Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-29-2005   #21
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrofan
Pollack would also fit in at DE for us
Pollack is 6-3 and about 275, he would have to add about 20 lbs to be a Lineman in the 3-4 Defense. The avg. size for a DE in the 3-4 is right about 300 lbs. No less than 290
Old 01-29-2005   #22
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

If Pac Man runs a 4.3 he'll be gone. If my favorite DL was there I'd take him. If not and I did not have a stud LB on the board I'd take PacMan or trade down depending on what I thought of him. If you can't raise the bridge lower the water. Meaning if you can't get a good rush cover a little longer.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

tough decisions but good ones at least this year for the Texans to ponder my point of this thread was to wittle down to the most realistic players available with the 13th pick. the 13th pick most likely favors a defensive player, hence Jones, Spears, Davis & Cody. hard to figure the Texans can lose picking any of the three or four mentioned. i have it upon strong opinion however the Cowboys (who fired their defensive ends coach & former great Jim Jeffcoat as a sign) seem intent on changing to the ever popular 3-4 defense in which case Spears will be a Cowboy I see Rolle being chosen as the big physical corner that the Lions need thus facilatating the pick.

so you bascily have a choice between-

Adam "Pac Man" Jones who soldifies both cb positions along with Dunta for the next 10 years, or

The next best safety since Sean Taylor which last year everybody wanted, or

the bookend to Babin soldifying the OLB's position for the next 10 years in Cody.

Gentleman, Texans, this very well is what it will come down to this coming April. All I can suggest is that we stay with the 13th pick and let's see what falls our way. Overall the consensus is for Adam "Pac Man" Jones-

hard to argue that
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005   #24
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Pollack is 6-3 and about 275, he would have to add about 20 lbs to be a Lineman in the 3-4 Defense. The avg. size for a DE in the 3-4 is right about 300 lbs. No less than 290
Cody has a big frame which he has still not yet filled out, hence he is a natural 4-3 DE or a "New Era" OLB in the 3-4. the team who drafts him can mold him into their expectations because he is verstile, unique & is a fierce warrior. he is however a project at OLB & would take time like Babin to learn the system, but when that happens I would wager the Texans sack totals rise expotentially, not strictly because of him but because the skilled tools are available to make the 3-4 work.
Old 01-29-2005   #25
texansfan88
All Pro

I'm not that high on Jones, although he is taken by the Texans in my next mock

Can anyone name a really true great #1 receiver that he faced this year? Guys from Temple and UCONN and Syracuse don't count.

He faced one good one, Cro Thorpe, who he got killed by, and he's not even considered a day 1 prospect
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #26
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
So everyone so far likes this kid enough to pass on O or D line help? Ok, here's a question just because I haven't really read up on him (PacMan) like some of you have. If Jones & DRob hadda came out the same year & ya could only have one knowing what you now know about DRobs NFL progression, who do you take?
this is such a bad question, why would any one take a player that might be good in the nfl if they knew that they were getting a person that should have been in the pro bowl and could have won the rookie of the year. also say that jones isn't a first day player is just ignorant. i know that this draft authorities can't always be trusted but many have him as one of the top 3 corners in the draft, so i don't know how you say that about him. i will agree that he is a little overrated because of his forty time.
Old 01-30-2005   #27
fresno8
Veteran

Pac-Man, draft a MLB or sign one and let Peek rotate in w/ Babin and Wong, sense everyone doesn't think Peek can handle everydown play. Our pass rush will suffer until we get a better D-line to occupy o-lineman and generate some pass rush. Pac-Man and Robinson will form a super duo for yrs and both can learn from Glenn and Glenn can still play a yr or two.
Old 01-30-2005   #28
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 14 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJim
I see you have a knack for speaking for others including me. I never said anyone thinks the O & Dline shouldn't be helped. I questioned if the 13th pick should be used on DB help as opposed to O & DLine help.Last time I checked there were 6 more rounds worth of picks we could use on either/or. The argument is which to address first ... and as for that "everyone" reference, at the time only D-Rek had answered the question at the time. As knowledgable as he may be, I hardly believe he counts for much more than just HIS opinion. This was MY question within this thread ... comparing DRob to Jones. The aggrivating thing about all this is that you have done this to one of my posts before on the Jags board. My questions & opinions are just as valid as anyones on this MB. Heres a thought ... just ignore my posts if you can't find anything to say thats not condescending.
Lighten up, Francis.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #29
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
Lighten up, Francis.
"Any of you guys touch me or my stuff ... I'll kill ya."
Old 01-30-2005   #30
CoachJim
Veteran

Quote:
I dont wan't to turn this thread into an argument between me and you, but I would love to know what post i had done this to you on the Jags board. I've posted one thing on that board and that was about 1 hour ago.

And as for the everyone comment. If it'll make you happy I'll change it to about 99% of us would take D-Rob, taking in the consideration that during the season plenty have said they wouldn't want anyone else in the leauge and if they wouldn't want one of the present greats in the NFL, then why would they take someone who they haven't even seen perform at a professional level.
I checked the Jag board member list last night & I now remember it being someone else so for THAT I apologize...
Old 01-30-2005   #31
CoachJim
Veteran

Default DL/OLB help

Back to the original question, I'd just love to see us getting a player or two via the draft and/or FA that'll improve our pass rush just so our DBs ain't gotta work so hard. It's true that soon we will have to address AGs replacement but our bigger need is for not letting opposing QBs the time to sit back in the pocket looking for their recievers like a woman shops for an Easter dress.Taking the BPA is cool if you have that need but I'm all for fixing the problem NOW.
Old 01-30-2005   #32
texansfan88
All Pro

Yet, no one has answered the simple question of who has Pac Man really faced?

I WIN AGAIN
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

East Carolina, UCF, Maryland, James Madison, Virginia Tech, Connecticut , Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple W, Boston College, Pittsburgh & Florida State.
Looks decent to me.

the only game I saw Adam play in was the Gator Bowl & from what I saw was very impressed with coverage (reminded one of Dunta) as well return duties (although he did drop the ball on the carpet once). Still faced some good competition, nothing like Big 12 but still good
Old 01-30-2005   #34
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I can't really blame him for not facing top quality talent. Miami and Virginia Tech bolted from the Big East to join the ACC. He was on a West Virginia team that was supposed to walk away with the Big East title, but they vastly underachieved. I watched Pac Man in the Maryland game, and he played very well. It always looked like he was around the ball.

Just for comparision here's DRob's schedule from his last season. Remember he played for an SEC team. LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE, VIRGINIA, Georgia, UAB, Tennessee, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA STATE, VANDERBILT, Mississippi, Arkansas, FLORIDA, CLEMSON.

Georgia has Reggie Brown and Fred Gibson who are notorious for being a little soft. LSU had Clayton, and not much else. Tennessee didn't really have a top level WR. Florida had a great freshman QB, and some good WRs. All those teams are in the SEC, and South Carolina was blownout in most of those games with the exception of the Tennessee game that they lost in OT. Can't really let one year's schedule speak for a CB. It was just last season when Pac Man Jones faced off with Larry Fitzgerald of Pittsburgh, and he also faced higher level competition against Miami and Virginia Tech. If who you played was such an important factor then you'd never see guys from small schools make it into the NFL like Steve McNair or Jerry Rice etc.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
I can't really blame him for not facing top quality talent. Miami and Virginia Tech bolted from the Big East to join the ACC. He was on a West Virginia team that was supposed to walk away with the Big East title, but they vastly underachieved. I watched Pac Man in the Maryland game, and he played very well. It always looked like he was around the ball.

Just for comparision here's DRob's schedule from his last season. Remember he played for an SEC team. LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE, VIRGINIA, Georgia, UAB, Tennessee, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA STATE, VANDERBILT, Mississippi, Arkansas, FLORIDA, CLEMSON.

Georgia has Reggie Brown and Fred Gibson who are notorious for being a little soft. LSU had Clayton, and not much else. Tennessee didn't really have a top level WR. Florida had a great freshman QB, and some good WRs. All those teams are in the SEC, and South Carolina was blownout in most of those games with the exception of the Tennessee game that they lost in OT. Can't really let one year's schedule speak for a CB. It was just last season when Pac Man Jones faced off with Larry Fitzgerald of Pittsburgh, and he also faced higher level competition against Miami and Virginia Tech. If who you played was such an important factor then you'd never see guys from small schools make it into the NFL like Steve McNair or Jerry Rice etc.
add Ben Roethlisberger
Old 01-30-2005   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88

I WIN AGAIN
Enjoy your trophy. Nobody can watch cornerback play on tv and grade them out (hard to grade what you cannot see), so it would be hard for me to form opinions on guys based on second hand internet scouting. TV does not capture the secondary other than the occasional replay.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #37
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88

I WIN AGAIN
i agree that he hasn't faced anyone good and shut them down. larry killed him last year. the fascinating thing about him is that he is fast and scouts really like that. also he can also have a big part in the return game. if you think about it, their aren't any good wr in the big east now that miami and va tech left. he had very good games against them last year.
Old 01-30-2005   #38
astrofan
Veteran

Quote:
Jarvis Green 6'3" 272
Brett Keisel 6'5" 279
Aaron Smith 6'5" 275

I think that Pollack's history of being a great interior lineman (DT/FB) who moved outside to play end would lend itself toward him playing on the line like Aaron Smith, where guys like Matt Roth (LB/FB) and Dan Cody (FS/LB/TE), who were shuffled into the mix at DE in college because that is where the playmakers are, would be more natural OLBs

OT: as I am typing this, Willie McGinest is being interviewed on NFL channel
I feel like I'm on the Truman Show (or the Astrofan Show, I guess)
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005   #39
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I was browsing this thread (old thread alert) and I came to wonder what everyone's opinion is now...Scout.Com is reporting that

Quote:
"League sources have told us that the word out of last month's combine is red flags have come up on the urine sample for West Virginia cornerback Adam "Pac Man" Jones. We will update the story as more information is available."
If these allegations hold true, where do you see Pac-Man landing? What's everyone's opinion of Davis now? Why have we not heard the name of Dan Cody in weeks around here?
Old 03-31-2005   #40
royce1054
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to royce1054 Send a message via Yahoo to royce1054

my texans list
1. Johnson will either go #3 or #6
2. Merriman could 3-10
3. Pac-man #6 #8 or #9
4. Rolle #3, #9, #9
5. Edwards #4, #5, #6, #7
6. M. Williams #6, #7
7. Williamson #9, #12
8. Barron #10

This is each player i think is Texans wish list and where they might go.
royce1054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read