Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-31-2009   #1
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Angry If Peyton Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy

Peyton Manning isn't happy with Colts management
By Chris Chase

Link

Are the wheels about to come off in Indianapolis? The Colts, models of consistency over the past decade, are going through some off-season turmoil in the wake of Tony Dungy's retirement. And Peyton Manning(notes), for one, isn't happy about it.

Offensive coordinator Tom Moore and offensive line coach Howard Mudd left the team last month in what was described as a decision based on a change to the NFL's pension plan. This sounds like a very reasonable explanation (the two men, aged 70 and 67, respectively, were able to get a lump-sum payout of $1 million as a result). Considering the circumstances, it also sounds like a convenient excuse.

With new coach Jim Caldwell trying to mold the offense into his own image, it's not too much of a stretch to think that Moore and Mudd were either nudged out or left after sensing that Caldwell's new direction might not jibe with their own ideas. This suggestion has been denied, but the mere fact that it had to be denied suggests that others are thinking the same thing too.

There are now questions about whether Moore or Mudd will return in different roles. Colts GM Bill Polian wants them back, but Clyde Christensen and Pete Metzelaars (you may remember him from Super Tecmo Bowl) have already "assumed the duties" of coordinator and line coach even though they apparently haven't been promoted.

Confused? So is Peyton Manning:

"I can't tell you what's going on. I will say I don't think it's been the most properly communicated scenario around here.

It's not a situation that I'm just thrilled about. I think the communication has been pretty poor in my opinion. Somebody says one thing, then somebody else says another thing.

I'm not sure everybody's on the same page in this building. I'm just trying to focus on playing quarterback well."

Wow, Manning doesn't usually like to cast stones at people until after he collapses in the playoffs.

Sounds like all is not well in Colts-land. It's a distressing sign for Indy fans, but news that could bring some hope to the rest of the AFC.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Peyton Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy

Manning will have entered the realm of the real world, where others have his fate in their hands. Changes on the roster, changes in his supported philosophies, changes in his head coach and other coaches..................he no longer recognizes his team................and we may neither........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is one of the most overblown stories in recent memory. Peyton's known to give a candid remark here and there, and this is ultimately about front office stuff and has nothing to do with him being happy on the field.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I think this is one of the most overblown stories in recent memory. Peyton's known to give a candid remark here and there, and this is ultimately about front office stuff and has nothing to do with him being happy on the field.
I think so too....plus Bill Polian is far too shrewd to let that team fall apart.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

He's still Peyton Manning, and he can still sling the ball around like the HoF/Pro Bowl QB that he is. I never count the Colts out with Manning behind center.

I hope this disrupts the team, though. We need every break that we can get in this division.
Old 06-01-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Peyton Manning isn't happy with Colts management
By Chris Chase

Link

Are the wheels about to come off in Indianapolis?
I certainly hope so.

Anything bad for them is very good for the Texans.

It is still very early though, and they haven't even got to training camp yet. They have a lot of time to all get on the right page.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Put me on the "Peyton Manning will never be on a bad team" bandwagon. Grumpy Peyton Manning isn't exactly a wish come true. Grumpy Peyton Manning may just want to shove ball after ball down throat after throat.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2009   #8
Polo

If a team has good QB play, they will always have a chance.

I think we can and will beat the Colts atleast once this year though.
Old 06-02-2009   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Peyton probably thinks Caldwell's changes will curve his control of the offense when he's out on the field. From everything i've heard/read about how that offense works, Moore gives peyton about 3 different formations/ plays & peyton comes to the line & picks the best 1 according to what he sees from the defense....... this isn't counting audibles. With Moore gone, Peyton's flexibility might be gone as well.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

And why would any new coach change what has worked so well for so long?
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

who knows, maybe after all the playoff failures he feels Peyton & Moore's style of offense has become somewhat predictable. They are pass heavy & i think that works against them in the playoffs b/c teams know that Peyton likes to sling it. & For all the gaudy numbers Peyton puts up year after, that offense really rolls when they are running the ball effectively.

Maybe Caldwell wants to make sure that running the ball's going to be a bigger slice of the pie & is bringing in his own guys to make sure that happens. i mean their 1st round draft pick was a guy to compliment the oft injured Joseph Addai (Donald Brown).
Old 06-02-2009   #12
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

they definitely need to run the ball better but I can't see them changing a thing as far as Peyton is concerned.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #13
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

i think it's aimed more at keeping peyton & the defense in better situations for the long term rather than changing what he does out on the field; trying to avoid a Dan Marino like situation with him.
Old 06-03-2009   #14
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Only a fool would change the Colt offense as it's currently constituted. They are simply not built to be a power-rushing team--they don't have the right linemen. Instead, they realized almost immediately what they had with Peyton and constructed an entire team (defense included) around his talents. What they do shouldn't work, but because of Manning, it hums.

Yes, they've struggled in the playoffs, but even the teams that have given them postseason fits--the Patriots, Steelers and, especially, the Chargers--they've gotten their share of wins against over the years. I see no reason for them to change their basic approach of passing to set up the run. Last year's anemic running game was an aberration for the franchise.

But, geez, it would be nice if that machine developed a few kinks.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

They've struggles in the playoffs but you know what else the Colts and Manning have done recently? Won a championship.

I checked on pro-football-reference.com and for the most part Manning has had a consistent run game (averages about 1700 yards rushing) save for last year. Not much needed to be done offensively outside of revamping the lineup. If I can remember well enough, didn't the Colts have quite a few F/A leave the Oline and an injury to Saturday last year? Enough to decimate their run to around 1200 yards total. Personally I can't imagine anyone having enough balls or just being plain stupid enough to change what Peyton can do on offense. If anything, and if I'm coaching I try to revamp the defense for them and tell Peyton Manning to draw up his own damn playbook and let him teach it to everyone.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

A one man show is not always what it seems on the surface. Yes, Manning has had a great deal of leeway in running the offense. But we will soon see if "plug ins," especially coach-wise, show us that Manning is really "The Man," or just a puppet string-attached to talented handlers. I get the feeling that this year a wrong tug or two at his strings may lead the Texans to a reversal of fortune.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 06-03-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-03-2009   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Only a fool would change the Colt offense as it's currently constituted.
And only a fool would go into a team with the 2nd most prolific offense and a suck D and fire everyone on the O staff, trade the QB away and install a new offense, but it happens.
Old 06-04-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
And only a fool would go into a team with the 2nd most prolific offense and a suck D and fire everyone on the O staff, trade the QB away and install a new offense, but it happens.
Don't forget drafting a RB in the 1st round when they already had 42 on the roster.

Boy, now that I think about it, that truly was a strange chain of events for the Broncos. I see them being the cellar dwellers in that division for the first time in quite some time.
Old 06-04-2009   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Only a fool would change the Colt offense as it's currently constituted. They are simply not built to be a power-rushing team--they don't have the right linemen. Instead, they realized almost immediately what they had with Peyton and constructed an entire team (defense included) around his talents. What they do shouldn't work, but because of Manning, it hums.

Yes, they've struggled in the playoffs, but even the teams that have given them postseason fits--the Patriots, Steelers and, especially, the Chargers--they've gotten their share of wins against over the years. I see no reason for them to change their basic approach of passing to set up the run. Last year's anemic running game was an aberration for the franchise.

But, geez, it would be nice if that machine developed a few kinks.
Yeah, but wins against those temas have been coming in the regular season which means diddly poo for the most part. They're just 1-5 in the playoffs against the 3 teams u named & really lucked up in the 1 win they do have.

Trying to change or modify an identity to become more successful isn't unprecedented. Elway finally got his rings when shanahan got to denver & began featuring the run more with TD thereby taking the pressure off of Elway a little. Hell, Just 2 years ago Mike Tomlin began making pittsburgh more of a force in the passing attack & shifting them away from the run heavy team they traditionally were under Cowher. Who knows how many rings those 80's dolphins teams would have if Shula hadn't fallen in love with Marino's arm & thought that he could just put any bum behind him.

Sometimes you have to save guys from themselves even if what they were doing prior to that was immensely successful.
Old 06-06-2009   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Peyton's RB Adai may not ever get back to previous production, even with recently revealed arthroscopic "clean out" surgery, especially if his underlying problem is that dreaded "bone on bone." The Colts may be having to rely on the hope that their 1st round pick RB Brown will pull a Slaton. I wouldn't be quite ready to bet the farm any time soon.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read