Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-13-2009   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Last gasp effort by Reggie Bush hype machine...

The media cannot let Reggie Bush fail.

Here is an espn.com article that is very LOL.

He's being compared to Pistol Pete (NBA) as in "Poor Reggie Bush is just so special that he's maybe years ahead of where the NFL is going." The comparison was that Pete would have been better if he had played in the Magic Johnson era, and so Reggie Bush is being wrongfully judged, too.

Reggie says "I can run between the tackles..." and there's just so much poo-poo in this article. This just might be the last Bush-hype article, a last-ditch effort for the media to save some face.

The comments below the article are overwhelmingly in favor of "The Texans sure did the right thing" and one said "Brian Westbrook is the type of back that Reggie was hyped to be, and he's not." The readers who are commenting, except for a Saints fan, or pretty clear that Reggie is not what he was made to be, and that "...you have had three years to see what you have."
Old 06-13-2009   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Last gasp effort by Reggie Bush hype machine...

Quote:
But has there ever been a running back who could line up at receiver and beat just about any cornerback in the league, who could return two punts (almost three in one half against Minnesota last year) and run inside and outside the tackles?
Bush hasn't lined up at receiver and beaten just about any CB in the league. He's never averaged 9 yards per reception in any of his 3 seasons, and his career average is 7.5 ypr.

Bush hasn't proven he can run inside or outside the tackles. He's never averaged 4 yards per carry in any season and has a career average of 3.7 ypc.

If Bush has redefined anything, it's mediocrity. Did Bush have talent coming into the league? Yes. Has he come close to fulfilling that promise? No. Thus far, Bush is a classic example of a college star whose game receded once he was paid. He's talking a good game, but his love for the game no longer shows on the field. In that way, he reminds me a lot of Ricky Williams.

Last edited by Lucky; 06-13-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #3
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Bush hasn't lined up at receiver and beaten just about any CB in the league. He's never averaged 9 yards per reception in any of his 3 seasons, and his career average is 7.5 ypr.

Bush hasn't proven he can run inside or outside the tackles. He's never averaged 4 yards per carry in any season and has a career average of 3.7 ypc.

If Bush has refined anything, it's mediocrity. Did Bush have talent coming into the league? Yes. Has he come close to fulfilling that promise? No. Thus far, Bush is a classic example of a college star whose game receded once he was paid. He's talking a good game, but his love for the game no longer shows on the field. In that way, he reminds me a lot of Ricky Williams.
But I would be very excited to see the Texans sign Ricky Williams if they could do it without overspending. Reggie Bush we do not need at any price.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
But I would be very excited to see the Texans sign Ricky Williams if they could do it without overspending. Reggie Bush we do not need at any price.
You'd take the Ricky Williams of today over the Reggie Bush of today? I don't know if I'd go that far. Now even though I'm happier than a peach that the Texans FO had it right and the Texans Fan had it wrong, it would have been kind of interesting to see how successful Bush would have fared under Kubiak's one-cut-and-go scheme.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You'd take the Ricky Williams of today over the Reggie Bush of today? I don't know if I'd go that far. Now even though I'm happier than a peach that the Texans FO had it right and the Texans Fan had it wrong, it would have been kind of interesting to see how successful Bush would have fared under Kubiak's one-cut-and-go scheme.
Absolutely. I'd be real happy to have Reggie Bush as our scatback. Seems silly not to even consider him. He has loads of talent and HAS sucessully moved the football despite his averages. He's a nice weapon to have sitting on the bench ready to come off.

I think he was utilized wrong and definitely as a result of the hype machine.
Old 06-13-2009   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Little Reggie is so much like Percy Harvin, the Vikings first round pick this year, it's wierd. Both about the same size, both versitle, both very fast with 4.3 something speed coming out of college. Big difference was Harvin who was taken at #22 overall which is just about where Bush should have been drafted.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The real reason why that article is full of doodoo?

Because they proclaim him as the "X factor" type player who can get on the field in any situation and make a play but he's not great at that either! You know who else had 2 punt returns last year? Jacoby Jones.

Jack of all trades and master of none. #2 overall. Mistake.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-13-2009   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Bush is the greatest decoy of all time. No team can comprehend what he might do and are therefor confused in all situations.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #9
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yup. Ricky Williams played well last year. He is that bigger back that we are not so sure that we have right now. Ricky can play. We would do well to get Ricky if we could get him without overpaying.

Reggie would not give us anything that we really needed. I know, I know, "you cannot pass on a player with his kind of talent." Well, some people may still believe that, but I never did. I was behind the Mario Williams pick all the way, from several months before he was drafted. Reggie Bush was a second string back in college, and that is all his talent recommends him for.

On the other hand, if Ricky Williams can just leave the refers alone, he could possibly even still be a pro-bowl quality running back.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #10
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 17572 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Reggie Bush is the greatest decoy of all time. No team can comprehend what he might do and are therefor confused in all situations.

if there was a spot for a decoy in the HOF, he'd probably be first ballot.
Old 06-13-2009   #11
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Jack of all trades and master of none. #2 overall. Mistake.
more like 8 of spades of all trades and master of none (except his pr which is good)

bush cant run
bush can catch but cant do much with it when he does
bush cant block
he gets tds but thats mainly due to the scheme & being in a prolific offence and rarely due to his 'gamebreaking ability' (bar the chicage playoff game & other rare occasions)

the texans really couldnt have been more vindicated in their decision. mario is great & the elite young guy at his position. bush has been below average in most aspects. and to top it off the texans landed a back in the 3rd rd who has already laughably outperformed bush in only his rookie season.

listen i usent watch much if any coll fb in 2006 so wasnt any way biased. i actually wanted d'brick to shore up our LT spot & he seemed like a great LT. i dont follow UT or anyone else so im not a bush hater. tbh i was a tad dissapointed when we took mario (we were already set with weaver & babin! lol) but didnt criticise. when i saw the backlash against the pick i really wanted to see why we had made such a terrible mistake in passing on reggie. i still havent seen anything that makes me think that he'll be nothing more than a backup in a couple yrs when a team wont be burdened to play him with his contract (like the saints have to do by taking the clearly superior pierre thoomas off the field to give scatback some time). honestly if i had the pick of ryan moats or reggie bush, i really would struggle not to take moats even in the limited time ive seen of him with us & the eagles.

reggies bush is a homeless mans darren sproles.
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #12
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I was wrong. The Texans management was right.

I leave it at that when analyzing Mr. Bush.

Everyone, aside from Saints fans (And Mel Kiper), knows Houston made the right choice.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
The media cannot let Reggie Bush fail.

He's being compared to Pistol Pete (NBA) as in "Poor Reggie Bush is just so special that he's maybe years ahead of where the NFL is going." The comparison was that Pete would have been better if he had played in the Magic Johnson era, and so Reggie Bush is being wrongfully judged, too.

AT LEAST IT COULD RUN
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Bush is brilliant. We just lack the necessary gray matter to fully comprehend that brilliance. Reggie Bush isn't a "running back" or a "football player". He's an idea wrenched from the mind of man and made real. One day all of us may understand that... IF evolution will get its butt in gear and evolve us enough to grasp what he's really capable of.

That's pretty much how it goes right?
Old 06-13-2009   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

That's very insulting to Pistol Pete and every one of us who can't "comprehend" the greatness that wears 25 in a black and gold jersey. Give me one GM who takes Bush over DeAngelo Williams or Matt Forte.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to send the sports media a video of all the commercials that Bush and Young were in, right after the draft and through the first year or two. I'd like to attach a sticky note to the outside of the DVD that says "Where Are They Now?" And maybe attach a scratch-n-stiff sticker that smells like dookie.

The Madden Commercials were especially outrageous. That was insulting then. Looking back on those commercials is even more insulting now.

Vince Young's marketability is on par with mine. And now we have media CPR being performed on the guy who was The Next Gale Sayers, The Next Everything, The No Miss Draft Choice.

Young and Bush are proving that you can be gimmicky in college and it doesn't necessarily carry over to the next level. Oops.
Old 06-13-2009   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Give me one GM who takes Bush over DeAngelo Williams or Matt Forte.
Or Steve Slaton. Steve Slaton is what Reggie Bush was promised to be.
Old 06-14-2009   #18
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 31526 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

If our choices were reduced to Heisman winners, Ron Dayne troddles cicles around Reggie....
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush hasn't had a performance that compared to Ron Dayne's against the Colts. In fact, I don't think he's had a run longer than Dayne.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I truly believe that Reggie Bush isn't a true running back but is an effective football player. I like the way the Saints use him out of the backfield as a receiver. The only problem is that the defense does not buy him as a running threat. I think as a slot receiver he could be considered one of the best at his position, because he really is a good receiver. The scouts really didn't understand where he would make his mark, but Sean Payton did.

Reggie hasn't lived up to a #2 pick and probably never will, but as a slot receiver, or a receiver out of the backfield he is dangerous. He needs to be kept away from running up the middle because he is a fragile player, but he does have his feats. He is a good return man, and if you can get him in the open field he is dangerous. Bush is an effective football player, but people will always overrate or underrate him due to where in the draft he was selected.

For the record, my first post on this message board was a rant about how we were not going to select Reggie Bush. I have never been a big Bush supporter or believer. I see him for what he is. We all know that we got the best of that draft.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read