Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-21-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Harry Williams regroups after routine play ends career

Quote:
(AP) BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The play that redirected Harry Williams' path in life seemed so routine at the time. It was a kickoff in an NFL preseason game in Dallas last August.

Williams, a Jackson-Olin graduate and former standout receiver for Tuskegee, was on the coverage team for the Houston Texans.

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound player estimates he's been involved in "hundreds, maybe even thousands" of kickoffs since he began playing football as a 5-year-old in Birmingham.

This time it was different. This time he left the field on a stretcher. This time he left the field for the last time as a football player.

Williams replayed the details of the play Wednesday afternoon while relaxing in a San Antonio hotel room between sessions of working at a youth football camp. He has watched the play from every possible angle to see what actually happened that day. He knows that, in some ways, he's searching for answers that will never come.

"There hasn't been a day go by that I haven't thought about that play," Williams said. "What if this? What if that? It was just a freak accident. A teammate missed the tackle and hit me and I was going for the tackle too. We were full speed going down there and I hit the ground. I didn't feel any pain. I never felt any pain during the whole time. My major thing was getting my feeling back."
Quote:
"Harry had made this team," Texans head coach Gary Kubiak told the Houston Chronicle a few days after his injury. "To go on that field and see him lying there ... I just thank the good Lord that he's going to be fine. I know we're all disappointed he won't be able to play, but that's not what's most important."

Williams underwent spinal surgery a few days later. He said that doctors took bones from the front and back of his hip to help fuse the cervical spine at levels C-2 through C-4. Surgery was followed by months of strenuous rehab and he still has complications from the injury. Williams said he can't run full speed, his left side is often numb and he's still bothered by sharp pains shooting through his body.

The physical discomforts eventually proved easier to handle than the emotions of a playing career ending much too early.

"I was mad at football for a minute," Williams said. "It hurt me so bad so I tried to get away from it a little bit to see where I wanted to go in life."

His first step was enrolling at Prairie View A&M to finish requirements for an electrical engineering degree. His days in football, Williams figured, were over. But that changed when he stopped by to watch spring practice between classes at Prairie View and quickly learned how much he missed the sport.

His goal now, other than getting his degree, is finding a way into coaching. He's working with the Texans this summer, at least through training camp, and hopes that turns into a full-time position. If not, Prairie View head coach Henry Frazier III has offered Williams a spot on the staff as a graduate assistant.
http://www.al.com/sportsflash/index....=alabamasports
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #2
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Harry Williams regroups after routine play ends career

A very sad situation for Harry to go through, but I wish him the best of luck in college, and as a coach, and I hope he is very successful in that right.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he goes into engineering.
Best of luck Harry... perhaps this redirection happened for a reason
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Harry I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do in life.

Best wishes
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Harry really busted it to earn a spot on this squad and it's really unfortunate his shot at the pros had to end like it did. I hope the best for him and hope that after he found a way to earn his way onto the squad as a player he finds a way to make a coaching staff.

Best of luck to you Harry!
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #6
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a good thing to see that the Texans are giving him an opportunity to be around the team to learn the nuances of coaching. Even if he doesn't latch on here, he will have a good chance to find employment in the college or HS ranks.

A part-time job at Prairie View while working on his ENGR degree maybe in the card?

Good luck HarryW!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I t was in Dallas? I thought it was here?

Didn't someone else have some career-ending collision in a preseason game? I remember being at the game...I think...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2009   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 218361 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I t was in Dallas? I thought it was here?

Didn't someone else have some career-ending collision in a preseason game? I remember being at the game...I think...
Cedric Killings
Old 06-22-2009   #9
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

It is very unfortunate that his career ended this way. I hope the Texans give an opportunity to get his life back on track, whatever he decides to do.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Cedric Killings

Yes, thank you a DT right?

Definitely remember the sound of the hit and where I was sitting, we all knew it immediately. It was a train wreck. I just remembered it being a kickoff, got he and HW confused.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read