Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 06-07-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default UFL to be NFL Minor League Farm???

Could there actually be an covert "arrangement" of "non-compete" between the UFL and the NFL? In light of the loss of the NFLE, could the NFL actually support the establishment of the UFL as a "developmental league" with a wink-wink here, and a wink-wink there..........and maybe a couple of bucks under table. Hmmm.

Quote:
UFL Conducts Workout

The United Football League held its first workout today in Orlando, Fla., with coach Dennis Green and personnel man Rick Mueller overseeing the activity on the field.

Afterward, UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue, a former Jacksonville Jaguars executive, issued this comment on his Twitter account: “Congrats to Coach Green and Rick Mueller on an excellent job with the workouts. A very talented group of players. Tick Tock.”

According to UFL spokeswoman Rachel Gary, Green gave an inspirational motivational speech before the workout started.

“Pleasantly surprised with the speed of the players considering the field conditions after the rain,” Gary wrote.

There was no immediate word on who tried out for the UFL today. The league has billed itself as requiring prospective players to have some sort of NFL background.

“Workouts are by invitation,” Huyghue wrote. “Players must have NFL experience. We are designed to reach young players with some NFL experience. We want players to finish our season and be able to jump on NFL rosters.”

Recently, UFL coach Jim Fassel, the former New York Giants head coach, said that he wouldn’t be opposed to giving Michael Vick a shot.

The league has franchises in Orlando, New York, San Francisco, and Las Vegas.

[LINK]
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UFL to be NFL Minor League Farm???

4 franchises? That's just nothing...wouldn't seem to be much excitement just having the same 4 teams play over and over.

Not that I hope for failure. I've always enjoyed football in any form but 4 teams?
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #3
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been preaching for a couple of years now that the NFL should keep the NFL Europe idea, but do it right here in the good ol USA. Right here where fans are starving for football and where we can get a whole lot more and better coverage than we got across the pond. Put it in cities like San Antonio, OKC, Vegas, Portland, Louisville, San Jose, Salt Lake, Memphis, Orlando, Katy, etc. Cities that don't have an NFL team and big enough to support it like those mentioned. Hell, maybe even Los Angeles could finally get a team.

I don't know why, with the NFL's backing, that they wouldn't do something like that. As big as minor league baseball is, I don't see why a 12 team or so, developmental league to the NFL couldn't do as well or better.

It'd sure give the NFL Network something to do in the off-season.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #4
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: UFL to be NFL Minor League Farm???

I've wondered about "farm leagues" before. If 2 or more NFL teams "share" a farm team... then are they helping an opponent? Let's say the best QB on the
farm team is being groomed by a particular team; what does it benefit the other team(s) for that QB to play?
Old 06-07-2009   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

This week was the first tryout.........next one is in Las Vegas. The UFL plans to have a formal draft next year. Per PFT:

Quote:
former Baltimore Ravens first-round pick Travis Taylor and former Arizona Cardinals first-round selection David Boston were a few of the players in attendance, UFL spokeswoman Rachel Gary told us in a telephone interview today.

Besides Taylor, other ex-NFL players on hand included: tight end Jermaine Wiggins, quarterback Quinn Gray, wide receiver Reche Caldwell and running back LaBrandon Toefield and wide receiver/defensive back Bobby Sippio.
I remember reading earlier that the season will be considered a "mini-season" which begins in October. If this is so, it is not staggered to the NFL offseason like the NFLE. They will be going head to head. The other point IIRC, the UFL is intended to expand to 6-8 teams in 2010. I suspect they'll probably I adding to their rosters as NFL cuts occur.
Old 06-07-2009   #6
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a good opportunity for bordeline pros to extend their careers and advertise themselves to the big leagues.... also expands the player base for the NFL.....

I think its a good idea in theory.

I guess like most things it will come down to $$$$.

One question, does minor league baseball make a profit?? Or do these teams operate at a loss but get propped up by MLB teams?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #7
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
It's a good opportunity for bordeline pros to extend their careers and advertise themselves to the big leagues.... also expands the player base for the NFL.....

I think its a good idea in theory.

I guess like most things it will come down to $$$$.

One question, does minor league baseball make a profit?? Or do these teams operate at a loss but get propped up by MLB teams?
Minor League baseball does pretty well and there are many teams that turn a significant profit. They are able to charge much less for tickets since they are subsidized by MLB in a way. They are not responsible for player payroll, the parent club is. Interesting Forbes article here:

Quote:
In the first-ever exhaustive analysis on the finances of minor league baseball, Forbes ranks the 20 most valuable MiLB teams. We focused our study on the 160 minor league teams in either class AAA, AA or A (excluding rookie leagues) that, although they are independently owned and operated, are directly affiliated with a Major League Baseball team. Such teams have their ownership and capitalization vetted by both MiLB and MLB.

The most valuable team is the Sacramento River Cats, an affiliate of the Oakland Athletics owned by Art Savage and worth $29.8 million. The River Cats drew more than 700,000 fans last season (an average of 10,000 per game), the most in the minors.

The River Cats play in Raley Field, among the best stadiums in baseball, period. Raley Field is just eight years old, located just beyond California's State Capital. Affluent patrons can been seen sipping Johnnie Walker at the bar, and the stadium has become a hot place for young adults to socialize on Friday and Saturday evenings. The River Cats own the stadium, which pulls in big advertising bucks from the likes of Coca-Cola (nyse: KO - news - people ). Lawn seats can be had for $5, and the team will throw you an 80-person fajita party in the James Hardie Party Deck for $3,800.

Rounding out the top five: The Memphis Redbirds, The Frisco RoughRiders, The Round Rock Express and the Indianapolis Indians, publicly traded under the ticker symbol INDN. Since its thinly traded shares were listed on the pink sheets in 2004, the price of Indian shares increased to $24,000 per share from $16,000, during a period the S&P 500 tanked. In 2007, the Indians increased the dividend to $350 a sh
I honestly prefer minor league baseball in many ways. It's cheaper, there are usually a ton of other events going on at the same time, and I like it when it's a little more laid back and less crowded. Also many minor league stadiums are incredible. I've been to Round Rock, Frisco, San Antonio, and Corpus here in TX. Corpus Christi has an absolutley amazing field by the way, great place to catch a game. The nicest place I've ever seen a game was in Asheville NC, which has one of the most amazing sports stadiums I've ever seen nestled in the Appalachian hills.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2009   #8
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 45478 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
One question, does minor league baseball make a profit??
Let's just say, when I grow up I want to be a minor league baseball owner.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #9
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

I also prefer minor league baseball to MLB. It is a more appealing atmosphere.

Anyway, a 4 team league is boring. I do think that it is a good base for a minor league system though. I dont think there are 32 cities that can support a minor league team, but there should be 16. A neutral party would own the team, and get the team prospects from an AFC team and an NFC team.

Just thinking this out a little:
Las Vegas
Orlando
New York City
The San Fran team moves to San Jose
Columbus
OKC
Salt Lake City
LA
Portland
Omaha
San Antonio
Birmingham
Lousiville

Ok, so I have not made it to 16
Honolulu?
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #10
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Re: UFL to be NFL Minor League Farm???

I like the idea of having a "farm system" in the NFL. Guys like All-Pro Guards Brian Waters helped themselves by going to NFL Europe to hone there skills before returning to the NFL. Also, this would be a good way of spreading football fever locally and nationally in cities such as San Antonio, L.A., Las Vegas, Portland, etc.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #11
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I've been preaching for a couple of years now that the NFL should keep the NFL Europe idea, but do it right here in the good ol USA. Right here where fans are starving for football and where we can get a whole lot more and better coverage than we got across the pond. Put it in cities like San Antonio, OKC, Vegas, Portland, Louisville, San Jose, Salt Lake, Memphis, Orlando, Katy, etc. Cities that don't have an NFL team and big enough to support it like those mentioned. Hell, maybe even Los Angeles could finally get a team.

I don't know why, with the NFL's backing, that they wouldn't do something like that. As big as minor league baseball is, I don't see why a 12 team or so, developmental league to the NFL couldn't do as well or better.

It'd sure give the NFL Network something to do in the off-season.
That's the best idea I've heard in a long time. I'd rep you if I could.
Old 06-07-2009   #12
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post

Anyway, a 4 team league is boring. I do think that it is a good base for a minor league system though. I dont think there are 32 cities that can support a minor league team, but there should be 16. A neutral party would own the team, and get the team prospects from an AFC team and an NFC team.

Las Vegas
Orlando
New York City
Columbus
OKC
Salt Lake City
LA
Portland
Omaha
San Antonio
Birmingham
Lousiville

Honolulu?
Alba-quirky/El Paso
Reno/Sacramento
Memphis/Little Rock
Vancouver, BC

Just my seven cents.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #13
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2051 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post

Las Vegas
Orlando
New York City
Columbus
OKC
Salt Lake City
LA
Portland
Omaha
San Antonio
Birmingham
Lousiville

Honolulu?
How about:
Memphis
Milwaukee
Des Moines
Ft Worth
Portland

almost forgot Shreveport/Bossier City
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #14
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

You know, I was about to ask why New York City needs a minor league football team. Then I remembered they don't have one and Jersey has two. Staying in the same state, I think Buffalo might be a strong candidate for a minor league football team. I kind of doubt the Bills are going to be there much longer.
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Roger Goodell has said he wants a minor leage/farm system. College football is a good way to find and develop players for a few years, but if a team wants to develop a 3rd string QB, there just aren't any options. I can't see the NFL starting anything up until the economy is healthier. I'm sure the NFL can afford to do it, but it's not the best thing to do PR-wise.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

The UFL's commissioner on Twitter reveals plans to expand to Europe by year 2 or 3. It would be well to walk before trying to run.

https://twitter.com/UFLCommissioner
Old 07-01-2009   #17
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

At this point, it seems that the UFL pay scale sets them up as an NFL "farm league" rather than a true competition. Good and successful UFL players could be prime meat for NFL pickings.

Quote:
The memo confirms that, indeed, the base pay will be $35,000.

But not for kickers, punters, and long snappers. Per the memo, they'll be paid at a base rate of only $25,000.

The sole exception will be the league's four starting quarterbacks. Though there's no stated limit regarding their pay, each UFL teams is permitted to pay its starting quarterback an amount more than $35,000.

Players who land on injured reserve will receive 50 percent of their prorated base pay for the remainder of the year.

Each team will be permitted to bring 60 players to training camp in September. The number reduces to 50 for the regular season. Teams are permitted to dress 45 players on game day, along with a third quarterback.

Although Jason La Canfora of NFL.com has reported that up to $15,000 might be available in additional compensation based on playing-time incentives, the memo does not mention any specific amounts. Instead, the memo explains that the UFL "may establish" a discretionary Player Performance Pool, which will be aimed at rewarding the top-performing players on each team.

"The formula has not been finalized," the memo states, "and may be based on such factors as playtime, starts, and other performance thresholds and will be distributed solely at the League's discretion after the end of the regular season and Championship Game."

Also, the active members of the active/inactive roster of the team that wins the UFL championship will receive an extra $5,000, and the members of the active/inactive roster of the second-place team will be paid an extra $2,500.
Old 07-03-2009   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
New league will consider signing Vick

NEW YORK – When the United Football League debuts in October, Michael Vick could be one of its players.

Michael Huyghue, the commissioner of the new four-team league, says the UFL is willing to give Vick a place to play — provided there are no pending legal issues. His rights belong to the Orlando franchise.

"One of the things that is important in our premiere season is to showcase the quality of talent and the coaches, and to be able to show outstanding players who find themselves in this quagmire the NFL creates," Huyghue said. "Michael Vick might be that kind of player because he is ... a phenomenal talent, but he needs transitionining back into the NFL.

"Also gaining as much widespread exposure for the league as possible might be addressed with Michael Vick."

Huyghue said he will monitor the Vick situation closely and "if he is free and clear of legal issues, we will look at the situation."

Vick already has served an 18-month sentence in federal prison for his involvement in a dogfighting ring. He is under home confinement until July 20, after which the NFL is expected to announce whether the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback will be suspended.

Vick, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2001 draft, has not played football since the 2006 season.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090703/...e/fbo_vick_ufl
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #19
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I still don't see how a 4 team league can succeed...how boring playing the same teams over and over.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I still don't see how a 4 team league can succeed...how boring playing the same teams over and over.
yeah, and if one of them is really bad, or really good, it gets even worse in these start up leagues. I still don't understand why they are playing during the regular NFL season. If they were playing in the spring they might get some attention from football starved fans.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read