Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-06-2009   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Bennet Becomes Leader Of Secondary

Rookie cornerback Glover Quin has welcomed the advice coming from Fred Bennett. In practice, Bennett will tell him a technique he should tweak or how a drill should be run. In meetings, Bennett will ask some of the rookies questions, and often praises them when they execute something well on the field.

Now comfortable and more confident in the Texans’ system, Bennett is working to spend some of his time helping those around him, similar to what Dunta Robinson did during Bennett’s first two seasons.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6457117.html
Old 06-06-2009   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Bennet Becomes Leader Of Secondary

Very cool. I really hope and expect to see a major improvement out of Bennet this season. He looked like the real deal his rookie season but went through the sophomore slump last year. I expect to see him take the next step this year.
Old 06-06-2009   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Who needs Donte if he is going to act out?
Old 06-06-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I seriously think this is Dunta's last season here. We'll franchise him and then he'll move on in FA next year. Houston has good depth at corner now with plenty of talented young prospects.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think our secondary is very good yet so the texans definitely need Robinson. I think we all want to see a little less talk and a little more shutting down but his contract bs doesn't mean we don't need him. 10mil for a year pretty well explains necessity
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I think most of the problems with the secondary last season has to do with the safeties (not to mention Dick Smith's 10 yard cushions)....not really the corners. If Bennett can elevate his play and return more to his rookie form, Dunta won't be missed that much. Plus if our front seven additions allow us to produce more preasure it's going to make the back 4 look that much better.

Dunta didn't really look all that hot either when he came back last season......he's not worth what he's asking for. Atleast not until he can prove he's fully back for a full season.
Old 06-06-2009   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

If these guys start playing well I think there is enough talent to move on from Donte. He is already a bug and it might only get worse from here. Why take that chance? Now if he comes back this season and plays at the level he played at pre injury or anywhere close then talk about it. Produce and you shall receive. Close mouth and preform. Show the team why they should consider your terms while being out there with your football team on the football field.
Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2009   #8
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
If these guys start playing well I think there is enough talent to move on from Donte. He is already a bug and it might only get worse from here. Why take that chance? Now if he comes back this season and plays at the level he played at pre injury or anywhere close then talk about it. Produce and you shall receive. Close mouth and preform. Show the team why they should consider your terms while being out there with your football team on the football field.
Agreed. As another poster said, I really believe we will see a big difference with our secondary due to the move from the vanilla read and react defense. Also, we should be getting a much better pass rush which will also help our secondary significantly.
Old 06-06-2009   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Agreed. As another poster said, I really believe we will see a big difference with our secondary due to the move from the vanilla read and react defense. Also, we should be getting a much better pass rush which will also help our secondary significantly.
Read and react no longer. I hope the D is agressive from here on out and I think they will be.
Old 06-06-2009   #10
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Read and react no longer. I hope the D is agressive from here on out and I think they will be.
Yeah we'll probably give up alot more big plays (but whats the difference in giving up a big play or being slowly bled to death on a 12-13+ play drive?), but we'll also FORCE alot of big game changing plays on defense....and that's something we didn't do last year.

Under Dick Smith this team basically ran a preseason shell defense throughout the entire season.
Old 06-06-2009   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

I am ready to see the changes that have been made or are being made this offseason under the new DC. Donte hasn't shown anyone anything yet he was ok when he came back last season but not flashy by any means. He should be with his team right now at OTA's showing all of us why he should get more money.
Old 06-06-2009   #12
IMA TEXAN
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 IMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden coverIMA TEXAN could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
If these guys start playing well I think there is enough talent to move on from Donte. He is already a bug and it might only get worse from here. Why take that chance?...
Quote:
If Dunta does not sign his franchise offer and the other guys look good in the first couple of preseason games, the Texans might pull back their franchise offer. OOPS! Bye-bye $9.97 million, hello $2 to 3 million.
IMA TEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very cool. I really hope and expect to see a major improvement out of Bennet this season. He looked like the real deal his rookie season but went through the sophomore slump last year. I expect to see him take the next step this year.
I attribute much of Bennett's "slump" to the coaching he received under Hoke and the scheme of Richard Smith. The more Bennett was coached by these guys, the worse he became. Bennett has more talent that any CB signed to the roster, and I expect him to be one of the starting CBs on opening day.
Old 06-06-2009   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMA TEXAN View Post
If Dunta does not sign his franchise offer and the other guys look good in the first couple of preseason games, the Texans might pull back their franchise offer. OOPS! Bye-bye $9.97 million, hello $2 to 3 million.
We'll see how it goes.
Old 06-06-2009   #15
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

I really really like Bennet.

That being said, we need Dunta on the field.
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poundcake View Post
I really really like Bennet.

That being said, we need Dunta on the field.
When he is on field.
Old 06-06-2009   #17
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I attribute much of Bennett's "slump" to the coaching he received under Hoke and the scheme of Richard Smith. The more Bennett was coached by these guys, the worse he became. Bennett has more talent that any CB signed to the roster, and I expect him to be one of the starting CBs on opening day.
Glad to read that. What is it that you see in Bennett that makes you believe he "has more talent than any CB signed to the roster"? Makes me excited to read that, and I definitely agree he is very talented. Just curious what makes you give him such high accolades.

Oh and I definitely agree with you about Hoke and Dick Smith being the problem. Glad they are both gone.
Old 06-06-2009   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Glad to read that. What is it that you see in Bennett that makes you believe he "has more talent than any CB signed to the roster"? Makes me excited to read that, and I definitely agree he is very talented. Just curious what makes you give him such high accolades.

Oh and I definitely agree with you about Hoke and Dick Smith being the problem. Glad they are both gone.
He showed signs in his rookie season. Tough and willing to learn and teaching other guys a thing or two at OTA''s like Donte used to do. A hard hitter. Saying things like try it this way or that way at OTA's and his physical nature on the football field. Bad coaching last season just led to his downfall last season. It was just his second season and he will continue to grow in the league.
Old 06-06-2009   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What is it that you see in Bennett that makes you believe he "has more talent than any CB signed to the roster"?
Well, I think he has good size. Decent speed. He can turn, run, and find the ball. I think what Bennett has over the rest of the current group is instincts to play the position. There's physical ability in the Texans secondary. Most are lacking the instincts to play the position.

When Bennett was put into the lineup as a rookie, he flourished. It was after another offseason and camp with Bennett and Smith where Bennett's play seemed to become mechanical. I think Bennett stepped up his play over the 2nd half of '08, though. Just around the time when the defense as whole began to improve. Maybe not a such a coincidence.
Old 06-06-2009   #20
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We do! It would be nice to see Dunta there with the guys but these are mandantory training sessions. I won't start to worry unless he is not there at the start of camp.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read