Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-22-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Adibi Fills Out and Speaks Out

The article speaks of Adibi's 20# weight gain and the LB competition. But the point that stands out most to me is:

[quote]Two things that should benefit all the linebackers: A healthy Amobi Okoye at defensive tackle and the addition of veteran lineman Antonio Smith, who will start at end but could kick inside in certain situations.

"Sometimes a linebacker is only as good as his D tackles," Adibi said. "They're keeping blocks off you, they are shooting upfield, they are penetrating, they are causing havoc and that just lets the linebackers roam and make plays."[/QUOTE]

LINK
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #2
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Adibi Fills Out and Speaks Out

[quote]"With Adibi and Zach and Cato, we're as strong at that position as we've been since I've been here," coach Gary Kubiak said.

"That position group will have a heck of a battle this training camp," GM Rick Smith said. "That's one I'm looking forward to watching."[/QUOTE

It will be an interesting camp to see who comes out as the starting weakside linebacker. Regardless, I feel that we'll have enough depth for once that if anything should happen, anyone of these guys could step up and contribute.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #3
Aaron
Rookie

Rep Power: 160 Aaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respectedAaron is a quality contributor and well respected

Right now I'm giving the slight edge to Adibi. Though Diles is better against the run, Xavier's speed and coverage ability makes him more of a prototypical WILL. Awhile back Kubes said that Adibi hasn't seemed to lose any speed even after putting on the weight. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out...
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I beleive that Adibi will win out with June backing him up and Diles backing up Cushing and Bently backing up Ryans.
Wow, what a strong LB group this can be if the DT's can do their job.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I beleive that Adibi will win out with June backing him up and Diles backing up Cushing and Bently backing up Ryans.
Wow, what a strong LB group this can be if the DT's can do their job.
The best case scenario for this team is that Cato June doesn't make the team...

Hopefully, Adibi wins the job at WLB. and, Bentley, Diles, Chaun Thompson as the backups. People have forgotten about Thompson. But, he's very good on ST, is a perfect fit at SLB, can also play RDE on passing downs, and is still quite young and athletic.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The best case scenario for this team is that Cato June doesn't make the team...

Hopefully, Adibi wins the job at WLB. and, Bentley, Diles, Chaun Thompson as the backups. People have forgotten about Thompson. But, he's very good on ST, is a perfect fit at SLB, can also play RDE on passing downs, and is still quite young and athletic.
Why? I don't understand? June would be the one who has the most experience. We need veterans to help our rookies get into their groove. We don't want to be TOO young do we?

I have not forgotten about Chaun Thompson. Not at all. Adibi had injury issues last season and now he's hulked up... I'll be biting my tongue hoping he doesn't tear a muscle. Then we've got Diles coming off a bad injury. As far as I know... June's body is as solid as they come.
Old 06-23-2009   #7
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Why? I don't understand? June would be the one who has the most experience. We need veterans to help our rookies get into their groove. We don't want to be TOO young do we?

I have not forgotten about Chaun Thompson. Not at all. Adibi had injury issues last season and now he's hulked up... I'll be biting my tongue hoping he doesn't tear a muscle. Then we've got Diles coming off a bad injury. As far as I know... June's body is as solid as they come.
June is undersized, past his prime, and pretty poor against the run. My point is that it is better for this organization if Adibi can win the starting job at WLB.... he's young and very talented. Also, Diles is much more physical than June and has proven he can play at a pretty high level. So, it's good for the team if he's health and can be counted on. Bentley diversity and ST play is very valuable. I thought the guy played excellent football last season and he's still pretty young. Chaun Thompson weights 255 LBs, can cover or rush the passer and is 28 years old with experience with his hand down and at multiple LB positions. If he's healthy and can win a roster spot, he is an ideal fit as Cushing's backup at SLB.

I'm very happy that June is on this team. He provides excellent depth. But, I just think the ideal scenario for this team is for Adibi, Diles, and Thompson to step up and win roster spots in a very competitive preseason situation and for DRyans, Cushing, and Bentley to remain healthy through the preseason. If all that happens, then June won't make the team. It should be noted that Thompson and Bentley are both very good special team players that are also more versatile LBs. So, as backups, I think they provide better depth.
Sponsored links
Old 06-23-2009   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Cato June is 7 months older than Chaun Thompson and one month older than Bentlley, and he played Safety in college.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 06-23-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Cato June is 7 months older than Chaun Thompson and one month older than Bentlley, and he played Safety in college.
Playing safety in college has little to do with his versatility in the NFL. He won't be playing safety for us. June isn't old but he's past his prime as a result of playing so many games close to the LOS at his size. Bentley and Thompson have much less wear on their bodies. Bentley can play all three LB positions and is a ST leader. Thompson is the only LB on this roster that can play SLB the way Cushing will. Also, he can line up at RDE on passing downs and also is good on ST. June, essentially, is a sure tackler and a guy that makes good drops in the passing game. If Adibi struggles, then June becomes very valuable. But, it's my hope, that Adibi stays healthy and quickly grasps the nuances of WLB... if so, that's the best scenario for this defense. If not, June is a good fallback.
Old 06-23-2009   #10
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Playing safety in college has little to do with his versatility in the NFL. He won't be playing safety for us. June isn't old but he's past his prime as a result of playing so many games close to the LOS at his size. Bentley and Thompson have much less wear on their bodies. Bentley can play all three LB positions and is a ST leader. Thompson is the only LB on this roster that can play SLB the way Cushing will. Also, he can line up at RDE on passing downs and also is good on ST. June, essentially, is a sure tackler and a guy that makes good drops in the passing game. If Adibi struggles, then June becomes very valuable. But, it's my hope, that Adibi stays healthy and quickly grasps the nuances of WLB... if so, that's the best scenario for this defense. If not, June is a good fallback.
You are probably right, June playing Safety in College has little to do with his coverage skills at LB.
Old 06-23-2009   #11
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
You are probably right, June playing Safety in College has little to do with his coverage skills at LB.
What are you talking about? I am agreeing that he's good in coverage at LB. But, since he's not good at POA, he doesn't play ST, and he can't rush the passer... I'm not sure how his playing safety in college make him a versatile NFL player.
Old 06-23-2009   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
What are you talking about? I am agreeing that he's good in coverage at LB. But, since he's not good at POA, he doesn't play ST, and he can't rush the passer... I'm not sure how his playing safety in college make him a versatile NFL player.
What I am talking about? Read your post above about June's age and where Diles has proven he can play at a high level whereas you imply June has not. With the ST changes in regard to a three man wedge, and us possibly carrying four TEs, our extra ST stud may not need to come from the LB position and afford us the luxury to have an all-pro, strong against the pass, Super Bowl starting LB where he has played most of years with the team that has owned our division.

We agree that he has to earn his spot and that we hope that Adibi wins out, but I just do not agree with your narrative on why he will not make the team.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 06-23-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
June is undersized, past his prime, and pretty poor against the run. My point is that it is better for this organization if Adibi can win the starting job at WLB.... he's young and very talented. Also, Diles is much more physical than June and has proven he can play at a pretty high level. So, it's good for the team if he's health and can be counted on. Bentley diversity and ST play is very valuable. I thought the guy played excellent football last season and he's still pretty young. Chaun Thompson weights 255 LBs, can cover or rush the passer and is 28 years old with experience with his hand down and at multiple LB positions. If he's healthy and can win a roster spot, he is an ideal fit as Cushing's backup at SLB.

I'm very happy that June is on this team. He provides excellent depth. But, I just think the ideal scenario for this team is for Adibi, Diles, and Thompson to step up and win roster spots in a very competitive preseason situation and for DRyans, Cushing, and Bentley to remain healthy through the preseason. If all that happens, then June won't make the team. It should be noted that Thompson and Bentley are both very good special team players that are also more versatile LBs. So, as backups, I think they provide better depth.
It's my understanding that June, Diles, and Adibi have been slugging it out. There is no clear cut favorite. It's probably the most exciting position battle on the team right now.

Cato June gets my nod at this point because we need fresh faces on our LBing corps. I'm not ready to jump on the Diles bandwagon once again because of his injury. Chaun Thompson does NOT have the "big game" experience that June has. June at one time was regarded the best LB in the game as per his 1st team All-Pro selection in 2005. In other words, he was an absolute leader on that team. That's somebody that I'm looking for. Our LBs were terrible last season. Terrible! Blaming it on the system or coach... I really don't buy that all that much. Sure it may be true to some degree but not to where the defense ends up near the bottom of the rankings. Talent is what we need and June HAS that talent.

It's interesting that you point out his "wear and tear" from playing so close to the line of scrimmage. It's interesting and carries some merit but it is also somewhat baseless at this point because he hasn't shown a decline. June latched onto the Colts as a result of his outstanding special teams play. In fact, he has 19 special teams tackles to go along with a forced fumble. That's a pretty good stat for such a small guy. He remained a highly intensive player on the Bucs and was an important part of getting them to have the 2nd best overall defense and the best pass defensive team in 2007. 3rd in tackles on a team with a stacked defense!

You mention is poor run defense. I don't know how to counter that outside of me wanting a smallish LB for certain plays. Especially passing plays. Maybe that'll tip our opponents off when he's in but we've got to carry a nice range of sizes in our LBing corps.

Also Cato June may have the marketablility that the Texans may be looking for in order to give him an edge in such a close battle for the starting WLB slot. He's known for his extensive charitable work. I'm psyched at the prospect of June establishing another June foundation here. His latest foundation is the June Family Foundation. He's made it a point to involve his entire family into this. I love it. I love his ideals and teaching his kid to be bigger than simply being an NFL player.

He's 29 years old. I can see him slowing down a little but he's far from being old. Since the Texans are primed for the playoffs, I've got to consider June's playoff experience. I think June is a fiery player who i'd be trying to find a slot for on my team. I love his passion. I love his agressive style of play. I'd take June over Chaun Thompson but what the hell do I know. I'm just an armchair GM.
Old 06-23-2009   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

June is vastly overrated IMO.

The LBers I see on our roster are Ryans, Cushing, Adibi, Diles, Bentley, and if there is another it will be June. I think June will be more appealing than Thompson because of his experience.

I think our lineups will look like this come week 1.

SLB:
Cushing
Bentley/Diles

MLB:
Ryans
Bentley

WLB:
Adibi
Diles/Bentley

Remember Adibi had 8 interceptions in college.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
June is vastly overrated IMO.

The LBers I see on our roster are Ryans, Cushing, Adibi, Diles, Bentley, and if there is another it will be June. I think June will be more appealing than Thompson because of his experience.

I think our lineups will look like this come week 1.

SLB:
Cushing
Bentley/Diles

MLB:
Ryans
Bentley

WLB:
Adibi
Diles/Bentley

Remember Adibi had 8 interceptions in college.
He was also an explosive pass rusher. Had he played OLB more at VT he would of had great sack numbers. I predict he will be top 2 or 3 on the team in sacks once he starts and the coaches see how fast he gets off the ball and how good he is at blitzing.
Old 06-23-2009   #16
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude was a beast at VT...If he can stay healthy this year, he's gonna be another steal we got away with...like his fellow draft mate one Mr. Steve Slaton.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=TexansSeminole;1200200]June is vastly overrated IMO.

[quote]
I don't think June has been overrated.
He had a good year in 05 and was selected to the Pro-Bowl.

But nobody is saying he's all that now.
Still, he has a lot of experience and was not poor in run defense.
Nor was he spectacular by any stretch of imagination.

The Bucs played it in such a way to funnel the play to the other two LBs.
June was rarely asked to chase the running back, mostly to cover him out of the backfield (besides the TEs and an occasional WR) or to set the edge by holding up the blocker (either a DE or a TE.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dude was a beast at VT...If he can stay healthy this year, he's gonna be another steal we got away with...like his fellow draft mate one Mr. Steve Slaton.
In my book, he was already a steal when we first drafted him.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

agreed. I remember thinking the same thing. I remember the anal-ists having the same response when we got Demeco. I expect Adibi and Demeco and Cushing to be a very nice trio with Diles as depth for a long time.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009   #20
Polo

I don't think June will make the team. I think Adibi will win the Job, and I think Diles will be the primary back-up for all three positions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read