Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2009   #1
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Talent at LB Has Texans' Bush Recalling The Good Ole Days

Quote:
During his playing days with the Houston Oilers, Frank Bush was part of the linebacking corps in Bum Phillips’ 3-4 defense—a group that included guys like Robert “Dr. Doom” Brazile, Gregg Bingham and Steve Kiner and was noted for being the NFL’s version of WWE Smackdown.

Bush is now the defensive coordinator for the Houston Texans, and although he’s working with a 4-3 defense, he’s never lost that love for the big hit. That attitude seems to be rubbing off during this second week of organized team workouts.

“(Bush) used to be a linebacker for the Houston Oilers, and that’s how he wants his defense to play,” safety Nick Ferguson said in the team’s daily OTA report Wednesday. “He doesn’t want anyone on the defense who’s not like a nasty guy. And I mean not nasty in the sense that we’re going to be taking cheap shots, but just trying to be aggressive and tougher on defense.”

The Texans already had the best young linebacker in the NFL in Demeco Ryans, and picked up USC’s Brian Cushing in the first round of this year’s draft. Ryans has taken Cushing under his wing, and both Bush and head coach Gary Kubiak have been impressed with the rookie’s progress.

Just one thing.....Bush didn't play in the Bum Phillips years, he was part of the Glanville era. I would like the defense to swarm to the ball like the Glanville teams did.

link

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!

Last edited by Brando; 06-04-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Talent at LB Has Texans' Bush Recalling The Good Ole Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Just one thing.....Bush didn't play in the Bum Phillips years, he was part of the Glanville era. I would like the defense to swarm to the ball like the Glanville teams did.

link
Gritz Blitz baby all day
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, yeah, more articles, more interviews, more of everyone saying how much better we are than last year. Same old same old about how we're gonna kick some a$$.

Well, I hope it's true, I hope we have a damn nasty mean spirited defense just like what they are talking about. But I'm getting tired of reading about the Texans instead of watching them. Now thats nothing that anyone can do anything about for another few months, but still, I'm getting antsy for some football.

I wants me some football! Now!!!!!!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Dr. Doom? What a badass nickname!! That's freaking awesome!!

It's one thing to say physical, attitude, mean-spirited, you-won't-get-an-inch-from-me type play but it's another to do and honestly...who on the Texans defense CAN be mean? I'll bet Cushing has no reservations, so that's 1. Mario 2. TJ 3, although production to match would be nice. I think Okoye stands a lot to gain from a little nasty attitude....I love Ryans but he's the furthest thing from a bringer of pain. We've got no fear inducing safety. Basically some Dline guys and Cushing are it. Sure would be nice if one of those late round safeties we accumulate develop the ability to knock someone's helmet clear into the 3rd row of seating. Hell, how hard can it be to unleash on somebody when you're getting paid AND they don't get up and try to fight you? I'd do it for free, it would probably do my mental health some good to lay the hammer down anyways....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #5
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Dr. Doom? What a badass nickname!! That's freaking awesome!!

It's one thing to say physical, attitude, mean-spirited, you-won't-get-an-inch-from-me type play but it's another to do and honestly...who on the Texans defense CAN be mean? I'll bet Cushing has no reservations, so that's 1. Mario 2. TJ 3, although production to match would be nice. I think Okoye stands a lot to gain from a little nasty attitude....I love Ryans but he's the furthest thing from a bringer of pain. We've got no fear inducing safety. Basically some Dline guys and Cushing are it. Sure would be nice if one of those late round safeties we accumulate develop the ability to knock someone's helmet clear into the 3rd row of seating.

One of the best nicknames of all-time and one of my favorite Oilers, Robert Brazile.

Old 06-04-2009   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of the best nicknames of all-time and one of my favorite Oilers, Robert Brazile.
somewhere in the back of my mind I still have this image of him running across the field, catching and hitting the ball carryer from behind and just crushing him. Robert Brazile was fast and hit like a train.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #7
Brando
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
somewhere in the back of my mind I still have this image of him running across the field, catching and hitting the ball carryer from behind and just crushing him. Robert Brazile was fast and hit like a train.
Before LT, there was Dr. Doom.

Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2009   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Note to self: never consider anything written by Dave Mundy as fact based.

Wow, swing and a miss!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

It is a straight up misjustice that Dr Doom isn't in the HOF

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/positions.html

TC said it best long time ago

Quote:
Who is pushing for more of the Luv Ya Blue-era Oilers to get into the Hall of Fame

There are a number in there already, but a case could be made for a number of other ones, such as Oiler linebacker Robert "Dr. Doom" Brazile who played for the Oilers his entire career. He is likely to get lost with Tennessee fans never seeing him play, and Houston fans knowing he will belong in Tennessee's part of the Hall.
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/02/13/s...pot-in-canton/
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yea, but the story tells much better if it was Bums team and not Glanvilles.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Before LT, there was Dr. Doom.
Brazile was LT before there was an "LT". He was like " The Lawrence Taylor BETA release".
Old 06-04-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The 'Stros Killer Bees (and they were GREAT) stood second when compared with Brazile, Bingham at LB at Bethea at DE!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Brazile 7 times Pro-Bowl, 2 times All-Pro

Bingham... not too many LBs had more than 20 Ints in their career, started all 173 games he played.

And Bethea is in the HOF!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #14
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Yeah, yeah, more articles, more interviews, more of everyone saying how much better we are than last year. Same old same old about how we're gonna kick some a$$.

Well, I hope it's true, I hope we have a damn nasty mean spirited defense just like what they are talking about. But I'm getting tired of reading about the Texans instead of watching them. Now thats nothing that anyone can do anything about for another few months, but still, I'm getting antsy for some football.

I wants me some football! Now!!!!!!
Good free agent pickups and a good draft translates into a better team but I know we have to do it on the field and not on paper. I'll be glad when the season starts too....I'm tired of watching my replays of last years games. I always go back to the Colts game in Reliant and still find myself hoping Rosencopter holds on to that ball..
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
Good free agent pickups and a good draft translates into a better team but I know we have to do it on the field and not on paper. I'll be glad when the season starts too....I'm tired of watching my replays of last years games. I always go back to the Colts game in Reliant and still find myself hoping Rosencopter holds on to that ball..
Me too

But the ending is still the same.

Atleast that game put an end to the Matt vs Sage debate.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush wasn't on the field much at all....he had a degenerative spinal column and couldn't play.

Brazile went to the Pro Bowl 7 times and was rookie of the year. Dr Doom should be in the Hall of Fame imo. Here is a post of mine from 2005...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I was a big Dr Doom fan. He was LT before LT was LT. I still think he should have more consideration for the Hall of Fame. He was one of the first 240-250 stand up edge rushing linebackers with great speed.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #17
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I might be in the minority here, but I kinda liked the Glanville era.

My brother, being a Steeler fan, use to call Glanville a little troll!

If I recall correctly, defense was the focus as Glanville had some sort of reward program where the guys who hit the hardest in the game that week got the WW1 'dough boy' helmet as a reward.

Also, if I recall correctly, we were the most penalized team in the league as well...not that that is that good, but sure made for a lot of hustle!
Old 06-08-2009   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked the Glanville defense but couldn't understand why Glanville had the Napolian complex.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
I might be in the minority here, but I kinda liked the Glanville era.

My brother, being a Steeler fan, use to call Glanville a little troll!

If I recall correctly, defense was the focus as Glanville had some sort of reward program where the guys who hit the hardest in the game that week got the WW1 'dough boy' helmet as a reward.

Also, if I recall correctly, we were the most penalized team in the league as well...not that that is that good, but sure made for a lot of hustle!
I liked the aggressiveness of that defense, but Glanville was an asshat.
Old 06-08-2009   #20
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Call me crazy, but DeMeco Ryans, Connor Barwin, Brian Cushing, and Zach Diles/or Xavier Adibi would make a hell of a 3-4 linebacking corps.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read