Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-02-2009   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Advertisements on practice Jerseys

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/6454428.html

We were warned that this might be coming. I noticed the texans logo on the uni's over the left pectoral area last week. This is where the AD's will be. I suppose it's a waste of energy to say I don't like it.

Go Texans I guess. ::sigh::
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Advertisements on practice Jerseys

If I thought it would keep them from raising ticket/concession prices, I'd be fine with it - it's just practice jerseys... but we know that's not the case, so I'm not crazy about it.

Meh, more I think about it - it's just practice. We talkin' 'bout practice. As long as it doesn't creep to game day, meh.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #3
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care if Texans jersey have ads. on them. It's no big deal in other major sports like soccer where you have AIG pasted on the front of Man U jerseys.
Old 06-02-2009   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
If I thought it would keep them from raising ticket/concession prices, I'd be fine with it - it's just practice jerseys... but we know that's not the case, so I'm not crazy about it.

Meh, more I think about it - it's just practice. We talkin' 'bout practice. As long as it doesn't creep to game day, meh.
I'm sure that's how it was with the Nazi's and Poland too. Meh, so long as it doesn't creep in to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I don't care if Texans jersey have ads. on them. It's no big deal in other major sports like soccer where you have AIG pasted on the front of Man U jerseys.
Did you say other major sports? What other major sports?

Last edited by barrett; 06-03-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2009   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Did you say other major sports? What other major sports?
Ever watch PGA/LPGA golf or NASCAR?
Every logo on those NASCAR coveralls or on those golf shirts represents corporately funded "real estate".

And, make no mistake, NASCAR and PGA golf are major sports.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Every logo on those NASCAR coveralls or on those golf shirts represents corporately funded "real estate".

I disagree. They may be major "games", but I'm not buying sport. Anyone that claims golf is a sport can try until they're blue in the face to explain John Daly.

Besides, I knew there was a reason I didn't watch those games.
Old 06-02-2009   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Golf and Nascar are completely different sports than Football, Baseball and Basketball. A golfer is basically an independent contractor working for himself. For the most part, golfers main source of income can be from sponsorships. I'm not that familiar with Nascar but the advertisements are huge sources of revenue to keep the team up and running.

In football/baseball/basketball they have advertisements around the stadium as supplemental income but not on the actual player. We have this conversation every year. And while I don't think practice jerseys with an advertisement on it (outside of the team, nfl or jersey logos) are that big of deal... it's a slippery slope. Once you allow that then 5 years down the road the logos get bigger. Once the league gets used to this they analyze the impact of implementing this to preseason uniforms, after that then its regular season and before too long... they turn into soccer jerseys.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2009   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I disagree. They may be major "games", but I'm not buying sport. Anyone that claims golf is a sport can try until they're blue in the face to explain John Daly.

The days of the "John Daly" type of golfers is soon to be non-existent on the PGA. Golf is slowly becoming a game/sport filled with true athletes. It may be hard to see now or believe, but within the next 10 years the majority of the top PGA professionals will be more and more like Tiger. Not in the insane golf ability sense but based on his every day practice/workout schedule. It's an extremely competive sport and Tiger's "off course" regimen has already begun to change how golfers prepare and the shape they stay in.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197817 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got an even better idea. Why don't we ask the government to substitute presidents' pictures with advertising space to give some "value" to the billions of worthless bills they are printing.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
In football/baseball/basketball they have advertisements around the stadium as supplemental income but not on the actual player.
There's plenty of advertising on players already.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with ads on game jerseys as long as they find something classier than the NFL Europe ads.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #11
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 22184 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is the way anything sports related is going. Beach Volleyball players where temporary tattoos of sponsors now. Hopefully it only goes so far as practice jerseys for the NFL. However, I would not be surprised in the future to see end zones sporting corporate logos as opposed to team logos along with the uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

I'm with you on this, I know golf is challenging in it's own way, but any activity that has uniforms that usually consist of some sort of pastel colored polo shirt and Dockers slacks...
Old 06-02-2009   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

It's simple to me. If you open the gates to it, it's over. It's only a matter of time. Anyone who thinks that it would only remain on the practice uni's is apparently blind to what's gone on in this country since, well, the assembly line was invented.

I doubt you would find many who would argue against the thinking that the NFL is different than any other sport in that it is massively poplular, hugely profitable and undeniably more consistent and stable than ANY other sport on the planet that we are plastering with ad's every day.

You can't make the comparison to NASCAR or Golf. Period. Well, you can, but it's on a whole different plain. The Product that the NFL is selling is being sold TO advertisers as well as consumers. The main market for the NFL is TV advertising. This allows the game to be compartmented as a product itself. Think of it this way... You sit down to watch a game and for 3 hours you are pitched products. The majority of that is pitching you to buy football tickets and merchandise. Some of it is to buy beer and after shave. At the same time, the NFL is pitching to the networks who pitch to advertisers to buy time.

All television based sports do this but none to the massive profit margin that the NFL does. The NFL can charge millions and millions of dollars for ads partially because it is a product in itself, so in demand that it is making more from the networks than anybody.
Old 06-02-2009   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

The biggest sport in the world advertises. It's only a matter of time before "Reliant Energy" finds its way onto our unis.

mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #14
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Not really all that surprising to me. I could care less what their shirt says during practice, as long as the game day uni's are unscathed I'm good.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #15
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

this is a slippery slope...next it will be ads on the field then on real jerseys
Old 06-03-2009   #16
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

This upsets me to be honest with you. Uniforms define sports. It's who the organization is representing. I want the jerseys to represent the product that I'm paying for which is the Houston Texans. My wardrobe is decked with Texans stuff. Almost every single thing that I wear has the Texans on it.

Do away with the throwbacks. Do away with the end zones. Fire Toro and bring out the Energizer Bunny to jumpstart our fans. Get rid of the cheerleaders and bring in the Pepto Bismol diarrehea dancing five. Ugh. This would definitely disconnect me from the Texans product that's being put on the field. This is definitely opening the floodgates. It's a mistake. They need to be telling me to buy Texans stuff. Not Viagra or Preparation H. Just Texans. It's hard enough to convince me to throw away a significant portion of my money. Why draw that back and advertise something else?

Besides, donning them on jerseys kind of is forcing the players to push a product they may not want their name behind. Maybe they simply don't like Campbell soup and prefers Progressive soup (sp?) yet Campbells is what the player has to don.

Nascar, I totally get but donning advertisements on jerseys or the field/courts is a total disconnect. Don't slap that crap on MLB, NFL, and NBA players. I love uniforms. Why make me think about going to shop at Kroger when I need to be shopping at the Go Texans store? Does not make sense to me. The advertisements around the stadium do not attract my attention but I can totally live with those.

Ugh. Bad move, Texans.

Last edited by NitroGSXR; 06-03-2009 at 01:21 AM.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #17
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
The days of the "John Daly" type of golfers is soon to be non-existent on the PGA. Golf is slowly becoming a game/sport filled with true athletes. It may be hard to see now or believe, but within the next 10 years the majority of the top PGA professionals will be more and more like Tiger. Not in the insane golf ability sense but based on his every day practice/workout schedule. It's an extremely competive sport and Tiger's "off course" regimen has already begun to change how golfers prepare and the shape they stay in.
I disagree in the fact that you can either swing a club or you cant swing a club. John Daly is also pretty much the only player in PGA history to piss away ever chance he has had and when he was "in shape," he was a great player. I wouldn't have an issue with ads on the jerseys as long as it lowered the price of the jersey.
Old 06-03-2009   #18
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
The biggest sport in the world advertises. It's only a matter of time before "Reliant Energy" finds its way onto our unis.

The biggest sport in the world is NFL football. Not because of how many tickets they sell. I know, I know, soccer sells alot of tickets. a gazillion if you will. But the NFL generates twice as much cash. The ads on the jerseys of your soccer ball teams are suplimental (much like the coca cola ads in the stadium or Reliant Energy on the stadium.) But the league has been able to maintain it's integrity because of the MASSIVE profit it generates. According to this article http://www.askmen.com/sports/busines..._business.html the NFL generates almost twice as much mulah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
I wouldn't have an issue with ads on the jerseys as long as it lowered the price of the jersey.
wow.
Old 06-03-2009   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Go Fly Emirates!

Wait, what team is that?
Old 06-03-2009   #20
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
But the league has been able to maintain it's integrity because of the MASSIVE profit it generates. According to this article http://www.askmen.com/sports/busines..._business.html the NFL generates almost twice as much mulah.
wow.
that is just one soccer league, you also have the Italian, Spanish and French to name a couple as well.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read