a future statement.

It's too bad they mis-interpreted his statement in the article and wrote it as "we are" rather than "we were" because it will confuse alot of people, especially people who can't listen to the video like Nitro. Brooke Bentley didn't do a very good job of reporting here. She even highlighted the misinterpretation.

The past tense is compounded in the next sentence when he says "force the offense to do what we wanted them to do". If he was making a future statement he wouldn't be saying wanted, he would have said want. He then says "we could do..." in the sentence after that one. Again he would have said "can", not "could", if he was talking about the future.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 07-12-2009 at 10:27 AM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #39
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I see where the interpretation comes from. I heard it the same way barrett did.

Adibi "We are going to be playing alot faster than we were in the past."

Brooke: "How does this suit your game, your a pretty fast player."

Adibi: "It suits my game a whole lot, that's how I was in college. That's the way our defense was in college. You know, we were going to be an 8 man front, you know, force the offense to do what we wanted them to do, which is just go to the air, then we could just pin our ears back, blitz and just do what we do best."

He is talking about what they did in college for sure. "We were going to" is a past reference, not a future statement.
Where are you getting this transcription from? If it is from listening to the video on the the same page then I beg to differ and he said "are" there as well. The whole exchange makes no sense as y'all are interpreting it as a response to that series of questions for which the underlying purpose was to describe what Frank Bush's new defense is going to be like.

The basic exchange is:

What is Frank Bush's defense going to be like?

It (that would be Bush's new defense) is going to be an attacking defense.

How does that (that would still be Bush's new defense) suit your game.

Great because that's how I played in college. We (that would be the Texans) are (in the future)...

Interpreting that admittedly not 100% clear are/were soundbite, although I think it sounds like are, as are also doesn't fit with the next sentence. There is no doubt in the next sentence he says can not could as you have inserted. Were makes zero sense with the can in the next sentence while are makes perfect sense with the next sentence and the topic of the conversation.

Last edited by infantrycak; 07-12-2009 at 10:44 AM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #40
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Where are you getting this transcription from?
From watching the video. The quote as Brooke Bentley wrote it is incorrect.

Go back and watch the video, it's pretty easy to hear what he said.

Here's the article, with the video.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read