Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2009   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Put your eggs in one basket

It is past Easter but what one position is the key for Texans this season? Support your choice.

I am going with quarterback. If Schaub misses many games, we are in trouble. I really like Orslovsky but hope he does not have to get on field until way late in season. Rex? Well, he has better receivers but we still have nothing but Slaton to hand off to. TC will offer me unbridled hope for RB or crush me unmercifully. Schaub is the key to a deep play off run.
Old 06-17-2009   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Put your eggs in one basket

Defensive Coordinator
Old 06-17-2009   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Defensive Coordinator
I was thinking player, but you do bring up a good point.
Old 06-17-2009   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Defensive line
Old 06-17-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I was thinking player, but you do bring up a good point.
Yeah, I know, but IMO it's kind of hard to pinpoint one position for overall team improvement.
Old 06-17-2009   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Defensive line
Don't take the easy way out. Which position? If Mario goes out is the season lost? Does Barwin give us a fall back that keeps us in the game? If Okoye proves to not have had just a sophomore slump and TJ is ..well TJ do we have another poor year stopping the run? Is that enough to keep us out of the playoffs? Can Kube's survive even a 9-7 season?
Old 06-17-2009   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yeah, I know, but IMO it's kind of hard to pinpoint one position for overall team improvement.
Sure but the team or even one side of the ball can be better and the season is lost if one player is out. Where would we have been if Mario had missed the entire season? Or Myers? Many knock him, but what would the offense have been if White had to replace Myers for 16 games? See what I mean?
Old 06-17-2009   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Secondary.

Let's say for example that the rookies and Antonio Smith start a little slow and Mario is again the only guy bringing the heat for the first 5 weeks or so. Well then you start using the improved group of LBs to put on the heat by brining a guy here and there. Overall you are leaving the secondary out there and hoping the can cover when the others aren't getting there. No matter what strides were made in the past the secondary always was suspect. If it takes some gelling up front you need the secondary to hold the fort and support their weight to stop games from being a shootout. I guess you can say my explanation should mean my answer is D-line but they go hand in hand in my book.
Old 06-17-2009   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody can replace Mario on Defense.
Nobody can replace A.J. on Offense.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Actually, Andre Davis did replace AJ and did a fine job.
Old 06-17-2009   #11
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not by a LONG LONG shot, my friend!
Old 06-17-2009   #12
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 63828 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Defensive Tackle. If they preform, we should end up with a top 10 D, and a playoff berth. If not, 8-8 again.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't take the easy way out. Which position? If Mario goes out is the season lost? Does Barwin give us a fall back that keeps us in the game? If Okoye proves to not have had just a sophomore slump and TJ is ..well TJ do we have another poor year stopping the run? Is that enough to keep us out of the playoffs? Can Kube's survive even a 9-7 season?
Well, it's not the easy way out. I think the defensive line - as a whole - needs to step up it's game and put some consistent pressure on our opponents' passing game. Our secondary is not good enough to hold coverage if the QB never feels pressured, which has seemed to be one of the defense's problems the last couple of years.

I feel confident about Mario (obviously), so if I had to go position, I'd say defensive tackle. Will they be able to put any pressure up the middle and stop the run? This will be the key to our defense improving, IMO.
Old 06-17-2009   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Free Safety

If we lose Wilson, our secondary will be in a world of hurt. Probably the one position that we do not have depth at.
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Sure but the team or even one side of the ball can be better and the season is lost if one player is out. Where would we have been if Mario had missed the entire season? Or Myers? Many knock him, but what would the offense have been if White had to replace Myers for 16 games? See what I mean?
Well, the offense kept afloat after AJ went down a couple years ago. Mario's been a part of a poorly run defense and has been a beast, but has he alone made our defense better overall? Nah, our D has been consistantly bad since 03.

*Disclaimer* This statement is meant for discussion only. By no means does HOU-TEX want to see us lose MW or AJ.

Quote:
I don't think anybody's irreplacable. The NFL's like the circle of life, lol. Sure, they are badass players, but they can and will eventually be replaced.
Old 06-17-2009   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200872 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

After reading the posts on this thread, I'm expecting a couple of eggs to be broken when the basket is dropped. Makes me remember the old saying that one cannot make an omelet without breaking eggs... but it is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet. Reminds me of the past. Hopefully, this year we are amazed how few "busts" will occur and still lead to a decent team.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm trying to find a comparison.
Perhaps like... A.J. is not quite Kobe, and A.D. is not quite Artest.

But if I have to pick one position and one position only, I will have to go with Mario.
At this point in time, I don't think we can afford him not being in the line-up.
Old 06-17-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Not by a LONG LONG shot, my friend!
Yes for the games he replaced AJ , Davis did very well leading him to signing a new contract for a very nice dollar value. I understand that he is faster than AJ. I realize it was not for an entire season but he did very well. I am not saying Davis is the better guy. Far from it, yet if AJ is lost for the season, our corps of receivers are solid. I think Mario is much more important to the team this season than AJ.
Old 06-17-2009   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Well, it's not the easy way out. I think the defensive line - as a whole - needs to step up it's game and put some consistent pressure on our opponents' passing game. Our secondary is not good enough to hold coverage if the QB never feels pressured, which has seemed to be one of the defense's problems the last couple of years.

I feel confident about Mario (obviously), so if I had to go position, I'd say defensive tackle. Will they be able to put any pressure up the middle and stop the run? This will be the key to our defense improving, IMO.
Thanks and very well said. Do you agree with me that if Mario is lost for the season, the playoffs are out of reach?
Old 06-17-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Free Safety

If we lose Wilson, our secondary will be in a world of hurt. Probably the one position that we do not have depth at.
Do you think Kubes would move Glover Quinn to FS if Wilson is out? I like Quinn in that position.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read