Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who will have the better record this year?
Texans, of course. You nuts? 66 94.29%
Crygirls suck, but will have the better record. 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2009   #1
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Better Record: Texans Vs. Cowboys

I have a friend who is what I consider to be a stereotypical cowgirl fan. He's one of those guys who finds it hard to turn down a bet when it comes to the girls.
He was talking his typical smack a few weeks ago, and I decided to offer him a bet that I knew he couldn't refuse.
Who will have the better record, Texans or Crygirls for $100?
I usually only offer bets to him when I have a clear cut advantage, because like I said, he will take almost any bet against the girls, and is pretty easy to take advantage of.
I think I let my emotions talk me into offering this bet, because it's a lot closer than the bets that I usually win off my friend.
I guess I'm looking for some comfort from my fellow Texans fans.
What do you think?
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Better Record: Texans Vs. Cowboys

I took the Texans because the NFC east is a much tougher division than the AFC south.

Plus the AFC south gets top play the NFC west this year.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #3
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected

I would say Texans by a game or two just because of the schedule.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #4
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127251 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Regular season does not matter.

Texans over Cowboys in the Super Bowl!
Old 06-08-2009   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Regular season does not matter.

Texans over Cowboys in the Super Bowl!
I like your sentiment, but for the purposes of my bet, regular season matters.
Old 06-08-2009   #6
Comcastic
Rookie

The NFC East will be maiming each other. The AFC South looks to be the same, but yes, we get the NFC West this year! Definitely a favorable schedule for Houston this year, with the massive problem being the Patriots, with that one guy coming back. At least that's Week 17.

But I wouldn't sleep on the other 3 AFC East teams on the schedule. One of those games is screaming "trap." Cardinals are the defending NFC champs, and now have a three-headed monster of receivers, due to the emergence of Steve Breaston as a 3rd option next to Fitz and Boldin. Secondary is going to be severely tested in Phoenix.

Talking about favorable... the NFC East gets the AFC West. But I'm looking forward to the signature Romo meltdown this upcoming year.

My ideal scenario:
Texans will sweep the Jaguars and split with Indy and Tennessee. 4-2 in division, 6-4 against everyone else, and PLAYOFFS!!!!! In a very cutthroat race that will be decided in the final week.

Cowboys get swept by the Giants and Eagles, and split with the Redskins.
1-5 in division, but they'll rebound and go 9-7. Meh. No playoffs.
Comcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Why does it matter?Get over the complex and just try and have the best record possible and make the playoffs. Hopefully both teams do well and then you go from there. I'd be more concerned about having a better record than the Colts or Titans or Jags, real rivals.

Even though I'm a Boys fan I have to say that schedule and all would add up to the Texans but its a wildcard depending on whether the Boys return to 13-3 play or last years uninspired play.
Old 06-08-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I have a friend who is what I consider to be a stereotypical cowgirl fan. He's one of those guys who finds it hard to turn down a bet when it comes to the girls.
He was talking his typical smack a few weeks ago, and I decided to offer him a bet that I knew he couldn't refuse.
Who will have the better record, Texans or Crygirls for $100?
I usually only offer bets to him when I have a clear cut advantage, because like I said, he will take almost any bet against the girls, and is pretty easy to take advantage of.
I think I let my emotions talk me into offering this bet, because it's a lot closer than the bets that I usually win off my friend.
I guess I'm looking for some comfort from my fellow Texans fans.
What do you think?
Man, that's a bet that could go either way really. The Cowgirls still have quite a bit of talent and if one of those guys could step up in their receiving game, then they could still be pretty dangerous on offense with that nice stable of RB's they have if Tony gets on the right page with his WR's.

ANd if you remember their defense was really really good for a certain stretch when Phillips took over last season.

In the end, I think that the Texans will have a better record as long as our defense has a significant improvement and we don't have those same red zone woes from last season.

If I had to pick, I'd go with the Texans having the better record, and mainly because of our division being a little easier. The Texans also have a pretty easy schedule this year as well.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #9
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Why does it matter?Get over the complex and just try and have the best record possible and make the playoffs. Hopefully both teams do well and then you go from there. I'd be more concerned about having a better record than the Colts or Titans or Jags, real rivals.

Even though I'm a Boys fan I have to say that schedule and all would add up to the Texans but its a wildcard depending on whether the Boys return to 13-3 play or last years uninspired play.
Honestly, I think you should get over your complex of telling us to get over our complexes.
This is a bet that I have between myself, and my friend who happens to be a cowboy fan. He's one of the fans who lives up to every single cowboy fan stereotype, and he and I have a great time ragging each other about our favorite teams.
Trust me, I've taken my lumps from him. I've taken the guy to many Texans games, and he wears his cowboy gear every time, even though he claims to root for the Texans when they're not playing against his boys.
I just wanted some feedback here.
I think you should do yourself a favor, and stay out of threads like this. They're not going away, and we all know clearly where you stand on the subject.

You kind of remind me of Sisyphus with this war you wage on our treatment of the cowgirls.

Old 06-08-2009   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

My bad

I'll clear up my comment

Not meant to be a slam on the bet or micahelm...was meant to say that hopefully this won't be a future debate as far as a standard and that hopefully the Texans can establish their own rep within their division, etc.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 06-08-2009 at 12:17 PM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #11
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 876 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School

Quote:
I'm confused. I don't think I've ever discussed in detail about any complexes and have been respectful about being a fan here.

As for you and your rant for no reason....my main point still stands. They aren't a rival. They are a perceived rival. The real rivalry is in the division. If I wasn't being truthful I wouldn't have stated the Texans would do better.
I think the rivalry here is between the two guys. Just two friends propping up their own teams.

I picked the Texans for two simple reasons: 1) I am a homer and I don't care what anyone else thinks. 2) The Cowboys suck!!! ( no offense Frog, it's just an old family rivalry that dates back to before I could even spell football )!!!
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I think the rivalry here is between the two guys. Just two friends propping up their own teams.

I picked the Texans for two simple reasons: 1) I am a homer and I don't care what anyone else thinks. 2) The Cowboys suck!!! ( no offense Frog, it's just an old family rivalry that dates back to before I could even spell football )!!!
I clarified..my bad.
Old 06-08-2009   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
My bad

I'll clear up my comment

Not meant to be a slam on the bet or micahelm...was meant to say that hopefully this won't be a future debate as far as stadard and that hopefully the Texans can establish their own rep within their division, etc.
No harm frog. We wouldn't really be fans if we didn't get riled up a bit over our teams, right?
Sorry about the Sisyphus thing. It just occurred to me, and it made me laugh, so I threw it out there.
Old 06-08-2009   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
No harm frog. We wouldn't really be fans if we didn't get riled up a bit over our teams, right?
Sorry about the Sisyphus thing. It just occurred to me, and it made me laugh, so I threw it out there.
Right!I just don't like taking it too far..all just came out wrong!

Anyways, as for the bet, as I said...I think the Texans have a better shot on division and depending on what Boys teams shows up. If they start hot they could have a great year...if problems surface early, there could be turmoil that will last all season.
Old 06-08-2009   #15
nflnutswife
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 925 nflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respectednflnutswife is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans, I like our first 8 games really!
I am a Cowboy fan regardless of how they do. This year and their new stadium might be a bit of an edge to the boys ego's.
Old 06-08-2009   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the rivalry just isn't football it's city vs city, so no matter what you're going to get Houston>Dallas IMO. Living here in Dallas I can't say I'm a fan of the city at all though and am looking forward to no matter what happens with my fiance's job to be able to get out.

All that said I think it's going to be close because both play in pretty brutal divisions, but we get what looks like on paper an easy division to deal with in the NFC West. I think the AFC West will have a surprise year. I think SD is slowly fading with Norv at the helm and predict a similar season like last year. AS a HC he just can't work with talent even though it's all been handed to him. Not sure how I feel about Cassell outside of NE but they should have stability at the postition for the first time in a while. Can't say I agree with what Denver has done but should still be a tough team to deal with. I think Oakland will see some improvement with Cable at the helm.

The 'boys will have a nice stable of RBs to hand off to but, can Roy "No one is getting a tip from me" Williams step up in place of TO on the field? Off the field the team is way better off without him.

I'm going to have us win one more game then them. I think 10-11 wins is realistic for us.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right!I just don't like taking it too far..all just came out wrong!

Anyways, as for the bet, as I said...I think the Texans have a better shot on division and depending on what Boys teams shows up. If they start hot they could have a great year...if problems surface early, there could be turmoil that will last all season.
Frog, have you been keeping up with the Eagles off-season at all? Personally, I think they look sick on paper and might be the team that takes a huge step in that division this season. Honestly, whaddaya think?
Old 06-08-2009   #18
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflnutswife View Post
Texans, I like our first 8 games really!
I am a Cowboy fan regardless of how they do. This year and their new stadium might be a bit of an edge to the boys ego's.
I agree with the bolded, but aren't they still having problems selling their luxury suites or something?
If they are, that could have a negative effect on their ego.
Old 06-08-2009   #19
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

this poll is gonna be so bias LOL
Old 06-08-2009   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
this poll is gonna be so bias LOL
I hope so. I needed something to make me feel warm and fuzzy about my bet!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read