Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL network says we're primed for playoffs

Well he failed to mention the Red zone problems....the inconstancy problems. and mental break down of the offensive line. And he ignored the lack of defensive play making. And then there's that pesky division record and the nagging road record. other than that a very fine effort.

No doubt people in the NFL know have figured out who Kevin Walter is. He shouldn't be flying under anyones radar now. I was half surprised the N.Y. Giants didn't make a reasonable offer for his services during the draft.

Well he failed to mention the Red zone problems....the inconstancy problems. and mental break down of the offensive line. And he ignored the lack of defensive play making. And then there's that pesky division record and the nagging road record. other than that a very fine effort.

That's skating if I've ever heard it. I think you can still expect Walter to have a big year. There are just too many capable playmakers to try to cover. I don't think it's been an issue of coaches saying "oh gosh, who is that guy?" they know they just can't cover everybody.

I thought The writer made a good point that many defenses aren't designed to cover sideline to sideline AND deep and our pass offense is kind of set up to work that way.

Wow, did anyone see Steve Slaton truck that Titans player at 0:12? What a hell of a play!

Anyways, our success depends on the following factors IMO:

A.) Matt Schaub's health is important if he goes down then I'm not so confident that Orlovsky or Grossman can lead the way, we have the weapons on offense but the skill level at backup goes down significantly.

B.) The offensive line has to be more then just good, they have to be solid on every play and especially on 4th and goal or in the red zone.

C.) Steve Slaton and whomever are backups are going to be have to continue to pound the ball and help Matt set up passing plays, TEs also need to make plays other then OD and have to be good blockers vs. 3-4 defenses.

D.) Defense has to be solid and must come away with turnovers and stop opponets from scoring, this unit needs to step it up big time because so far its only been Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans who've lead the way, we need other guys to step it up and become team players.

E.) Our young guys like Okoye, Brown, etc need to step it up as well because they are the future of this franchise and they need to eastablish themselves and become more consistent.

If I didn't know different, I'd swear that piece was written by the Texans' PR department. I'm startin to get anxious about all of this positive pub.

It does make you wonder doesn't it? How he literally ignores some of the glaring issues we have. I am still not comfortable with all the positive media attention. I still feel weird about it. I was at the grocery store yesterday here in Austin and I saw some HT coozies and it wasn't the usual 99% Dallas and one little Texans thing. It was an outright Texans display. I still have to run and tell somebody, "look! Texans stuff!" It may be different in Houston but in Austin you would think there were only two teams on earth Dallas and UT.

If I didn't know different, I'd swear that piece was written by the Texans' PR department. I'm startin to get anxious about all of this positive pub.

Almost like its too positive and we are being set up as either as disappointments, or everyone is trying to predict the next cindarella.

I dont care about the publicity, just as long as we are not jinxed by Maddrn, SI, or Espn the mag like last year.

It does make you wonder doesn't it? How he literally ignores some of the glaring issues we have. I am still not comfortable with all the positive media attention. I still feel weird about it. I was at the grocery store yesterday here in Austin and I saw some HT coozies and it wasn't the usual 99% Dallas and one little Texans thing. It was an outright Texans display. I still have to run and tell somebody, "look! Texans stuff!" It may be different in Houston but in Austin you would think there were only two teams on earth Dallas and UT.

Oh my gosh! Exactly! I'm really loving it but I'm a little... ummm... hang back a bit. We're #2 in passes over 20 yards? We're 4th in long bombs? Man... I don't remember seeing this stuff all over the highlight reels. Seemed like most of our long bombs are last gasp passes. I don't see the fluidity in the offense moving forward as our numbers indicate.

I sure am liking the media attention but I'm trying VERY hard not to let it cloud what I saw last season. We've got a long way to go.

As for the koozies? Where at? I've seen tons of Texans tissue boxes and gardening gloves at the local HEB in Pflugerville but no koozies.

I guess its the Texans turn for 32 teams in 32 days. I believe they are counting from 32 to number 1 based on a fan poll power ranking. Denver was the team before us and I think they were 23 which means we are projected (by the fans, give em a break) to be the 22nd best team this year. Also, not everyone on the NFL Network is on the bandwagon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810beb53&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

"Woodson: Not sold on Schaub

I don't think they do. I'm not completely sold on quarterback Matt Schaub.

Schaub hasn't been healthy for the couple of years he's been the starter in Houston. Until I see him healthy and until I see him show up every week, I won't be sold on him. Can he prove to be the stable quarterback everyone wants him to be in Houston? That's the question. If he's not, then who is?

I'm also still waiting to see how the defense emerges from the offseason additions, both through free agency and the draft. Is this defense going to be dominant or is it going to be average?

I see the Texans as the fourth-best team in a tough AFC South. I think the Texans are right behind the Jaguars and Titans. I really believe the Jaguars have a shot at the playoffs. The Titans won't be as dominant but will still be good. I don't see Indy being there, either."

Ouch, Rod thinks we are finishing up fourth in the AFC South this year.

I'm alright not seeing national pundits opine that the Texans will win the division and such...but...

the Jaguars winning? Come right the **** on.

I see the Texans as the fourth-best team in a tough AFC South. I think the Texans are right behind the Jaguars and Titans. I really believe the Jaguars have a shot at the playoffs. The Titans won't be as dominant but will still be good. I don't see Indy being there, either."

This doesn't make sense to me. He thinks the Titans won't be as good, and doesn't see Indy in the playoffs either. he thinks Jags have a shot at the playoffs, and the TExans are right behind them. But we are 4th in the division? What?

TBH i see US and the titans battling it out for the crown this year indy falls IMO

I didn't know if this merited it's own thread but since this one is already talking about playoff posibilities I'm sticking in here - Mods always have the option to start a new thread...

Anyway... The Bleacher Report lists us as one of the playoff teams for 2009/2010. What's interesting to me is they left the Colts out of the playoff mix. What's more enjoyable is they left the Cowboys out too. That means they think we'll have a better record than them.

LINK

The Houston Texans will win the second wild card in the AFC.

As long as Matt Schaub stays healthy, the Houston offense will be one of the best in the conference. With a surprising defense and strong special teams unit, the Texans will shock the NFL and make their first ever playoff appearance.

Their other predicted playoff teams are:

1. New England (13-3)
2. Philadelphia (13-3)
3. San Diego (13-3)
4. New York Giants (12-4)
5. Pittsburgh (12-4)
6. New York Jets (11-5)
7. New Orleans (11-5)
8. Tennessee (11-5)
9. Minnesota (10-6 ...if Favre plays, and plays well)
10. Carolina (10-6)
11. Houston (10-6)
12. San Francisco (9-7)

Back