Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-26-2005   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default Rolle's roll in our secondary...

Sorry that i've been gone for some time, but I just needed to get away after a slight disappointing season. I'm like players, give me a couple weeks off, then back to the drawing board. ANYWAY, thought is, Antrell Rolle is going to be moved to safety, due to his size, strength, toughness, and hitting. Two other corners are ranked above him at the present time. Texans should really take a look at drafting another playmaker in the secondary 1st round, drafting a linebacker in the second round, moving Coleman back to corner, and either himself or AG to the nickle corner. We play in a conference with spread O's anyway, and both Coleman and AG are on the downside of their careers. This will give us more speed, and toughness on the field. Look at Baltimore and Pittsburgh. The 3-4 scheme needs playmakers at safety, not safety valves!!
Old 01-26-2005   #2
J-Man
Veteran

Just curious but where are you seeing two corner's rated higher than Rolle and who are they?

I haven't seen anything that indicates Jones or Rogers (or any of the others) have surpassed him on draft boards.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #3
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would prefer to take one of the top CBs (not Rolle) and leave Coleman at FS. We need to have Glenns replacement on board SOON.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Jones will likely be the top rated corner once the combine is over. He claims to run a 4.2 fourty (from what he told Mel Kiper). I think Rolle will become a Safety also.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #5
pittbull
All Pro

Default cant recall

Jones is the #1 rated corner, from WVU, and the other is the corner from, I believe Auburn? I'll do some research and get back to ya!
Old 01-26-2005   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I believe you're thinking of Carlos Rogers (#14) CB from Auburn. Brandon Browner from Oregon State, and Justin Miller from Clemson are also among the leading CB prospects. As of now I'd rank them Jones, Rogers, Rolle, Miller, and Browner.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #7
pittbull
All Pro

Default Rodgers

That's him, Thanks!.....Brain Freeeeeeeeeeze
Old 01-26-2005   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that Rolle can play S or CB is something that increases his value. Especially in Capers' 3-4, where players blitz and drop into zones from almost anywhere, he would be an ideal fit. I hope we get him.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #9
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

The thing with Rolle is that if what people say about his speed is true, he better be in the right scheme or he'll never last as a CB. That said, he could drop pretty far in the draft with other, faster CBs getting bumped up (Jones, Rogers, Miller, Jackson)

Does anyone see 5 CBs really going in the first round? Rolle could very possibly drop into the 2nd round with so many good CB prospects coming out.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #10
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2075 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

is antrel related to samari in any way?
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
The thing with Rolle is that if what people say about his speed is true, he better be in the right scheme or he'll never last as a CB. That said, he could drop pretty far in the draft with other, faster CBs getting bumped up (Jones, Rogers, Miller, Jackson)

Does anyone see 5 CBs really going in the first round? Rolle could very possibly drop into the 2nd round with so many good CB prospects coming out.
He wont last until the 2nd. He should be the first or 2nd CB off the board. If anyone drops to the 2nd, it will be Jackson, or Miller.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200241 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

With the rule changes the big physical corners who are not as quick may have problems.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #13
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

I dont believe that rolle will even fall to us and still consider him the top CB in the draft, he is a better CB than the others IMO and matches up better with the big AJ type receicer, and if I was going to take a safety, i would take TD rather than Rolle anyway.
Old 01-26-2005   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
is antrel related to samari in any way?
Samari and Antrelle are brothers.
Old 01-26-2005   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 383864 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffSoldier
I dont believe that rolle will even fall to us and still consider him the top CB in the draft, he is a better CB than the others IMO and matches up better with the big AJ type receicer, and if I was going to take a safety, i would take TD rather than Rolle anyway.
Matching Rolle against AJ would be the perfect example of why you don't need or want a "big" CB to go up against a big WR--AJ would torch him all day long. Within the 5 yard zone Rolle would have no size advantage over AJ. Outside of 5 yards AJ is considerably faster and Rolle doesn't have the reactions/closing speed to react against him.

Rolle would be a FS while Thomas Davis will be a SS--totally separate beasts.
Old 01-26-2005   #16
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

I agree, with Rolle does move to S it will be FS, not what we need. But what is with all this we need to take a CB at #13? There are so many great CBs in this draft we can still get a decent corner in the 2nd round, say Corey Webster or Marlin Jackson. I have always said its the front seven that make the defense, and look at our front seven..............
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
I agree, with Rolle does move to S it will be FS, not what we need. But what is with all this we need to take a CB at #13? There are so many great CBs in this draft we can still get a decent corner in the 2nd round, say Corey Webster or Marlin Jackson. I have always said its the front seven that make the defense, and look at our front seven..............
The what's with is that the front seven guy that may be available may not be as good as the CB that is available. Johnson is sitting at 13 then take him. I am not convinced yet there is a solid addition for the DL that is better for the 3-4 than several other players that may be available at 13 whether it be CB, WR or TE. You build a great team by adding the most talent, not just addressing the biggest need.
Old 01-27-2005   #18
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Samari and Antrelle are brothers.
no they are not related, atleast not closely like brothers or cousins. but they are both from miami.

its funny that you say antrel couldn't hold his own against aj because actually they had some very good matchups in practice in 2002. of course both players have improved since then so who knows.
Old 01-27-2005   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansCanes
no they are not related, atleast not closely like brothers or cousins. but they are both from miami.

its funny that you say antrel couldn't hold his own against aj because actually they had some very good matchups in practice in 2002. of course both players have improved since then so who knows.
You sure about that?:

Quote:
The only defensive player who has a shot is Antrel Rolle, younger brother of Titans' defensive back Samari Rolle.
Link

College DB's are allowed to play far more physically and with a lot more down-field contact than NFL DB's. Rolle's lack of speed both straight line and closing and the prohibition on contact make him a poor match-up in the NFL for AJ, IMO.
Old 01-27-2005   #20
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Matching Rolle against AJ would be the perfect example of why you don't need or want a "big" CB to go up against a big WR--AJ would torch him all day long.
I remember the Green Bay game when Glenn trailed the reciver deep and then cut right in front to pick it off. The announcers said something like Glenn loves to play against bigger recivers because it makes playing the deep ball easier.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read