Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-16-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Prediction: Connor Barwin is going to be GREAT!

I want to wear guys down. I try to be a high-energy guy. The technique stuff is stuff I need to work at, but I just keep going. It’s like a battle and a competition between me and him every single play. So I just try to battle him every single play and have more energy than him.” ... Connor Barwin, courtesy of HoustonTexans.com.

Kubiak also continues to attempt to subdue his own positive impressions of the guy:

“Like I said yesterday, he’s faster than everybody right now. I try to keep that in perspective because he should be. All these other guys have many days under their legs. He’s very strong for his frame, being a 265-pound guy. I love his work habits. He fits right in with our team.”

His combination of athleticism, strength, intelligence, and work ethic isn't something teams see very often from rookies. This guy is going to be a stud... and, I don't think we're going to have to wait long for it to happen either. One just doesn't often hear a rookie that hasn't even been preached at by his NFL organization ranting on about being "high-energy" every, single play.... not unless it's a guy drafted in the 7th round that is just trying to make a name on special teams.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #2
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Prediction: Connor Barwin is going to be GREAT!

Exciting stuff. But I am going to try and temper my expectations a bit just like Kubiak. Its way early. Lets see it in real play on passing downs. But man, a lightning fast terror on one side... and powerful Mario on the other side...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I want to wear guys down. I try to be a high-energy guy. The technique stuff is stuff I need to work at, but I just keep going. It’s like a battle and a competition between me and him every single play. So I just try to battle him every single play and have more energy than him.” ... Connor Barwin, courtesy of HoustonTexans.com.

Kubiak also continues to attempt to subdue his own positive impressions of the guy:

“Like I said yesterday, he’s faster than everybody right now. I try to keep that in perspective because he should be. All these other guys have many days under their legs. He’s very strong for his frame, being a 265-pound guy. I love his work habits. He fits right in with our team.”

His combination of athleticism, strength, intelligence, and work ethic isn't something teams see very often from rookies. This guy is going to be a stud... and, I don't think we're going to have to wait long for it to happen either. One just doesn't often hear a rookie that hasn't even been preached at by his NFL organization ranting on about being "high-energy" every, single play.... not unless it's a guy drafted in the 7th round that is just trying to make a name on special teams.
Texans Chic has a video of him boxing on her Chron Blog . Anyone who's ever tried boxing knows it's a heck of a workout and he's making it look easy .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

mmm.....I'm going to wait until they put the pads on, before I form a opinion on him one way or the other. I do like his attitude though.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #5
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin is stronger than he looks from what I saw on tapes.
He still has a lot to learn about the game and the techniques.
I'd rather they go slow on him, and that the fans don't expect too much.
Same with Cushing, there are things the Texans do here that he didn't see a whole lot at USC.

At any rate, I believe our D will make a big step forward this year with all the additions, including Antonio Smith and Shaun Cody (some will be surprised that Shaun is pretty decent at getting penetration on the line.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Baring some unfortunate luck, our defense should be at least 5 to 7 spots higher in the ranking list this year. If our offense, at a very minimum, stays the same, the improvement in the defense could get us those three extra wins that will nudge us into the playoffs.

Or am I just being a homer? LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #7
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Baring some unfortunate luck, our defense should be at least 5 to 7 spots higher in the ranking list this year. If our offense, at a very minimum, stays the same, the improvement in the defense could get us those three extra wins that will nudge us into the playoffs.

No, I think you are on track. If the conditions you mentioned are achieved, then 2-4 additional wins is a reasonable expectation. With a higher probability of 2 than 4.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2009   #8
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm greedy, I want a top five offense and a top ten defense at least!
Old 06-16-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, on defense, we should jump more than 5 spots in a lot of categories:

sacks
turnovers
3rd down percentage
QB pressures
the Texan Chick efficiency rating thing that she talks about on her blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #10
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Barwin got by in college with a pass rush repertoire of 'run fast and push people out of your way.' It's going to take him years before he develops a full compliment of moves that will make him an effective football player. Right now he's like a pitcher who throws 98 mph fast balls, but doesn't have any breaking pitches. Sure sometimes that's enough to get an out(sack), but he's not going to be a starter, or important reliever until he has a slider, curve ball, or something else for the O-lineman to think about.

He's got the potential to be an Osi, or Little, but don't expect it to be immediate.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #11
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Barwin got by in college with a pass rush repertoire of 'run fast and push people out of your way.' It's going to take him years before he develops a full compliment of moves that will make him an effective football player. Right now he's like a pitcher who throws 98 mph fast balls, but doesn't have any breaking pitches. Sure sometimes that's enough to get an out(sack), but he's not going to be a starter, or important reliever until he has a slider, curve ball, or something else for the O-lineman to think about.

He's got the potential to be an Osi, or Little, but don't expect it to be immediate.
I think the key to your baseball analogy here is that a guy with a 98 mph fastball can get outs even when they make mistakes just because of their overpowering stuff---just like I think Barwin will pressure the QB and get sacks because of his sheer athleticism even if his technique isn't perfect.

The level of talent he brings over anyone not named Mario on that line will be a good enough boost to make this line look dominant on 3rd down. If he can hone his technique and perfect his craft then we'll start seeing him on 1st and 2nd down, not to mention in Pro Bowls.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Um ... we're trying to get excited .

Round Dan
Old 06-16-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed to the bold but I would throw the book at this guy and see what he throws back. I say step on the gas pedal. DROY!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Agreed to the bold but I would throw the book at this guy and see what he throws back. I say step on the gas pedal. DROY!!
If they put him on the oppisite side of Mario on passing downs and tell him to get the QB ... I say 7 sacks . See Mark Anderson's rookie year with the Bears .

http://www.nfl.com/players/markander...e?id=AND355961

Round Dan
Old 06-16-2009   #15
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with Dalemurphy on Barwin. I believe he is going to be great! He will surprise a lot of people this year. Dwight Freeney got 13 sacks his rookie season and only started 8 games but played in all 16. I think Barwin can do the same. Being opposite of Mario can only help.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Well the way DROY awards have been going, my bet is on LB (Aaron Curry), 8 of the last 10 DROY winners have all been LBers.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #17
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His combination of athleticism, strength, intelligence, and work ethic isn't something teams see very often from rookies.
Honestly, he's got the magical combination. Those are keys to being successful undoubtedly. The only thing he lacks that I'm aware of is experience. Maybe instinct? How can we know at this early stage? I think the things you've highlighted here are absolutely IDEAL for success at this level. More over, I think experience is the LEAST important at this level IF you have a few key extra ingredients like COACHING and perhaps instinct. Does he have that? I don't know yet. Kollar seems to have a long resume. Is it an impressive one? I don't know exactly. From what I've read he has made a name for himself for getting alot out of less than ideal guys with high motors. Maybe he can do even more with a high motor guy who possesses that motor AND
Quote:
His combination of athleticism, strength, intelligence, and work ethic.
I would guess that his instincts are very good if he was able to be successful at a new position so quickly.

I think he has the potential to be terrific. I sure would like to hold off getting crazy excited for 43 more days but I don't think I can.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #18
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been saying this since the draft, Barwin is the player I am most excited about. 7 sacks would be on the low end of estimates, I really think double digits are a possibility.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #19
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I have been saying this since the draft, Barwin is the player I am most excited about. 7 sacks would be on the low end of estimates, I really think double digits are a possibility.
I think double digits just playing 3rd downs and obvious passing situations is likely.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 135847 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Practice, Combine, College Stats/Plays means nothing to me.

I hope he turns out to be a key part. Only real game snaps will sway me one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read