Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-03-2009   #1
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans WR Andre Johnson thinking playoffs, Super Bowl

From the Sporting News...
this is the kind of mindset I like to hear from our leaders

Quote:
"I play this game of football for only one reason and that's to win," Johnson said Monday. "I don't play it for anything else. When you go over guys' careers, of all the former guys that have played, the first question they ask is how many Super Bowls have they won."

"So that's my goal. To win as many Super Bowls as I can before my time is up."

Johnson and Schaub often talk about their goal of making the playoffs, but Johnson said that talk is getting redundant.

"We talk about it, but it doesn't really matter if you don't put it out on the field," Johnson said. "We know what we have to do. It's not a secret. It's crazy to just keep talking about it all the time when it's not happening. It's on both of our minds and we know where we want to be."

Johnson believes the first step in reaching that goal is to get off to a better start than they did last season. The Texans started 0-4 after their schedule was rearranged by Hurricane Ike and they had to take a bye in Week 2 and play their first three games on the road.
"When you look at that I think that was the biggest thing," Johnson said. "We started off in the hole. We can't do what we did last year, 0-4 that's not a great thing."
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans WR Andre Johnson thinking playoffs, Super Bowl

I admire Johnson for his loyalty. I am glad to hear him have such a single mindset. It means he would have moved on if he didn't think the team was moving in the right direction
Old 06-03-2009   #3
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

This is my favorite part of the piece:

"As he sweats through the third week of Houston's organized practices, he's often smiling. He likes the look of the team so far and is excited about the season despite the opener being more than three months away. "

Johnson knows this team is ready to win.

Can't wait!
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

And this is partly b/c of a 28 year old OC........

We need to hold on to lil shanny as long as we can.
Old 06-03-2009   #5
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21314 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak said in his 610 interview that he doesn't expect Shanny to be around very long. I'd hate to loose him. I don't think he's the genius in the system. It's Kubiak and Shanny Sr.'s baby but he's got the blood line and I like his contrast to Kubiak. I think they are good together. Kubiak's comments got me thinking...

Lets say we loose Shanahan in the next 2 seasons. I'm looking at our staff and I'm wondering where the next successor is coming from. I believe the Texans subscribe to the Indy line of thinking that we promote from within for the most part. So, who's to follow? I know there were alot of offensive coaches in Denver that werent retained when they hired that chump McDaniels. I wonder what ever came of them? I wonder who on our staff would fill that role if Shannahan were to leave?

I assume that if we make it deep into the playoffs in the next two years we can expect him to go by by. expecially if his Dad comes back.

Oh, and Johnson is coming out of his shell. Anybody notice this?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post

I've thought about the fact that since NFL teams are going with younger and younger head coaches and the fact that he has coaching bloodlines, its very possible he could be interviewing for head coaching jobs next offseason. I guess it all depends on how well the offense does, if it gets even better I think he'll be a pretty hot candidate. Heck, even Jason Garrett got interviews with the Lions and Rams after his cowboys offense got even worse last year.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #7
BeatDaTitans
Rookie

Look I'm fifteen and live in Tennessee we have to go to the super bowl and shut up these darn Titan fans.....they are all saying that we arent even a threat we are going to beat them.....God Bless The Houston Texans...... I say if Andre is tired of losing and being a push over team then its gameover for the rest of the NFL, Steve will produce again, Andre is Andre he does what he does, We need to protect Matt Shaub and the football. And finally we could have a defense so I hope that we dont just talk bout anymore....

Last edited by BeatDaTitans; 06-03-2009 at 07:47 PM.
BeatDaTitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2009   #8
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lil Shanny will not be ready to be a HC in the next 2 seasons IMO. I think he needs at least another 4 and it wouldn't hurt to have more. That doesn't mean someone does pursue him though if we go deep in the playoffs for a couple of years straight.

As to the original topic of the article, this why AJ is one of my favorite Texans.....well that and he's a badass.
Old 06-03-2009   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatDaTitans View Post
they are all saying that we arent even a threat we are going to beat them.....
I absolutely LOVE it when I hear this kind of stuff. Not so much in the past, but last 2 seasons I loved it. Most people don't know a whole lot about the Texans, and when their team gets beaten by the Texans they really do look very sad.

I live in Tallahassee, Florida. During the 2007 season, we were playing the Dolphins and as you can imagine there are tons of Dolphins fans in the sports bar. I am the only Texans fan in the place, and there are alot of Dolphins fans talking crap to me, including my own friends. The game was on all of the big screens, and the commentary was blaring through the speakers throughout the place despite the bar having every other game on other smaller TVs. I sat front and center at the largest screen in the place and got very loud with chants of "3 and 0" when Kris Brown hit that game winning field goal. It was very fun to shut up 20+ Dolphins fans. I did, however, high tail it out of there pretty quickly as I realized that I was in a pretty vulnerable situation.

Last year there weren't a whole lot of Dolphins fans talking crap to me. Honestly, I think they have gained respect for us over the years. Eventually all teams' fans will. Until then, enjoy the crap-talking, it can make it alot more fun when the Texans win.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I absolutely LOVE it when I hear this kind of stuff. Not so much in the past, but last 2 seasons I loved it. Most people don't know a whole lot about the Texans, and when their team gets beaten by the Texans they really do look very sad.

I live in Tallahassee, Florida. During the 2007 season, we were playing the Dolphins and as you can imagine there are tons of Dolphins fans in the sports bar. I am the only Texans fan in the place, and there are alot of Dolphins fans talking crap to me, including my own friends. The game was on all of the big screens, and the commentary was blaring through the speakers throughout the place despite the bar having every other game on other smaller TVs. I sat front and center at the largest screen in the place and got very loud with chants of "3 and 0" when Kris Brown hit that game winning field goal. It was very fun to shut up 20+ Dolphins fans. I did, however, high tail it out of there pretty quickly as I realized that I was in a pretty vulnerable situation.

Last year there weren't a whole lot of Dolphins fans talking crap to me. Honestly, I think they have gained respect for us over the years. Eventually all teams' fans will. Until then, enjoy the crap-talking, it can make it alot more fun when the Texans win.
Why would any Dolphins fan talk crap during that pathetic season they had?
Old 06-03-2009   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Why would any Dolphins fan talk crap during that pathetic season they had?
Because we are the Texans. Believe it or not, everybody talks crap about the Texans. Maybe not last year, but prior to last year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #12
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Lil' Shanny and Kubiak both need to improve our performance on 3rd Down and Short and in Goal Line situations. Don't get me wrong. The current regime has done a good job putting a good offensive product on the field. They have shown the ability to move the ball and aren't afraid to try and catch a defense with their pants down. They just turn the ball over and have too many 'wtf' playcalls in critical situations. Obviously clock management hasn't been a strong suit either. I'm just saying, lets actually win some meaningful football games before we get too excited about all the preseason prognostications or worry about coaches leaving.

I remember what happened after the 7-9 year in Year 3. 4 of those 7 wins were against bad divisional foes (jags/titans) and the other wins were against a poor Raiders, poor Dolphins, and the other one was the game that the Texans defense singlehandedly won against the Steelers. Carr and the Texans had like 60 yards total offense and somehow the defense willed it to victory.

We played like crap in the games that mattered that year and that pretty much happened last year too. We won a few games but only when the season was already over and nothing to play for (and other teams with little to nothing to play for)

If we start 0-4 again like last year, Kubiak better refresh his resume because his seat would be as hot as it gets.

Back to OT, In Andre We Trust. Best professional football player in Houston since Bruce Matthews, Mike Munchak, and Ray Childress.
Old 06-03-2009   #13
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Lil' Shanny and Kubiak both need to improve our performance on 3rd Down and Short and in Goal Line situations. Don't get me wrong. The current regime has done a good job putting a good offensive product on the field. They have shown the ability to move the ball and aren't afraid to try and catch a defense with their pants down. They just turn the ball over and have too many 'wtf' playcalls in critical situations. Obviously clock management hasn't been a strong suit either. I'm just saying, lets actually win some meaningful football games before we get too excited about all the preseason prognostications or worry about coaches leaving.

I remember what happened after the 7-9 year in Year 3. 4 of those 7 wins were against bad divisional foes (jags/titans) and the other wins were against a poor Raiders, poor Dolphins, and the other one was the game that the Texans defense singlehandedly won against the Steelers. Carr and the Texans had like 60 yards total offense and somehow the defense willed it to victory.

We played like crap in the games that mattered that year and that pretty much happened last year too. We won a few games but only when the season was already over and nothing to play for (and other teams with little to nothing to play for)

If we start 0-4 again like last year, Kubiak better refresh his resume because his seat would be as hot as it gets.

Back to OT, In Andre We Trust. Best professional football player in Houston since Bruce Matthews, Mike Munchak, and Ray Childress.
The Texans seven wins in 2004 were against Kansas City, Oakland, Tennessee (twice), Jacksonville (twice), & Chicago. The Pittsburgh win was in 2002.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post

How about his...

At the time of our inaugural season I lived up in Dallas and had to listen to months of shit talking since the schedule came out and everybody saw the first game of the year was Houston vs Dallas in primetime. I got so PO'd (alot of those idiots actually thought Campo was taking them on a deep playoff run with crackhead Carter, remember that year they were like the first "hard knocks TV" team) that I just started making bets with all of them. I didn't say one word all summer, but as soon as I rolled in for work that next morning I was grinning from ear to ear and every idiot that felt the need to pop off at the mouth all summer suddenly didn't have a thing to say.

Would it have been the classy (Houston) thing to talk crap, stoop to their level, and return the favor of what I went through all summer......no, but I made a exception, because that's exactly what I did. I took a piece of their paychecks and I let them all have it for a few weeks.....some of them for the remainder of the season. (that year they only won 1 more game than we did) I wasn't that popular after that, but I didn't care I HATED LIVING IN DALLAS (I never felt comfortable there......hate that city) So I moved back where I belonged. Dallas Sucks... Most Cowboy fans (not all, because they're was a few intelligent ones) are just "snobs" who act like they have some sort of entitlement.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 06-04-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post

at the end of the day this is Kubiak's offense. I see Shanny as an interchangeable part. It wouldn't worry me to lose him, not that I'm looking for him to go anywhere.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
The Texans seven wins in 2004 were against Kansas City, Oakland, Tennessee (twice), Jacksonville (twice), & Chicago. The Pittsburgh win was in 2002.
i thought dunta played in the pittsburgh win where we only had like 50ish yards offense. was it glenn who made all those plays at DB?

Well it was a bad KC team instead of a bad Miami team and I don't remember much about the Chicago win obviously.
Old 06-04-2009   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i thought dunta played in the pittsburgh win where we only had like 50ish yards offense. was it glenn who made all those plays at DB?

Well it was a bad KC team instead of a bad Miami team and I don't remember much about the Chicago win obviously.
It was 2002 and Aaron Glenn. Set an NFL record with only 47 yards of offense (20 minutes of time of possession) in a win. Glenn made it to the pro bowl on the back of that performance. 21 of 24 points scored on three turnover returns for TD's by the D.

The Chicago win was an interesting up and down game. Doing pretty well in the coldest game of the year then the OL started giving up the ghost, Carr went into a hissy fit at the OL and then they managed to finish the game out.
Old 06-04-2009   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
It was 2002 and Aaron Glenn. Set an NFL record with only 47 yards of offense (20 minutes of time of possession) in a win. Glenn made it to the pro bowl on the back of that performance. 21 of 24 points scored on three turnover returns for TD's by the D.

The Chicago win was an interesting up and down game. Doing pretty well in the coldest game of the year then the OL started giving up the ghost, Carr went into a hissy fit at the OL and then they managed to finish the game out.
i hear ya. my memory isn't what it used to be plus I have kinda blocked that era of Texans football from my mind. almost unwatchable at times.

wasn't that pre-roethlisberger? the steelers game that is. didn't they draft Ben the following offseason after that embarassment at Heinz?
Old 06-04-2009   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
wasn't that pre-roethlisberger? the steelers game that is. didn't they draft Ben the following offseason after that embarassment at Heinz?
2004 was Ben's first season.
Old 06-04-2009   #20
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That win was so satisfying for us Pittsburgh haters. We got our butts beaten up and down the field and still won.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read