Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-05-2009   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default UFA CB Mark Parson a Texan?

He was signed by the Lions, but I don't see him on their roster any longer.

I got an email tip from a reader that Parson has signed with the Texans, though it's not official yet. Here's the link to my quick update on it - but there's no source online yet.

So uh... hopefully this turns out to be true or I'm going to look kind of stupid.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UFA CB Mark Parson a Texan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
So uh... hopefully this turns out to be true or I'm going to look kind of stupid.
Nah. I don't think it would make you look any more stoopid than you already do.

Thanks for the info.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's quick info revealed with attempt to give good stuff. I am ok with your efforts either way. ANy info on guy? I can't google right now.
Old 06-05-2009   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It's quick info revealed with attempt to give good stuff. I am ok with your efforts either way. ANy info on guy? I can't google right now.
I don't know a lot about him, but a guy who did a couple of guest mock drafts for my site was OVER THE MOON about him. He's apparently one of the best press corners in the country, if not the best. No flashy stats, but has a nose for the ball and was a playmaker.

Of course, there's a reason he didn't get drafted, but he's not the typical "camp body" type of UFA. He's a guy who could definitely make a team... though I'm real curious to find out what happened with him in Detroit.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-05-2009   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

interesting scouting report

(not sure if this was the same people that tipped you chris)

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com...rk_Parson/1733

Quote:
Mark Parson Scouting Report by Steve Parson
Pros: Top Man to Man press cover corner in this years draft. Shut down Ohio States Brian Robiskie to 3 catches for 8 yards.Number three in Nation in career breakups with 26.Never been beat for TD or reception over thirty yards in three years. Runs 4.38 40, 37 inch vertical very physical and excellent in run supports likes to tackle. this years biggest sleeper in draft. By the time of the combine should rise to top two cornerback prospects.
Cons: Plays in MAC conference so doesn't get as much attention as BCS players. Doesn't have as many picks because teams avoid throwing at him. Room for improvement with ball in air.
Overall: NFL ready corner primarily because of Man to Man skills and technique. Due to high demand on true shut down corners in NFL he should be one of if not the highest value corners in draft
Quote:
Rookie free agents are the main focus of the Detroit Lions. There has been some buzz about players that are being released from teams, usually for financial reasons, like Larry Foote, but many of those players are not yet available.

Detroit has brought in and even signed several rookie free agents already. I've heard the talk about Otis Wiley and Anquan Boldin's brother, but the one prospect I took notice of is cornerback Mark Parson from the Ohio University Bobcats.

Parson is a standout and arguably the most talented man-to-man cover corner coming out of school this year. He is small and fast and shows excellent technique and instincts. You can view some of the footage available on him here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYGnXm3zE_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qynoJD310W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYGnXm3zE_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On-w7Bc3EzY

Mark Parson was slotted as high as the second round in the 2009 NFL Draft, but like many players expected to get picked, he went undrafted.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-of-the-bunch

Last edited by Wolf; 06-05-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #6
Ckw

I really hope you are right. This guy really sounds like an intriguing prospect. Why did he drop so much? Just because he was in a non-BCS conference?!?
Old 06-05-2009   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
I really hope you are right. This guy really sounds like an intriguing prospect. Why did he drop so much? Just because he was in a non-BCS conference?!?

not sure, I did all kinds of searches but don't see where lions signed him or on their roster

nothing on search on www.kffl.com

watching the video, i am like... who is turning their head around looking for the ball? but also thinking.. He has never gone up against AJ (looking at the drills) and he was forcing the receiver to the sideline

1/2 full , 1/2 empty LOL

back in may
Quote:
Parson drawing notice

Cornerback Mark Parson (Ohio University) was surprised he didn't get drafted. He wasn't the only one.

"I don't want to say where we had them (on our draft board), but we were surprised they didn't get drafted, yes," Schwartz said Saturday, when asked about Parson and defensive tackle John Gill (Northwestern).

Gill was one of five undrafted free agents the Lions signed this week, while Parson -- a 5-foot-9, 186-pound prospect viewed as one of the better cover corners in this draft class -- is in camp on a tryout. Both Houston and Indianapolis brought him in for pre-draft visits, along with Detroit, and many draft analysts projected Parson as a late-round selection.

"Parson did a lot of work with Deion Sanders and we had a lot of feedback from his ("Prime U.") camp," Schwartz said. "He was a guy that the scouts had a feel for and he's done very well in this camp."
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...to-make-impact

Last edited by Wolf; 06-05-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-05-2009   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Apparently he was brought in by the Lions, but was not signed. But all the sites that report UFA signings have him with the Lions at that point - but he never officially signed.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-05-2009   #9
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Ohio University is on the quarters system. Doesn't look like he could have gone to OTA's with any team because the close of the academic year date.

June 13, Saturday
Spring quarter closing date
Annual Undergraduate Commencements
Last meal served on board plan (breakfast)
Residence halls close at 6:00 p.m.

http://www.ohio.edu/registrar/info/c...arter,_2008-09
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #10
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Well personally I like Mark Parson better than I did Brice McCain, so hopefully the Texans did pick him up.

I was shocked when Parson went undrafted.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Just in case anyone was wondering, if you go to ht.com and look at the roster...

There's a Mark Parson who's a rookie CB from Ohio.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 06-05-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: additional info
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

So if this is the guy, who was undrafted, then didn't make it with the Lions......

things that make you go.. hmmmmm

don't get me wrong, if the guy can play, bring him in & let's see if we can find a spot for him.

But there is a reason he wasn't drafted. There's a reason he didn't stick with the Lions. It just makes you wonder.
Old 06-05-2009   #13
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So if this is the guy, who was undrafted, then didn't make it with the Lions......

things that make you go.. hmmmmm

don't get me wrong, if the guy can play, bring him in & let's see if we can find a spot for him.

But there is a reason he wasn't drafted. There's a reason he didn't stick with the Lions. It just makes you wonder.
Yea, because the recent Lions teams really make you think they are good judges of players...

Either way, I'm cool with it, like the sound of him being one of the press corners in the country (taken with a pinch of salt), but can't hurt to see if he's any better than our 'best sit back 15 yards, watch them make the catch and then miss the tackle' corners from the past few years...
Old 06-05-2009   #14
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Solid looking corner.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #15
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Just in case anyone was wondering, if you go to ht.com and look at the roster...

There's a Mark Parson who's a rookie CB from Ohio.

Yeah, it wasn't there earlier today. Trust me the first thing I did was go to the official site and check the transactions and roster.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-05-2009   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Texans | Parson signed
Fri, 05 Jun 2009 15:48:10 -0700

Nick Scurfield, of HoustonTexans.com, reports the Houston Texans have signed undrafted free-agent CB Mark Parson (Ohio University). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.
http://www.kffl.com/team/18/NFL

now look at the youtube clips
Old 06-05-2009   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he was with the Lions.

I'm excited...I really liked him going into the draft
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Must spread rep to Chris
*yada yada yada*

Last edited by Wolf; 06-05-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2009   #19
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I thought he was with the Lions.

I'm excited...I really liked him going into the draft
The guy who tipped me says they never officially signed him, but only brought him in for a look. I thought he signed with'em too. /shrug

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 06-05-2009   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

May have found a clue as to why Parson remained a question mark despite his positives.

From an interview in the 2008 preseason. (Keep in mind that in his 5 years in college, he only had a total of 1 interception in 2006, 2 interceptions in 2007 and 2 in 2008.)

Quote:
Alex Khvatov: What areas of your game do you need to improve upon?

Mark Parson: I definitely need to improve on my ball skills. I dropped a lot of interceptions here and I need to make the most of my opportunities. I could definitely improve in run support a little bit as well.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read