Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2005   #21
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391219 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
now people dont want one of the top 5 backs in the game right now.
It's not a question of not wanting a top tier back, but in a cap age of balancing limited resources to build the best overall team. That's where tradeoffs of considerations like Porky's come in. Yes Alexander is a proven commodity but the sticker price for that safety net is twice the price tag, a shorter lifespan (and as dalemurhpy said, Alexander may not be slowing down yet, but he isn't as physical as he could be--hence the comment I made about some Seattle fans not being sad to see him go) and the resulting loss somewhere else from not having the extra money you spent. It's not just the money you spend on one player, it is money you can't spend on someone else. For example, IMO Kendall Bell plus Ronnie Brown or Kendrell Bell, Pac Man Jones plus David Baas would help the Texans more next year than just Alexander.
Old 01-27-2005   #22
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

I wouldn't mind the Texans signing him,its just that he's gonna command ALOT of money to play anywhere,BUT he's only 27. Damn,this a crazy...I just hope the Texans don't **** the cap up. Either do two things....Keep Dom and draft like a Kay-Jay Harris or some other Power back in the draft,or get someone like an Alexander....
Old 01-27-2005   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

A RBs playing career is not that long on average. So if he only has two more years its not worth it.

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-27-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005   #24
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure Alexander would be an upgrade over DD considering our o-line, and at teh price he would command, IMO it would be wasted money...

Alexander would probably rush for 1100-1250 yds here, which is the same range DD is in...Until our o-line is upgraded, I say no to top tier runners...

The only Seahawk FA I'd like to see in a Texan uni is Walter Jones...
Old 01-27-2005   #25
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default watch yourself!

Watch what you say Texanfan200001434 whatever. I too have a subscription and it was on a side page. I spent a while today looking for it, but I wouldn't place things on the board, just to get something started! The teams they had listed for Alexander where Houston, Miami, and a possible third team. When I find the link, I'll post it!
Old 01-27-2005   #26
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default under fantasy

The information about Alexander is under the fantasy section, with Mueller believing he can end up with Miami, Houston, or Tampa Bay! (Fantasy Insight: Engel's Angles: Overrated players for 2005)
Old 01-27-2005   #27
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
The information about Alexander is under the fantasy section, with Mueller believing he can end up with Miami, Houston, or Tampa Bay! (Fantasy Insight: Engel's Angles: Overrated players for 2005)
Hint Hint Fantasy Section.
Old 01-27-2005   #28
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Alexander is a finesse back. he is good in a system that will trick the defense and give him big holes and wide open spaces. He isnt a between the tackles back that will force his 4 ypc average.

he isnt what we need.. the only way we would take him is if he came cheap.. and he wont.

we are better off using a #3 or #4 pick on another young back to start grooming. Hollings isnt gonna be here after his contract expires.. if not sooner.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005   #29
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull
I keep reading these columns about Alexander being interested in Houston or Houston in him. Would you take him and let Dom go, or take your chances with another injury plagued Davis season?
I would take my chances with DD, and a rookie in the 3rd round.

Alexander is selfish, and I dont think he would produce in Houston like he did in seattle.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005   #30
fresno8
Veteran

Thumbs up

I like DD. At the midway point of the year I thought we'd need another back, but the way he played the last 6-7 games we don't need a starting back. I like Alexander, but we don't need to throw big money at him. DD had a marginal line the last 6-7 games and he put up big numbers, he didn't fumble, ran guys over and made guys miss in the open. That being said I don't think he's a 30 carry a game guy. I would like to see us draft a big back in the 3rd or 4th to help DD w/ the load. I think DD will take off w/ a better line and if he on average carries the ball between 20-25 times a game. Then we could mix in Wells (runs hard) Hollings if he's healthy or a guy we drafted. I like Wells but if we could get an upgrade over him that would be great. We'd have DD plus a power runner sharing the load. Maybe a 20/10 split or 20-15 split w/ another back on the carries. That would be great for DD and the offense. It'd keep both guys fresh and open up the passing game. We don't need a whole lot of skill guys on offense. We could use a legit #2 WR, a TE, and a bruiser at running back to split carries w/ DD. Though I'd like a legit #2 WR right now I'd like to give our guys a chance for a year to become a legit #2 WR (Gaff/Armstrong/Straling) and the only way we'll know is if our line improves. We have to fix the o-line and get a good TE. When that happens we can worry about a legit #2 WR. Though I like results fast this team is adding peices to the puzzle every year to become a contender for the long haul and the puzzle is starting to come together. Go Texans.
Old 01-27-2005   #31
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Hint Hint Fantasy Section.
Thank you AndreJ!!! This wasn't something said by the texans or alexander!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005   #32
2-DUNTA-3
Rookie

hey while we are in the process of signing alexander for too much money and getting a bunch of complaining about not getting enough yards in return..... we should trade our hole team away for moss... and then we could be in CAP H3LL!!!!!!!!!

lets build through the draft.... and just so you know Dominick Davis is a better running back then several who brought Super Bowls to their teams.
Old 01-27-2005   #33
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 615 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-DUNTA-3
hey while we are in the process of signing alexander for too much money and getting a bunch of complaining about not getting enough yards in return..... we should trade our hole team away for moss... and then we could be in CAP H3LL!!!!!!!!!

lets build through the draft.... and just so you know Dominick Davis is a better running back then several who brought Super Bowls to their teams.
I agree with you!!!!!!!!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #34
dan7
Veteran

Arrow Shaun Alexander Thoughts

Another thing to consider regarding Alexander:

This year he gained close to 1,700 yards with two Pro Bowl linemen creating holes for him; I doubt he would have the same level of success with the Texans.
Old 01-28-2005   #35
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

like all things, it would depend on the price for alexander.

While DD is the JJ moses of runningbacks.. solid ,but not spectacular. Actually at a skill position, teams want solid as in 3rd down backs, and spectacular as everyday backs. Spectacular backs IMO are ones that can take it to pay dirt anytime they touch the ball, and they dictate to a defense on what they (the defense) does. Right now defenses dictate what our offense does and that is keep the ball out of AJ's hands and make Carr dump down to DD..

With that said.. To me Rb is not our top need right now, but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade the positon
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #36
Beastlyman2003
Veteran

Default 1700 yards?

FYI Dan7, Shaun Alexander had 1,597 rushing yards, one yard shy of Curtis Martin's 1,598 rushing yards.
Beastlyman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #37
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gosh, we're fickle! I bet a lot of teams would like to have our RB situation. Dom Davis is a great back! He is balanced, has not vision and gains tough yards. When our o-line improves, he'll only get better. I say we need to focus on our lines this year and we should be talking about Walter Jones (OT) not Shaun Alexander, if the subject is Seahawks.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #38
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, I mean has "good" vision.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #39
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan
we should be talking about Walter Jones (OT) not Shaun Alexander, if the subject is Seahawks.
DING DING DING!!!!!!!
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005   #40
GeauxTexans
Rookie

Davis may not be the long term answer but Alexander is no answer at all. We do not need a "Leon" on the team, let him stay in Seattle.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read