Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-11-2009   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Rex Grossman a Texan

According to @RosenhausSports Rex Grossman is visiting the Houston Texans and will agree to a 1 year deal after a physical.

"Rex Grossman will be visiting the Houston Texans tonight. He will be taking a physcial and we anticipate agreeing to terms on a 1 year deal."
Old 06-11-2009   #2
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Rex Grossman a Texan

I just came here to post this.....

Quote:
The Houston Texans could soon be adding a new quarterback to a depth chart that became considerably weaker once Sage Rosenfels was traded to the Vikings.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus has announced that Rex Grossman, a first-round pick six years ago who has become largely forgotten during his stint on the free-agent shelf, will visit the Texans on Thursday night.

Rosenhaus said he anticipates that Grossman will sign a one-year deal.

If Rosenhaus is right, the former Bears starter will join Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky, and Alex Brink as the four quarterbacks heading into training camp.

The real question is whether Grossman is merely a camp arm or whether he has a legitimate shot at making the 53-man roster.

His chief competition likely will be Orlovsky, who signed as a free agent. So the options to serve as the backup to Matt Schaub (who missed five games in each of his two years as a starter) will be a guy who runs out of his own end zone, or a guy who stays in bounds and fires a deep ball that is caught by the other team.
link

I'm in shock.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #3
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

More competition I guess
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #4
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

He will be a third string QB. Kubes has gone from conservative on the backup QB spot to paranoid. We went from having no more than 2 on a roster to 3. I liked Grossman's tools, but he was never consistent. He reminded me of our friend DC.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #5
NEB74
Rookie

oh wow...
NEB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #6
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure what to say....

That's a hell of a camp arm, though.
Old 06-11-2009   #7
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

i feel more comfortable with rex then with dan o if schaub goes down again
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2009   #8
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Not sure why we need Grossman? I have only heard positive things on Brink's development. I think Dan can be a good QB with Kubiak & Lil Shanny coaching him up. I really don't understand it if we actually do sign him.

I don't know what to say. I guess we'll have to wait to see if we really do sign him and what Kubiak/Smith has to say about it. We could be using whatever money we are about to spend on Rex to re-sign Dunta & OD and to sign some rookies.

???
Old 06-11-2009   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got no problem at all with Grossman as a back up. Just don't want to ever see him as our starter. But as a back up, I'm fine with that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't help but feel Grossman is camp fodder. Kubiac only carries two QBs on the active roster during the regular season. Unless that is going to change, and since we already signed D.O. to a 3 year contract, I'm not seeing the need for Grossman. I doubt Grossman is eligable for the practice squad nor would he probably play on one.

Oh well. At least it's a new mystery to ponder.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #11
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I'm completely cool with Grossman. Good signing if true, but may indicate a 3 qb rotation.
That'll eliminate the longsnapper and thus have a TE or LB that could do both.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
but may indicate a 3 qb rotation.
What do you mean by that?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #13
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

This looks like Quinn Gray all over again.

People will speculate about how this signing is too high-profile to be merely a camp move and how there must be something in the works, we will go through camp, and, ultimately, Grossman will be cut before the season starts.

It is interesting that Smith and Kubiak like to do this though. I wonder what the benefit is, because it can't be the most prudent practice financially.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What do you mean by that?
Didn't mean rotation (still on baseball talk). 3 qb roster.
Old 06-11-2009   #15
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

There is NO WAY Rex Grossman is coming here to be a third-string quarterback. He's going to compete with Orlovsky, which means either he looked bad at OTAs, or the coaches aren't a sure about him as the fat contract they gave him suggested they were.

The Texans aren't going to carry 3 QBs on the 53-man roster, and Grossman obviously isn't going to the practice squad. He's here for one reason - to compete with Orlovsky.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
This looks like Quinn Gray all over again.

People will speculate about how this signing is too high-profile to be merely a camp move and how there must be something in the works, we will go through camp, and, ultimately, Grossman will be cut before the season starts.

It is interesting that Smith and Kubiak like to do this though. I wonder what the benefit is, because it can't be the most prudent practice financially.
It is ABSOLUTELY too high-profile to merely be a camp arm. It may turn out that way - but the Texans could just go out and re-sign Shane Boyd if they needed nothing more than a camp arm.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #17
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
There is NO WAY Rex Grossman is coming here to be a third-string quarterback. He's going to compete with Orlovsky, which means either he looked bad at OTAs, or the coaches aren't a sure about him as the fat contract they gave him suggested they were.

The Texans aren't going to carry 3 QBs on the 53-man roster, and Grossman obviously isn't going to the practice squad. He's here for one reason - to compete with Orlovsky.
^^^^^^^
This
Old 06-11-2009   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I'm completely cool with Grossman. Good signing if true, but may indicate a 3 qb rotation.
That'll eliminate the longsnapper and thus have a TE or LB that could do both.
If they do keep three experienced QBs on the roster, it would prove a wise move if Schaub's injury trend continues.

It would be nice if one of the position players is also the long snapper - isn't that being considered? The third QB could slide into that spot historically used by the Texans for the long snapper.
Old 06-11-2009   #19
TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If they do keep three experienced QBs on the roster, it would prove a wise move if Schaub's injury trend continues.

It would be nice if one of the position players is also the long snapper - isn't that being considered? The third QB could slide into that spot historically used by the Texans for the long snapper.
Yep, I'd feel way more comfortable with a superbowl quarterback sitting on the bench with another option as well.

I believe that Dressen was looked at as the long snapper, and Casey has been looked at as longsnapper in camp. I can't remember who closed out the season for us after Pittman was suspended.
Old 06-11-2009   #20
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61481 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Well let's see. This just screams "oops Dan O isn't doing very well" in OTA's to me. They won't say that publically, but that's my take. Looks to me like they are probably telling him he has a legit shot to be the primary backup. I say bring him in. He has a lot of starting experience. He is wildly inconsistent and is prone to being picked, but as a backup he isn't a bad option really. Don't want him starting for an extended period if we can help it though. I guess I would just say let the best man win.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read