Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hill Signed

Anthony Hill is official

Quote:
Texans Sign Fourth-Round Pick

Houston Texans fourth-round tight end Anthony Hill is now under contract after agreeing to an undisclosed deal today, the team announced.

Hill is a 6′6, 269-pound former North Carolina State player who caught 79 career passes for 852 yards and five touchdowns.

Drafted 122nd overall, Hill caught 19 passes for 234 yards and four touchdowns last season. And he averaged 10.8 yards per reception for his career before being drafted by his hometown team.

Hill overcome a serious knee injury that sidelined him in 2007.

Hill is the third player of the Texans’ rookie draft class to sign. Defensive backs Brice McCain and Troy Nolan have already agreed to terms.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #2
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hill Signed

That is good news. I'll be glad when all the draft picks are signed and all hold outs signed.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #3
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't like to hear people say he's replacing Bruener because Bruener was barely even active last year. I'd love to see this guy driving back defenses for Slaton and maybe even catch a TD or two using that size.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #4
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

This means the Texans have signed their draft picks from rounds 4-b, 6 and 7. Their round 5 pick, James Casey, has not been signed. I know it is too soon to be concerned, but to the extent that they are signing their picks in reverse order of selection, Casey has been skipped.

Probably this does not mean anything. I am just sharing an observation.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I don't like to hear people say he's replacing Bruener because Bruener was barely even active last year. I'd love to see this guy driving back defenses for Slaton and maybe even catch a TD or two using that size.
He was brought in for his reputation as a bulldozer.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #6
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
This means the Texans have signed their draft picks from rounds 4-b, 6 and 7. Their round 5 pick, James Casey, has not been signed. I know it is too soon to be concerned, but to the extent that they are signing their picks in reverse order of selection, Casey has been skipped.

Probably this does not mean anything. I am just sharing an observation.
They signed Mccain before Nolan, so I doubt it means anything that they signed Hill before Casey.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #7
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

The article in the chron says he got a 4 year deal. Here's some of what it said:

Hill, a Houston native who played at North Carolina State, signed a four-year deal worth $2,206,500. He was the team's second fourth-round draft choice in April and the third draft pick to sign. Hill follows cornerback Brice McCain and safety Troy Nolan.

Hill (6-6, 269) and James Casey, a fifth-round pick, are competing for playing time behind veterans Joel Dreessen and Owen Daniels.

It doesn't say if he got some guaranteed money or a signing bonus but I'm sure he did. Most in the later rounds get a signing bonus.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-17-2009   #8
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
The article in the chron says he got a 4 year deal. Here's some of what it said:

Hill, a Houston native who played at North Carolina State, signed a four-year deal worth $2,206,500. He was the team's second fourth-round draft choice in April and the third draft pick to sign. Hill follows cornerback Brice McCain and safety Troy Nolan.

Hill (6-6, 269) and James Casey, a fifth-round pick, are competing for playing time behind veterans Joel Dreessen and Owen Daniels.

It doesn't say if he got some guaranteed money or a signing bonus but I'm sure he did. Most in the later rounds get a signing bonus.
Generally, these deals are signing bonus plus 4 years of veteran minium salaries.
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12237 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Generally, these deals are signing bonus plus 4 years of veteran minium salaries.
Yep. Looking at the deal Rich Ohrnberger got at pick #123 (Hill was picked right before at #122) it shows he gets 1.75 million over 4 years and a $451,000 signing bonus. Hill will get the standard 1.75 million over 4 years and a $456,500 signing bonus (if my math is correct) for a total of $2,206,500.

So, for the most part, the lower round picks (3rd and lower) are getting a 4 year deal at 1.75 million and a signing bonus based on where they were picked. The higher the pick, the more bonus money. Is that right AT?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #10
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Yep. Looking at the deal Rich Ohrnberger got at pick #123 (Hill was picked right before at #122) it shows he gets 1.75 million over 4 years and a $451,000 signing bonus. Hill will get the standard 1.75 million over 4 years and a $456,500 signing bonus (if my math is correct) for a total of $2,206,500.

So, for the most part, the lower round picks (3rd and lower) are getting a 4 year deal at 1.75 million and a signing bonus based on where they were picked. The higher the pick, the more bonus money. Is that right AT?
looks correct to me
ArlingtonTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #11
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think they drafted Anthony Hill to be a blocking TE but the good news is, he can catch, block and run pretty good. I don't think it hurt Owen Daniels to miss the last couple days of mini camp but if he holds out during training camp one of these many TEs on the roster might make him expendable. I'm a Anthony Hill fan anyway because he is another player from down home. I might be getting a little ahead of myself but, Hill might end up being the best all around TE we have.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
I think they drafted Anthony Hill to be a blocking TE but the good news is, he can catch, block and run pretty good.
I've seen him play a number of times and he can catch, I mean he doesn't have stone hands or anything. The thing I think he will need to work on is running crisper and faster routes.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure they'll design a play or two for him but he's here to shade & enforce the blind side making Duane Brown's job not so difficult as appeared to be last season. Hill is all about helping the offensive line unit first, dictate the tempo & execute the playbook.

I would like to see him come up big in the playoffs with a red zone score or two but just as much busting Dwight Freeney in the chops
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #14
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think they drafted Anthony Hill to be a blocking TE but the good news is, he can catch, block and run pretty good. I don't think it hurt Owen Daniels to miss the last couple days of mini camp but if he holds out during training camp one of these many TEs on the roster might make him expendable. I'm a Anthony Hill fan anyway because he is another player from down home. I might be getting a little ahead of myself but, Hill might end up being the best all around TE we have.
I'm going for Dreesen as the all around guy. Probably because I haven't seen Hill play but Dreesen does it all: catches, blocks, plays special teams, the works. None of it great but all of it well. OD is the money hands guy (I guess that works on two levels right now hehe), Casey should be that same type player. If Hill comes as advertised and can use his size to get some catches he'll be right there in the all-around category. Imagine 6'6'' 270 with room to run and your job, as the 6'1'' 210 safety, is to go tackle that freight train. Yeah right. Good luck getting that foot print off your face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He was brought in for his reputation as a bulldozer.
I know, I just want to see that bulldozer at least make contributions to the team. I mean if he's replacing Bruener as the on-the-roster-but-terminally-inactive guy then I'm pissed.
Old 06-18-2009   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Anthony Hill a lot. Him being a hometown boy at Clear Brook HS also helps!

The only concern I have with Hill are his knees.
I can't find the link, but I read that when he came back from a torn ACL in 07, in an interview during spring practice (?), he said that the injured knee feels good. It feels better than the other knee (?) I don't know what he meant by that (???)

The first game I watch him play was the Clemson game (third game of the season), when I saw him clutch his chest after a play. He then missed 4 games, I believe, but that injury sounds like it's over with.

I watched a few more games of his, UNC and Miami definitely, and a couple othes I can't remember, he looks erratic coming out of the gate.
I can't help but wonder whether because he doesn't have flexibility in his knee. Maybe CNND can give his inputs here on the medical stuff.

Sometimes he would miss the blocker on either side so easily.
Sometimes he just miss the LB on the second level so easily on a run block (looks like he just ran to an empty space.)

But once he can latch on the defender, he can throw a mean block, or he can drive the LB right out of the stadium.
When TSeminole talks about running crisper route, it also seems to me that he had the same inconsistency, which again, makes me think about his knee(s).
Sometimes he would look real fluid, sometimes he would look a bit like a tank.

Don't have to worry about his hands though, that I agree with Ubecool.

He looked better in the Senior Bowl.
He looked real good at the combine.
His running seems better, and he can catch them balls.

I think he had fully recover from the knee injury. Don't know about long term since I'm not in the medical field, and I don't know the extent of the injury.
I wonder if he has any minor problem with the other knee?

That's something we can oberve during TC.

If it was just a matter him needing time to come back (he missed the entire 07 season and 4 games last year), then he should be fine.
His production was very good in 06 (but I didn't get to see how he moved before the injury.)

It's probably just a matter of technique, and learn to play low with the pads more consistently.

If that's the case, I believe Hill will turn out to be a very good player.

I'd love to see him finish all of his block, and not stopping in the middle, because he surely can drive them and it's fun to watch that, LOL!

And I agree with BL, I watched another interview, and he seems to be the kind of guy who puts his team first.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm going for Dreesen as the all around guy. Probably because I haven't seen Hill play but Dreesen does it all: catches, blocks, plays special teams, the works. None of it great but all of it well. OD is the money hands guy (I guess that works on two levels right now hehe), Casey should be that same type player. If Hill comes as advertised and can use his size to get some catches he'll be right there in the all-around category. Imagine 6'6'' 270 with room to run and your job, as the 6'1'' 210 safety, is to go tackle that freight train. Yeah right. Good luck getting that foot print off your face.

I know, I just want to see that bulldozer at least make contributions to the team. I mean if he's replacing Bruener as the on-the-roster-but-terminally-inactive guy then I'm pissed.
I like Dreessen a lot. Looks like he had taken his game up another level. I wished they had called more plays for him.
The Texans can always carry 4 TEs, so they all have a place. And when you have too many players, some number may not be called. Like Kubiak said, they just have to work hard in practice, and when given a chance, make an impression.
Old 06-18-2009   #17
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Will the Texans carry four TE's if they carry three QBs? doubtful. Four TEs is actually too many. I guess you could make a case that Casey is not a TE, but I think Dressen is in serious danger of not making the team.
Old 06-18-2009   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Will the Texans carry four TE's if they carry three QBs? doubtful. Four TEs is actually too many. I guess you could make a case that Casey is not a TE, but I think Dressen is in serious danger of not making the team.
I really have no idea how things will shake up.
But there's always the option not to have a "designated" LS.

Also, what did we do when we have both Leach and Cook at FB?
We had 3 TEs, 2 FBs, 3 RBs, and a LS, is that right?
Old 06-18-2009   #19
TimeKiller

Quote:
Dreesen just got a contract extension. Unless he tanks camps he's probably alright. 3 QBs is the doubtful part to me.
Old 06-18-2009   #20
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Dreesen just got a contract extension. Unless he tanks camps he's probably alright. 3 QBs is the doubtful part to me.
When the Texans had Rosenfels, they had a proven backup quarterback who many people periodically recommended, based on his performance on the field, that he should be made the starter.

Now the Texans have two unproven veterans and an untried redshirt freshman practice squad guy. Can they afford to go into the season with that much uncertainty? When the Texans went into the last few seasons with only two QBs, they were taking a chance, and they were running lean at that position. Also, four TE's is more than most teams typically carry, to be sure.

I think the Texans will carry three QBs, and the number of TE's on the roster will be influenced by that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read