Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2005   #41
dan7
Veteran

Default Rushing Yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastlyman2003
FYI Dan7, Shaun Alexander had 1,597 rushing yards, one yard shy of Curtis Martin's 1,598 rushing yards.
I disagree.....

From the Seahawks website........

www.seahawks.com/stats.aspx?SecID=38

and from the Jets website......

www.nfl.com/teams/stats/NYJ/2004/regular

Last edited by dan7; 01-28-2005 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added Link
dan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #42
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan7
I disagree.....

From the Seahawks website........

www.seahawks.com/stats.aspx?SecID=38

and from the Jets website......

www.nfl.com/teams/stats/NYJ/2004/regular
The team websites are never right, I have no idea where they get their numbers from either. The texans screwed up some of our stats too. Go to NFL's website and check out the stats. Those are official and yes Alexander lost the title by one yard to Curtis Martin.
Old 01-28-2005   #43
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

all I remember is that Alexander made a statement about being mad that on the 1 yard line the seahawks did something other than give the ball to alexander which was reported cost him a share of the rushing title.

I can't remember specifics though
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #44
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

What happened in Seatle was that in the 4th quater with about 6 minutes left and on the goalline, instead of going and giving Alxander the ball and let him tie Curtis Martin, the Seahawks went with a Matt Hasselback QB sneak, witch gave them the TD and the game to win the NFC West. Remember this was with 6 minutes left..........Holmgren (sp I know) thought that they would get the ball back and let Alexander get the title. The Falcons ended up using all the clock.

I don't understand why we would bring in Alexander......we have DD who has, in some games, been over 60% of our offense, both rushing and catching the football. He don't have that much money to spend.........Alexander would cost us a foot and an arm. We have a lot more pressing needs to tend to right now. Signing Alexander could be the worst thing to happen to us this offseason. Sign a guy who might not get more than 1,300 yards, and not improve anywhere else by signing some FA and letting be the draft be our only upgrades.........it would be a disaster for the 2005 season and our future.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #45
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
we have DD who has, in some games, been over 60% of our offense, both rushing and catching the football
That's not necessarily a good thing, I believe Fiddy has the specifics, but when DD is the focal point of our offense our win% is significantly less...Just thought I'd add that...

Last edited by D-ReK; 01-28-2005 at 11:23 PM.
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #46
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
That's not necessarily a good thing, I believe Fiddy has the specifics, but when DD is the focal point of our offense our win% is significantly less...Just though I'd add that...
Oh please lets not bring up the empty yards theory again. Just because the rest of the team couldn't step it we loss. The fact that DD had a good percentage of our offense and we loss doesn't mean jack squat.
Old 01-28-2005   #47
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Alexander and think we would be a better team if we signed him. He is very durable and very consistant. So far Dom has shown he can play at a high level only when 100% healthy....and if you are a RB in the NFL that is not going to happen all the time. I don't look for us to sign Alexander though, because I think we draft a back in the 3rd or 4th round and we pursue a WR or interior player instead of a back in FA. This is a decent year for backs in the draft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2005   #48
dan7
Veteran

Arrow 2004 NFL Rushing Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
The team websites are never right, I have no idea where they get their numbers from either. The texans screwed up some of our stats too. Go to NFL's website and check out the stats. Those are official and yes Alexander lost the title by one yard to Curtis Martin.

From the NFL website:

www.nfl.com/stats/2004/regular

I rest my case......
Old 01-29-2005   #49
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

I'm not saying that Alexander wouldn't be an improvment, but what I am saying is that before we sign him, I want to see what the Cap situation is. From what I have heard, we don't have enough money to and sign a whole lot of big time FA's.......We have 8 draft picks to sign this year and I want to bring in some decent FA's for the next couple of years. I don't want to get to a point where in two years we are restructing everybodys contracts and we are not able to sign anybody.

Besides what would we do with DD? Trade him? Let him sent on the bench?

I'm not so sure they don't Franchise Alexander.......they have been franchising Jones for the past couple of years, and I have heard that Hasselbeck doesn't sit in to well with Homlgren. He has been inconsistant. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they let those two walk and maybe even trade Koren Robinson.
Old 01-30-2005   #50
Supertex
Rookie

Domanick is a very good running back. Not only does he run well but he makes receptions for 60% of our first downs. Alexander is a waste of money. He had a good season but only because the team he had. Stick him here and he wont do ****. Now as far as a backup RB I'd go with maurice clarett who is coming off his suspension. He graduated college but got suspended 1 yr from the NFL for drugs abuse back in the day and so he will be here this year and will be cheap and runs like a champ. First however we need to work on the line, TE, and maybe another WR
Old 01-30-2005   #51
Dime
Hall of Fame

Why are we even talking about this. Alexander has no wish to come to Houston, his wish was to go to Miami. He was in hot water about filling in that position down there because he stated it publicly. Needless to say, Seahawks fans were not pleased. They have a huge cap problem coming up because even though they are like 24 million under cap, they have to huge names to sign right now and resign . One of those names is Hassleback, there are some big named others as well. He might get signed back by Seattle, but they will have to really offer him cash, and i dont think he will do it. Miami is where he is looking and we dont have the cap ourselves to sign him.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005   #52
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

I thought Miami was lookin to trade for Travis Henry?
Old 01-30-2005   #53
pv1999
Veteran

And just exactly HOW is Alexander going to help us?
Does he give us a solid running game? Or do we already have one? Does he give us a recieving threat out of the back field? OOPS got one of those too. Championship experience? No. Lockeroom Leadership? No. I'm not trying to be funny but I don't see where that would be good money spent considering our other needs.
Old 01-31-2005   #54
Chawky1
Veteran

Default He WILL NOT play for the Texans...

Nothing against your team, who I happen to enjoy watching, BUT he wants to play for a powerhouse and preferably on the east coast, and a major televised market. It just won't happen...bank on it. Your O-line and offense as a whole are not good enough...he wants to be THE star on a team full of stars who can win it all now. His priorities are:

1) MONEY
2) Fame / Limelight <- East coast teams
3) Run oriented O with good O-line ...

He runs no where near as hard as he should...he only runs hard in the red zone. He wants to be on the Monday night game, Sunday night game, or at least be the nationally televised game most Sundays. He plays for Shaun, not for the team. He is not a vocal annoying team cancer like many players, but he is only out for Shaun. I watched every single Hawks game for the last three years and will not be sorry to see him go. And given the state of your offense and line, he would not have anywhere near the production. He will not take a hit, and he slides a lot. If you added up all the times he dropped to avoid a hit he would have won the rushing title by at least a hundred yards.

- The Hawks OL is vastly superior to the Texans
- You have the better individual WR in AJ, but the Hawks win in overall depth with D Jack, K Rob, Engram, and Rice being much better than your top four. This takes pressure of the running game giving Shaun more openings.
- Hawks TE's are better...blocking and receiving
- Mack Strong is one of the top 3 blocking FB's in the league
- Hass is better than Carr at this point, though I think Carr will be better in the end..possibly overtaking Matt next year depending on your OL and weapons.

In summary...it just won't happen....bank on it.

Last edited by Chawky1; 01-31-2005 at 12:00 PM.
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005   #55
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawky1
D Jack, K Rob,
Nothing personal Im just using you as an example...

Who started this annoying trend? D Jack, K Rob, T Mac, D Rob, K Mart (ok that one is pretty funny)
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005   #56
Chawky1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Nothing personal Im just using you as an example...

Who started this annoying trend? D Jack, K Rob, T Mac, D Rob, K Mart (ok that one is pretty funny)
That is actually a good question...I just use it out of laziness, don't feel like typing out full names. Someone on the Seahawks message boards has something to the effect of ....

If Darrel Jackson is D-Jack, and Koren Robinson is K-Rob, what does that make Antonio Cochran? Heh..that always amuses me.
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005   #57
Oilers/Texans
Veteran

Domanick Davis is the man in Houston, as far as running backs go. Why is it that people don't like him? I don't understand.
Oilers/Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005   #58
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Gary Brown was the man in Houston too for a while. But that doesn't mean there's not another Eddie George out there.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005   #59
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
because he doesn't have break away speed-he broke one big one for a TD against the Titans.(they let us have)
Yeah and Portis does have breakaway speed. Both had 5 runs over 20 yards this year. And BS on the Titans let DD have that one. Fisher said it wasn't true.

Quote:
he has not proven to be durable(injuries)/his size.
Durability is a concern, but size has nothing to do with it. DD is not in any way a small NFL back

Quote:
You dont know which DD is going to be playing each game.(sometimes he hits the hole hard, sometimes he doesn't)
Or maybe you don't know which OL is going to show up. Try looking at the 180 switch in pass and run blocking from the 1st half of the season to the 2nd half.

Quote:
The fumbles! He rushed for over 1,000 but so did James Allen at one point.
Maybe thats why people want a big name RB in here?
DD had 4 fumbles on the year. At this point he is going on something like 250 carries without a fumble which is undoubtedly one of the longer active streaks. Of the RB's above him in terms of yards last season, only two had less fumbles, Martin with 2 (who fails miserably on your breakaway speed test) and Fred Taylor with 3 (who fails the durability test).

Can DD be improved upon?--absolutely. But RB is about 7th or lower on the needs list. Bet when training camp gets here DD is the lead back with a rookie big back coming in to share time.
Old 01-31-2005   #60
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers/Texans
Domanick Davis is the man in Houston, as far as running backs go. Why is it that people don't like him? I don't understand.

It isn't that people don't like DD,but if you listed the top 15 runningbacks in the league.. some would have him and some wouldn't. and as far as top 10 runningbacks... it is tough to crack that one..

DD is a solid RB, no doubt about that.. but not a gamebreaker that teams need.. Defenses don't sweat DD carrying the ball 20+ times like they do a Preist Holmes or L.T. or even a Corey Dillan
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read