Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-18-2009   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ReCap of Kubiaks speech yesterday to the Touchdown Club

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak was the guest speaker at the Touchdown Club of Houston's "Texans Day" luncheon. As usual, Kubiak didn't disappoint the crowd of approximately 100 luncheon guests.
He talked about how Andre Johnson is one of the best football players he's ever been around and he described how watching Steve Slaton last year was one of the best performances he's ever seen by a rookie and a highlight of his coaching career.
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...own-Club-event
Alan Burge from the Houston Examiner is our best local NFL journalist and he hits the high points here of Kubiaks remarks to the group.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #2
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ReCap of Kubiaks speech yesterday to the Touchdown Club

Rep! Thanks!

Some pretty good info there.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #3
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

From the article:

Quote:
He talked about how Glen Coffee could have been the Texans 3rd round pick had he not been picked by the 49ers a few picks before the Texans selected Antoine Caldwell.
That would have been nice. I'm happy with Caldwell, but man, I really wanted to see Coffee in a Texans uni.
Old 06-18-2009   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's video of half the speech. I would have had more video but my camera went south.
Gary Kubiak invites you to run through a brick wall

I think this is one of those times that if you are inclined to like Kubiak, you will like him more watching this. And if you are inclined not to like him, it won't do much for you.

AJ did a really good write up for the Houston Examiner. Pretty much spot on.
Old 06-18-2009   #5
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Here's video of half the speech. I would have had more video but my camera went south.
Gary Kubiak invites you to run through a brick wall

I think this is one of those times that if you are inclined to like Kubiak, you will like him more watching this. And if you are inclined not to like him, it won't do much for you.

AJ did a really good write up for the Houston Examiner. Pretty much spot on.
this is gonna be really really really random and probably really really late for and probably in the wrong thread, but you were on I want to be a millionaire.
Old 06-18-2009   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I liked this part:
Quote:
He talked about being 12-4 at Reliant over the past two seasons and that only two other NFL teams have better home records during that period. He said Reliant is becoming a tough place to play.
That's one of the things I've been looking at, when I evaluate this team. As a team gets better, I've noticed that winning at home, is one of the first things to turn around.

I remember a few years ago, I'd travel to Houston on Sunday, and hope that we would win. Now, when I go to the games...... I expect to win, simply because we're at home.

The next thing we have to do, is win the close games, then win the games we're supposed to, and not play down to the level of our opponents (i.e. the Raiders).

Quote:
He talked about how Glen Coffee could have been the Texans 3rd round pick had he not been picked by the 49ers a few picks before the Texans selected Antoine Caldwell.
He answered a few questions with that tid-bit.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't think there are many who don't like him. As aj said in his article, I want him to succeed. Really, who doesn't? The question is, can succeed here? If he can win here, that would be great. If not, I'm willing to roll the dice on another coach. Not because I don't like him. But, because my support goes first and foremost to the Houston Texans. And no coach, player, front office member is greater than the team.
Old 06-19-2009   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
From the article:

That would have been nice. I'm happy with Caldwell, but man, I really wanted to see Coffee in a Texans uni.
Me too!!!!
Old 06-19-2009   #9
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think there are many who don't like him. As aj said in his article, I want him to succeed. Really, who doesn't? The question is, can succeed here? If he can win here, that would be great. If not, I'm willing to roll the dice on another coach. Not because I don't like him. But, because my support goes first and foremost to the Houston Texans. And no coach, player, front office member is greater than the team.
Well, if everyone indeed likes him, you'd think it wouldn't be too much to ask to dispense with the "ring clicking the podium", "typical coachspeak", and any other cheap ridicule of his personal mannerisms.

I understand the need to vent frustrations, but comments like that make me give birth.

(And that reminds me . . . what coach doesn't speak coachspeak? I haven't figured that one out yet)
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well, if everyone indeed likes him, you'd think it wouldn't be too much to ask to dispense with the "ring clicking the podium", "typical coachspeak", and any other cheap ridicule of his personal mannerisms.

I understand the need to vent frustrations, but comments like that make me give birth.

(And that reminds me . . . what coach doesn't speak coachspeak? I haven't figured that one out yet)
Ha, no doubt. I'd like to see what it would be like around here if Kubiak was as bad as Belichick at the podium every day.
Old 06-19-2009   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Ha, no doubt. I'd like to see what it would be like around here if Kubiak was as bad as Belichick at the podium every day.
I don't think they'd be able to notice after being hypnotized by the bling of his 3 rings up there.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #12
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 25465 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

I didn't know Johnny Mac became secret service. (Isn't that him in the background of the pics with the shades on?)

Quote:
He bristled a bit at the notion that this year's schedule is somewhat 'easier' than last years. He talked about having to play well every week (citing the Oakland loss last year just a week after the win over a 13-1 Titans team) otherwise you will get beat.
Amen, brutha.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't watched it. Have read the excerpts that you all have been posting.

I like what thunderkyss had to say.

ON THE ISSUE OF NOT GETTING GLEN COFFEE IN THE 3rd:
I don't feel sorry for Kubiak having Coffee picked up just a few picks before our 3rd round choice. He should have chosen him in the 2nd. So since he didn't, he needs to stop with the "Well, we would have picked him up if he had been there." He WAS there, just a round earlier than you wanted to pick him. There's a helluva' lot that happens from your pick in Round 2 to your pick in Round 3...and it's borderline poo-poo'ish to think you had a shot at Coffee in the 3rd. Isn't it? It's almost as if he's actually showing some signs of regret for not picking him up in the 2nd...but, you're hoping Barwin pans out. Because that's the one pick that I think HAS to succeed more than any other. You left a big RB on the board to grab a hybrid guy. Tick-tock....
Old 06-19-2009   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
I didn't know Johnny Mac became secret service. (Isn't that him in the background of the pics with the shades on?)
Secret Service? More like Memphis Mafia. He looks like he's trying to score a few cheeseburgers for Elvis or something.

Elvis: "Johnnie Mac! Get over there and fetch me a triple-cheeseburger or three. And a bucket of sweet potato fries. And a lady. No, that one over there. Yeah, the one with the triple-cheeseburger in her hand."

Johnnie Mac: Anything else, King?

Elvis: Yeah, report something we DIDN'T know. Thank ya', thank ya' verry much.
Old 06-19-2009   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Haven't watched it. Have read the excerpts that you all have been posting.

I like what thunderkyss had to say.

ON THE ISSUE OF NOT GETTING GLEN COFFEE IN THE 3rd:
I don't feel sorry for Kubiak having Coffee picked up just a few picks before our 3rd round choice. He should have chosen him in the 2nd. So since he didn't, he needs to stop with the "Well, we would have picked him up if he had been there." He WAS there, just a round earlier than you wanted to pick him. There's a helluva' lot that happens from your pick in Round 2 to your pick in Round 3...and it's borderline poo-poo'ish to think you had a shot at Coffee in the 3rd. Isn't it? It's almost as if he's actually showing some signs of regret for not picking him up in the 2nd...but, you're hoping Barwin pans out. Because that's the one pick that I think HAS to succeed more than any other. You left a big RB on the board to grab a hybrid guy. Tick-tock....
What are you thinking? Getting Barwin in the 2nd who was rated as a low 1 or high 2 makes a ton more sense than getting Coffee early in the 2nd. It's not "just a round" later. the value of Barwin at that pick versus the value of Coffee at that pick is astronomical. Further more, we get Caldwell as well who fills an immense need for depth at both C and G. In this system the running back has proven to be a position that can be filled with a more specific player that has skills that don't apply to as many of the other 31 teams. I would argue that having slaton, barwin and caldwell will be more valuable to this team than having slaton, coffee and .... Mario + Barwin > Slaton.+ Coffee
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
What are you thinking? Getting Barwin in the 2nd who was rated as a low 1 or high 2 makes a ton more sense than getting Coffee early in the 2nd. It's not "just a round" later. the value of Barwin at that pick versus the value of Coffee at that pick is astronomical. Further more, we get Caldwell as well who fills an immense need for depth at both C and G. In this system the running back has proven to be a position that can be filled with a more specific player that has skills that don't apply to as many of the other 31 teams. I would argue that having slaton, barwin and caldwell will be more valuable to this team than having slaton, coffee and .... Mario + Barwin > Slaton.+ Coffee
Well, I seem to recall that this is two times that Kubiak or Smith have mentioned how they had planned to grab Coffee in the 3rd. To me, that says there miiiight be some regret there.

I felt that we could have used our 2nd rounder on a RB who probably isn't going to be there in the 3rd. They gambled he would (obviously) and they lost. It's not THAT big of a deal, unless Barwin fails to be the player that our staff projected. But even then, there's now way to predict which guy will work out the best. That's part of the love I have for this game: Nailing predictions and gloating about them, and failing on predictions and being laughed at for it. Ying and yang.

I'm nowhere near being GM or HC. I just thought Glen Coffee in the 2nd seemed liked good help to Slaton, as Cushing will be good help to DeMeco. Then again, I'm the guy who wanted Mendenhall. Oops. So I got THAT going for me, which is nice.
Old 06-19-2009   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
What are you thinking? Getting Barwin in the 2nd who was rated as a low 1 or high 2 makes a ton more sense than getting Coffee early in the 2nd. It's not "just a round" later. the value of Barwin at that pick versus the value of Coffee at that pick is astronomical.
All this is BS. No one knows what that value is. This is the same conversation that's had every year. Mario was the #1 rated defensive player for most teams, but he clearly wasn't worth a #1 pick overall. His value wasn't that good. Bush was great value at #2 overall, right?

I don't buy the "value" argument at all, because every single year it gets turned on its ear.
Old 06-19-2009   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think every fan puts the Texans first.

Perhaps because I see a lot of ugliness on the blog, I do know that there are some people who don't like him. Some VY people are still bitter. So if they watched that video, they would likely nitpick it.
Old 06-19-2009   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Value is not BS. Value involves alot of factors. One of them is $. value in the sense that we're talking about I think has more to do with trying to assess risk rather than predicting that this guy is great and that guy is less great. I think risking taking Barwin in the 2nd is less risky than taking Coffee in the second. Clearly, the FO thought that too. Taking Mario at 1 was less risky than taking Bush. Barwin has all of the things the Texans want out of a DE at that position in the draft. More so than what Coffee had to offer the Texans. The Bush, VY debate is a perfect example of assessing value. Those players were less ideal of a fit for this team.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm another one who doesn't understand this "we should have taken Coffee in the 2nd round" stuff.

How come none of the other 31 teams took Coffee in the 2nd round? Maybe because they all had him graded as a 3rd, ya think?

If they had taken Coffee in the 2nd, y'all'd be pissin and moanin that they reached.

Tick-tock. .
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read