Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-13-2009   #1
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Thumbs up Fred Bennett Impressing in Camp

Texans CB Fred Bennett has drawn notice for his play in offseason workouts. The third-year pro regressed somewhat last season after a promising rookie season, but a source close to the club notes he has had a good spring. Bennett will likely be the Texans’ No. 3 cornerback.

Source: Pro Football Weekly
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fred Bennett Impressing in Camp

#3 huh... who are the 1 and 2?

reeves ? and...
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 48009 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
#3 huh... who are the 1 and 2?

reeves ? and...
D-Rob...
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
D-Rob...
thought that,if he shows
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

No way does D-Rob start game 1 without practicing with the team before. Hell, I might hold him back in the first 3 or so before I outright start him. The whole problem with him in the first place is where is he? Has he caught back up to old Dunta form? I'd think it's in his best interest to sign the tender and be at training camp to be prepared for the season, learn the playbook, the feel of the D this year (plenty has changed on D). Bennett is starting game 1 unless Dunta practices.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #6
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Bennett is starting game 1 unless Dunta practices.
Well that's obvious. Dunta will show up to all mandatory practices, unless he does not like money. Which we all know that's all he plays the game for.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Well that's obvious. Dunta will show up to all mandatory practices, unless he does not like money. Which we all know that's all he plays the game for.
dunta hasnt covered himself in glory in my eyes this offseason but even i must say that post is ridiculously unfair to him. im tempted to make you the first person ive ever -1'ed its so bad. you know that how? dunta has never ever given a sniff of being a paycheck player.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2009   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yup him and OD - that's what they're all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Yup him and OD - that's what they're all about.

C'mon now, they're out of camps for what right now? MONEY. That's a sniff friends. No free passes to fan favorites.

So far he's turned down 23 mil and 10 mil (until he signs) so I might even go so far as to say he doesn't like money.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
C'mon now, they're out of camps for what right now? MONEY. That's a sniff friends. No free passes to fan favorites.

So far he's turned down 23 mil and 10 mil (until he signs) so I might even go so far as to say he doesn't like money.

Dunta sealed his own fate when he turned down the same contract as a player , who I think would be considered better and healthier .

http://www.nfl.com/players/chrisgamb...e?id=GAM225683

http://www.nfl.com/players/duntarobi...e?id=ROB407958

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 06-14-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, we have a Dunta thread here. Let's not stray off topic.

I'm not surprised that Bennett is impressing. As Gibbs strips away the "coaching" Bennett received from Jon Hoke, Fred will continue to rise up the depth chart. I expect Bennett in the starting lineup against the Jets.
Old 06-14-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

I'm not surprised that Bennett is impressing. As Gibbs strips away the "coaching" Bennett received from Jon Hoke, Fred will continue to rise up the depth chart. I expect Bennett in the starting lineup against the Jets.
I also think that Bennett's future looks promising!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #13
whiskeyrbl

I think our secondary is going to be alot better than we all think this year.
Old 06-14-2009   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh yeah Bennett ... I bet their praising him to motivate Dunta .
Old 06-14-2009   #15
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No way does D-Rob start game 1 without practicing with the team before. Hell, I might hold him back in the first 3 or so before I outright start him. The whole problem with him in the first place is where is he? Has he caught back up to old Dunta form? I'd think it's in his best interest to sign the tender and be at training camp to be prepared for the season, learn the playbook, the feel of the D this year (plenty has changed on D). Bennett is starting game 1 unless Dunta practices.

Quote:
— Rams FS O.J. Atogwe, who has participated in all the offseason activities so far even though he has yet to sign the team’s one-year, $6.342 million franchise offer, is quite pleased with the way he is adapting to new SS James Butler. “We’re adapting well,” Atogwe said. “That’s one of the reasons why I wanted to be here (at the OTAs), just to get used to the system, get used to the people I’ll be playing with. This defense is very organic, where you have to know what the man next to you is doing. … I feel that me and James are going to continue to grow and get better at that. I think as time goes on and we get more snaps, we’ll be really good.”
Texans holdouts take note. This is how a team player behaves.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 145454 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think that's an unfair and inaccurate representation.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #17
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Bennett will do well as the 3rd corner, but personally I think he plays his best on the edge. I think in nickel situations its possible Dunta will cover the slot and Bennett will come off the bench and cover the edge receivers. He appears to be most comfortable out there.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #18
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

I still have high hopes for Fred, he just needs to regain some of his rookie form. ESPN recently did some segments on "building blocks" for each division and they had a section for future building blocks, they picked 5 guys from each conference.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...ory?id=4248108

"Fred Bennett, CB, Houston Texans

We understand that it seems strange to name Bennett on this list; after all, at the moment, he's not even penciled in to be the Texans' nickelback, let alone a starter or one with a guaranteed job. As far as boom-or-bust candidates go, though, Bennett is right up there.

As a rookie in 2007, Bennett was a revelation. Taking over for Dunta Robinson in Week 9, he allowed a league-low 4.8 yards per pass and prevented the other team from producing a successful outcome (by the standards above) on 61 percent of the passes thrown at him, the second-best percentage in the league. While Bennett might not have really been the best cornerback in the league, he put up the numbers of one for that half-season.

As for last year? Bennett took an enormous step backward. He allowed 7.9 yards per pass, placing him 52nd among cornerbacks, while his 46 percent success rate was 58th in the league. Most of that work came out of the slot, as Bennett lost his starting job after Week 4, got it back in Week 9, but then lost it for good after Week 11.

Heading into 2009, the odds are against Bennett when it comes to both getting playing time and performing as he did for half of the 2007 season. If the 25-year-old can snare a starting job and play like he did as a rookie, though, any team in football would throw one of their starting corners out of a window to give him a job. At a salary of just $460,000 in 2009 and $550,000 in 2010, Bennett could be one of the bigger bargains in the league."

Others included Jared Gaither, Jason Jones, Lawrence Timmons, and Paul Posluszny. My real question would be as long as Dunta comes back in time to have 1 CB spot locked down from the get go what are the chances that Fred, as long as he continues to impress, could knock Jacques off the other spot? I'm thinking its slim and that he is the third guy this year but probably gets a shot to be a starter next season when (I am assuming here) we lose Dunta.
Old 06-14-2009   #19
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on Bennett.

I Can't say enough about how glad I am John Hoke is no longer "coaching" the secondary.

I'd like to hear something about Molden as well. I know the kid has great measureables and could be something special.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #20
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:

Pretty much my thoughts. I never understood why Bennett was pushed down the depth chart so quickly last season. He never really had the playing time to redeem himself of whatever he may have done early on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read