Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-14-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The OTHER Andre Speaks out

HOUSTONTEXANS.COM

Quote:
3. There is very deep group of wide receivers. How do you see yourself fitting into the mix?

I want to continue to go out there and help the team in any way I can. Andre (Johnson) and Kevin (Walter) are the starters, and they have played great for us the last three years that I have been here. I want to go out there and push those guys. I think the competition that we have within the wide receiving corps continues to push everybody and makes us play at an even higher level. We all understand that we have different skill sets and we accept the roles that we are in, but we are never satisfied with that. We are always going to push Andre and Kevin for those starting roles. I think we all have dreams for being starters in this league.

4. What goals are you setting for yourself on offense?

My goal is to be a starter. I want to play at the highest level I possibly can. We know that Andre is one of the best receivers in the NFL. Hes got the spot locked up, and Kevin has been very solid on the other side of him. I want to let the coaches know that if anything ever happens to those two guys, that I can step in and play at the same level that those guys are playing at or even better. I want to have a healthy season where no injuries occur, so I can go out there and help the team win games.

5. What goals have you set for yourself as a kick returner?

As a returner, I want to do better than I did last year. In 2007, I started returning around the second half of the season. Last year with my finger injury, I missed games and didnt get a full season as a returner. The main goal is to have a whole season as a returner and take my game to the next level. We have a great unit. Of course, there are dangerous players back there that we play against, but if our guys can stay on their guys a count longer, we can do some dangerous things.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 06-14-2009 at 10:12 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: The OTHER Andre Speaks out

If he steps up and becomes another deep threat at his WR spot the Texans would be that much more dangerous. GO TEXANS
Old 06-14-2009   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis already is a deep threat. It's whether he can do the other things in the offense (go over the middle, uncover on intermediate routes) that will determine how often he's used as a WR. Still, Davis has value on special teams as a returner and gunner. So, his spot on the roster should be secure regardless of where he falls on the WR depth chart.
Old 06-14-2009   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Davis already is a deep threat. It's whether he can do the other things in the offense (go over the middle, uncover on intermediate routes) that will determine how often he's used as a WR. Still, Davis has value on special teams as a returner and gunner. So, his spot on the roster should be secure regardless of where he falls on the WR depth chart.
He hasn't made enough plays as a WR to be considered a threat quite yet IMO.
Old 06-14-2009   #5
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I don't know about that. When AJ went down Davis was making some spectacular catches.
Old 06-14-2009   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Last season he had a set back though partly becase of the finger injury.
Old 06-14-2009   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
When the coaches have put him on the field, yes he has. You can't be a threat from the sideline. Like Lucky said, he is there not because he hasn't shown he can be a deep threat but because he isn't the complete package sufficient to beat out Walter.
Old 06-14-2009   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

When AJ went down in 07 Davis stepped in and played nicely but last season he was not on the field enough to show his tools and skills like he did in 07. I hope he has an injury free season and plays like he played for AJ coming off his injury and becomes that full package player.
Old 06-14-2009   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't underestimate the value of a 1,000 yard kick returner who can double as a flank on the offensive side of the ball.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #10
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I think hes going to see less balls than David Anderson this season but he is a good special teams guy and if one of the top 2 WRs gets injured he is probably immediately a starter. Hopefully his return game looks like it did two years ago.
Old 06-14-2009   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Davis is easily the third best WR on the corps and has good value added as a return man. X factor with the receiving unit is if JJ has his head on right and shows strides as a WR.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #12
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't wanna sound overconfident, but this receiving corps could withstand an injury or two and still be one of the best in the league...throw in Casey and Hill as receiving targets and it makes it even better...would any receiver on the Cowboys even make this roster?
Old 06-14-2009   #13
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I don't wanna sound overconfident, but this receiving corps could withstand an injury or two and still be one of the best in the league...throw in Casey and Hill as receiving targets and it makes it even better...would any receiver on the Cowboys even make this roster?
I will be honest with that question. I would take Roy Williams over Davis as Houston's #3, or Miles Austin & Patrick Crayton as the 5th WR over JJ. So yes, IMO three WR's from Dallas would be able to make Houston's roster.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

I don't know about Roy but I'd take Crayton over JJ at this point and time untill JJ proves otherwise.
Old 06-14-2009   #15
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
I will be honest with that question. I would take Roy Williams over Davis as Houston's #3, or Miles Austin & Patrick Crayton as the 5th WR over JJ. So yes, IMO three WR's from Dallas would be able to make Houston's roster.
I agree Miles Austin is a pretty good receiver, but JJ is a better returner and DA and AD are both better receivers. Roy Williams is an awful receiver in my opinion and one of the worst route runners in the league. Ask Troy Aikman.. he ripped on him really good last year in Cowboy games... Crayton has worse hands than JJ and isn't as explosive... Stanback or whatever would be a P-squadder here... Walter and Andre are clearly head and shoulders above so I stand by what I said
Old 06-14-2009   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree Miles Austin is a pretty good receiver, but JJ is a better returner and DA and AD are both better receivers. Roy Williams is an awful receiver in my opinion and one of the worst route runners in the league. Ask Troy Aikman.. he ripped on him really good last year in Cowboy games... Crayton has worse hands than JJ and isn't as explosive... Stanback or whatever would be a P-squadder here... Walter and Andre are clearly head and shoulders above so I stand by what I said
Crayton has worse hands then JJ he has been ok when I have watched the Cowboys.
Old 06-14-2009   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

At All Access, when Kyle Shanahan was asked who the fastest player on the team was, he responded: Andre...Andre Davis.

If that's correct, that's some speed because there are some fast guys on this team.
Old 06-14-2009   #18
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Roy Williams might be an awful route runner, but I would still take him as a slot receiver. JJ is a good punt returner, but he hasn't shown any WR ability, so I would still take Austin & Crayton ahead of him. Having said that I wouldn't take either Crayton or Austin if we had a better #5 then JJ has been to this point.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Being fast in the case of JJ does not help him if he does not hang onto the football.
Old 06-15-2009   #20
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Davis IS a deep threat that has to be accounted for in that regard by any D. He just hasn't been a threat to catch a boatload of 10 to 20 yard passes--like Walter. IF he ever could, we'd have Andre JOHNSON 2--well, almost.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read