Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-15-2009   #1
Phil03
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Phil03 was voted MVPPhil03 was voted MVPPhil03 was voted MVPPhil03 was voted MVP
Default Offensive Line Analysis

Hey guys,
I wrote an analysis of the Texans offensive line as I did last year for my website: http://www.ultimateffstrategy.com/20...ton_texans.htm

Feel free to post any comments, suggestions or corrections I should make to my article.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Offensive Line Analysis

Enjoyed the read. It would have been nice if you had mentioned that we gave only a 6th for Myers. I still like getting a starter for a low pick. I think we may be in a can't miss scenario with O line. If Caldwell can not beat out Myers we should be good to go at center. If Caldwell is the starter, Myers projects to guard where he should beat out Briesel. All in all, line should be pretty good. Just looking for a power back.
Old 06-15-2009   #3
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8734 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

nice article
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoyed reading it, and now I am all excited about football......damn offseason!
Old 06-15-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I enjoyed reading it, and now I am all excited about football......damn offseason!
Pfft! Just wait, it's going to get worse, HT. From this Wednesday's final practice to training camp is the worst part about the off-season. There will not be any OTA's to chomp on, most (if not all) of the players will leave the facilities and there will not be any news or videos on HT.com to get a temporary fix. It will suck!
Old 06-15-2009   #6
Phil03
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Phil03 was voted MVPPhil03 was voted MVPPhil03 was voted MVPPhil03 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Enjoyed the read. It would have been nice if you had mentioned that we gave only a 6th for Myers. I still like getting a starter for a low pick. I think we may be in a can't miss scenario with O line. If Caldwell can not beat out Myers we should be good to go at center. If Caldwell is the starter, Myers projects to guard where he should beat out Briesel. All in all, line should be pretty good. Just looking for a power back.
Thanks guys, I just threw that in there for you. I didn't know it was only a 6th round pick but definitely a nice trade.
Phil03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #7
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. Myers isn't the best center in the league, but our offense can move the ball with the existing peices on the line. Arguably, Myers (as well as the unit as a whole) will be improved with another year in the system, working together as a unit. After all, last year was the first year that a "pure" ZBS was implemented.

In the even that Caldwell can beat Myers out, I do think he pushes Briesel. Either way, we should have a competent back-up at both the guard and center positions.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2009   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Agreed. Myers isn't the best center in the league, but our offense can move the ball with the existing peices on the line. Arguably, Myers (as well as the unit as a whole) will be improved with another year in the system, working together as a unit. After all, last year was the first year that a "pure" ZBS was implemented.

In the even that Caldwell can beat Myers out, I do think he pushes Briesel. Either way, we should have a competent back-up at both the guard and center positions.
Unless Myers breaks a leg or something, It's going to be pretty hard for Caldwell to over take him. Myers is everything they want in a center between the twenties. This group made a huge leap with their down the field blocking last year. If they can improve on their mental mistakes and start to show some signs of maturing as a unit and take over games, the sky is the limit for this group. Brown not facing several of the leagues premiere pass rushers starting out the season has got to help.
Old 06-16-2009   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The O-line should be even more productive this season.

- D. Brown has a year under his belt and knew to come into camp in NFL shape.
- Winston is a proud dude and if you listened to some of his interviews and radio chats, you know he ain't happy about those sacks and mental mistakes he, himself, said he made.
- I'm not a big Myers fan, but I'll take 3TP's take on it because he studies the O-line harder than most. If he says Myers is "it" at center, I'll pencil him in ....for now. But down deep, I'm hoping that both Myers and Briesel can feel Caldwell's hot breath on their necks as he works to be a starter. I'm thinkin' a two-year team captain and 3-yr starter at Alabama won't be content to be an NFL backup. He'll push somebody for their job. Hard.

I'm okay with the starters. It's the backups that are question marks, IMO. Studdard has the right attitude for a guard but he's been gimpy off and on since he's been here. He saw no action last year. And I don't even recall that Butler was active last season either. Both are pretty much still unproven. I understand that their inactivity in 2008 was because we were very lucky and the same unit started every game, but for them not to get ANY action - say in mop up when we killed Cincy - makes me wonder how ready they'll be if we really need them.

here's hoping for less than 25 sacks and 2000+ yds from our running attack!
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Unless Myers breaks a leg or something, It's going to be pretty hard for Caldwell to over take him. Myers is everything they want in a center between the twenties. This group made a huge leap with their down the field blocking last year. If they can improve on their mental mistakes and start to show some signs of maturing as a unit and take over games, the sky is the limit for this group. Brown not facing several of the leagues premiere pass rushers starting out the season has got to help.
IMO, Myers is the weakest link of our redzone offense. I watched a little of the MNF game against J-ville last night. It was after Slaton took a screen pass 46 yards down to their 1-2 yard line. I keyed on a couple players with Myers being one of them. He was blown up all 3 running plays to the right side. On third down he was jacked up so bad Slaton ran into him 2 yards behind the LOS ending with his guy making the tackle for -1. We ended up kicking a FG. 3 freakin plays that totalled -1 yard!

If he has not gotten stronger at the point of attack, I expect him to be no different than last year. I hope he has improved for the team's sake. If not, we need somebody that can improve the performance of that position. Caldwell, White or Joe Blow, I don't care. As long as we get better at the position.

Old 06-16-2009   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Summary seems resonable to me -
Quote:
2009 Outlook:
The Houston Texans impressed many people last year by having the third-ranked offense in the NFL and this offensive line certainly played a big role in that. All five linemen managed to stay healthy and they improved as a group throughout the season as they allowed only 12 sacks in the final eight games of the season. With one more off-season to work with Alex Gibbs, this line should improve as a unit in 2009 and be above average in both run blocking and pass protection but they will need to stay healthy as they did in 2008 since they don’t have any proven backups.
I do question if Pitts will improve much I think he could be in decline & a little less athletic, set in his ways for Gibbs to ply much more out of him. Everybody talks about Meyers but his work ethic along with Brisel where something missing from previous Texans OL units. Winston & Brown where both somewhat dissapointing, expect them both to improve & seal the edge better so Caldwell provides the biggest opportunity for improvement if not sooner than later as Pitts heads towards his next contract.

My 2010 prediction is that the Texans OL will look like this-
  • LT Duane Brown
  • LG Antoine Caldwell
  • C Chris Meyers
  • RG Mike Brisiel
  • RT Eric Winston
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

I do question if Pitts will improve much I think he could be in decline & a little less athletic, set in his ways for Gibbs to ply much more out of him. Everybody talks about Meyers but his work ethic along with Brisel where something missing from previous Texans OL units. Winston & Brown where both somewhat dissapointing, expect them both to improve & seal the edge better so Caldwell provides the biggest opportunity for improvement if not sooner than later as Pitts heads towards his next contract.

• LT Duane Brown
  • LG Antoine Caldwell
  • C Chris Meyers
  • RG Mike Brisiel
  • RT Eric Winston
That's a new twist. I hadn't looked at it like that before. Good post.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

• LT Duane Brown
  • LG Antoine Caldwell
  • C Chris Meyers
  • RG Mike Brisiel
  • RT Eric Winston
You don't think Big Bob is going to keep one of the last original Texans (one of the last because he's one of the best) around for as long as possible? Pitts is a decent lineman and certainly won't be the first guy replaced out of the starting 5 from last year.

Where is all this Meyers love coming from lately? Meyers' work ethic? COME ON the guy was clearly the weakest link of the whole offense last year, not just the line. If he wasn't busting his hump there would be little reason to even give him a roster spot. Caldwell provides good swing depth at this point but quit kidding yourself, he's a C. Played C in college very succesfully, drafted as one too. I'd say he's blowing ONE hole open from taking Meyers spot because ONE hole a year would be an upgrade to Meyers.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
  • LT Duane Brown
  • LG Antoine Caldwell
  • C Chris Meyers
  • RG Mike Brisiel
  • RT Eric Winston
It is plausible. Should Brown not progress, and we re-sign Pitts (which we should) I would have no problem with:
LT Chester Pitts
LG Antoine Caldwell
C Chris Meyers
RG Eric Winston
RT Duane Brown
Old 06-16-2009   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Do you see Caldwell coming in within the red zone to push the defense back? I may be way too optimistic but I see us chewing up more yards within the 20s this season. I think Slaton will not be our only bright spot in a speed back role. Now if Foster can be the power guy? Oh yeah!
Old 06-16-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The O-line should be even more productive this season.

- D. Brown has a year under his belt and knew to come into camp in NFL shape.
- Winston is a proud dude and if you listened to some of his interviews and radio chats, you know he ain't happy about those sacks and mental mistakes he, himself, said he made.
- I'm not a big Myers fan, but I'll take 3TP's take on it because he studies the O-line harder than most. If he says Myers is "it" at center, I'll pencil him in ....for now. But down deep, I'm hoping that both Myers and Briesel can feel Caldwell's hot breath on their necks as he works to be a starter. I'm thinkin' a two-year team captain and 3-yr starter at Alabama won't be content to be an NFL backup. He'll push somebody for their job. Hard.

I'm okay with the starters. It's the backups that are question marks, IMO. Studdard has the right attitude for a guard but he's been gimpy off and on since he's been here. He saw no action last year. And I don't even recall that Butler was active last season either. Both are pretty much still unproven. I understand that their inactivity in 2008 was because we were very lucky and the same unit started every game, but for them not to get ANY action - say in mop up when we killed Cincy - makes me wonder how ready they'll be if we really need them.

here's hoping for less than 25 sacks and 2000+ yds from our running attack!
Studdard and Butler may not be on team next year. Remember Caldwell can play all 5 positions & if we have another healthy year for Oline, he may be all we need. The next draft will probably address back ups at several positions or offer a starter type like Cushing who will move a starter to a strong back up role. I am excited every year but I have more confidence we are moving into a very solid role as a strong team.
Old 06-16-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
It is plausible. Should Brown not progress, and we re-sign Pitts (which we should) I would have no problem with:
LT Chester Pitts
LG Antoine Caldwell
C Chris Meyers
RG Eric Winston
RT Duane Brown
After all we have been thru since Pitts was moved to guard, why would team move Pitts back to LT? Not arguing as I think he is a solid LT but just saying.
Old 06-16-2009   #18
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After all we have been thru since Pitts was moved to guard, why would team move Pitts back to LT? Not arguing as I think he is a solid LT but just saying.
Exactly, we are just saying. I would love for our current unit to remain healthy and continue to progress, but I love to play the what if game as well.
Old 06-16-2009   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

• LT Duane Brown
  • LG Antoine Caldwell
  • C Chris Meyers
  • RG Mike Brisiel
  • RT Eric Winston
Usually agree with your OL take but I gotta disagree with you on this one. I think we'll resign Pitts and it's possible he has a pro bowl type of year this season. I'm ok with Brisiel but, I think Myers becomes a weak link inside the 20's. He becomes weak at the point of attack and doesn't get enough push.

People might want to imagine that getting this mythical "power back" is going to solve the redzone woes, when I don't think it'll be that simple. I think Hill might be a big part of solidifying one side inside the 20's but, it all comes down the the center of the line gettinga push. Unless Myers gets stronger at the point of attack in the off-season I think his days are limited as a starter. Which is fine because he'll be a VERY valued backup for the team. Not sure Caldwell is a day one ready center like Mack or possibly Eric Wood but, I think he'll be breathing down Myers neck come TC and pre-season. Caldwell, graduating in three years, obviously also has the smarts to play OL QB. He's by the pick I'm most excited about this year.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Usually agree with your OL take but I gotta disagree with you on this one. I think we'll resign Pitts and it's possible he has a pro bowl type of year this season. I'm ok with Brisiel but, I think Myers becomes a weak link inside the 20's. He becomes weak at the point of attack and doesn't get enough push.

People might want to imagine that getting this mythical "power back" is going to solve the redzone woes, when I don't think it'll be that simple. I think Hill might be a big part of solidifying one side inside the 20's but, it all comes down the the center of the line gettinga push. Unless Myers gets stronger at the point of attack in the off-season I think his days are limited as a starter. Which is fine because he'll be a VERY valued backup for the team. Not sure Caldwell is a day one ready center like Mack or possibly Eric Wood but, I think he'll be breathing down Myers neck come TC and pre-season. Caldwell, graduating in three years, obviously also has the smarts to play OL QB. He's by the pick I'm most excited about this year.
Do our goal line plays have to send the back over the center?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read