Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-30-2009   #1
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Offseason Progress Report

I don't know if this has been posted, if so mods please delete if you wish...anyways here is the Yahoo link to the Texas progress report: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,166274.

Some interesting things said about the Texans:

Quote:
I'm one of the people who will tell you that the Texans are one of the potential surprise playoff teams in '09, and that they've got a chance to for double-digits in the win column. Of course, I'm also one of the people who said that last year. I might have said it the year before, too. I can't remember.

But I'm saying it again this year, too, and I'll add this on top of it: I feel more confident about it now than I did in either of the last two years. Not because the Texans are better, necessarily, but because of the rest of the division isn't the gauntlet of football hell that it used to be.
Quote:
And Matt Schaub is a better quarterback than anyone realizes, when he's actually on the field.
Quote:
Progress: There hasn't been much in terms of personnel ... no major roster shake-ups, no major additions or subtractions. The progress here, ideally, would come from a bright young defensive coordinator, and a bit of slippage from the traditional owners of the division.

Plus 2 games. 8-8 last year, 10-6 this year.

Too early in the season but I smell a breakthrough for the Texans this upcoming season !
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Texans Offseason Progress Report

8-8 again this year and Gary K. probably will be gone in 2010.
Old 05-30-2009   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Nope, 12-4 or 11-5. We'll dominate. If the defense is fixed, that is.
Old 05-30-2009   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69728 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Nope, 12-4 or 11-5. We'll dominate. If the defense is fixed, that is.
Hell the defense can play like crap again, but as long as Houston doesn't turn the ball over and gets a little better in the redzone we'll still make the playoffs.

Defense aside.....the biggest thing that kept us from a playoff caliber season was the god awful amount of turnovers and leaving a shit load of points off the board.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #5
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hey Gary, hope that doesn't mean what I think it means
Old 05-30-2009   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Hey Gary, hope that doesn't mean what I think it means
What do you think it means?
Old 05-30-2009   #7
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What do you think it means?
You wrote that Gary K. will be gone in 2010 and I thought you ment you would be gone but then it just hit me that Gary K. is Gary Kubiak...stupid me...lol...sorry about the mix up!

Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2009   #8
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Satying on topic according to this thread I think with a new DC and with guys like Barwin and Cushing coming in to help our team we can only do better then 8-8. As stated, the Colts I expect will struggle during the season since they lost one of if not the best HC in NFL modern history, IMO, the Jags will rely on MoJo power and with Garrad's performance last year and there WRs corps weak I also expect them to have a 7-9 type of season. The Titans will sturggle because that fat lard Haynewsworth-less is gone and that should hurt there D-Line and I just don't see Collins having the same performance as he did last year. Plus we have an easy schedule and I fully expect us to make the playoffs and anything short of the playoffs will be considered horrible!
Old 05-30-2009   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You wrote that Gary K. will be gone in 2010 and I thought you ment you would be gone but then it just hit me that Gary K. is Gary Kubiak...stupid me...lol...sorry about the mix up!

Playoffs or disappoinpointment.
Old 05-30-2009   #10
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Satying on topic according to this thread I think with a new DC and with guys like Barwin and Cushing coming in to help our team we can only do better then 8-8. As stated, the Colts I expect will struggle during the season since they lost one of if not the best HC in NFL modern history, IMO, the Jags will rely on MoJo power and with Garrad's performance last year and there WRs corps weak I also expect them to have a 7-9 type of season. The Titans will sturggle because that fat lard Haynewsworth-less is gone and that should hurt there D-Line and I just don't see Collins having the same performance as he did last year. Plus we have an easy schedule and I fully expect us to make the playoffs and anything short of the playoffs will be considered horrible!
Little bit antsy are we? Don't have to post it three times.

Playoffs or Bust!
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #11
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Little bit antsy are we? Don't have to post it three times.

Playoffs or Bust!
He posted at 10:05 at the same time the server does maintenance.
Old 05-30-2009   #12
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

not going to happen we could only win 4 games and iam sure Kubes will stay
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #13
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 173167 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I wouldn't go that far.

Quote:
But I'm saying it again this year, too, and I'll add this on top of it: I feel more confident about it now than I did in either of the last two years. Not because the Texans are better, necessarily, but because of the rest of the division isn't the gauntlet of football hell that it used to be.
I don't buy this crap either...

- Dispite the disarray that seems to be the Colts coaching staff, the team only lost one offensive weapon - Harrison. And went out and got Addai some help at RB. OBTW, Manning is still orchestrating that offense. They'll still be tough.
- On paper, the Titans always seem to have some deficiency; last year it was "no #1 WR". This year its "they'll REALLY miss Haynesworth". Bullock, Vanden Bosch, Kearsh, and a fairly good secondary are all still there. And Jeffy always puts his guys in position to win. This year will be no diff.
- The Jags couldn't possibly have a repeat of the M.A.S.H.-type experience they had last year, could they? Garrard will be playing to show he's worth all that money. And did I mention that JDR is very likely coaching for his job this year. They will miss Fred Taylor more than they think but they'll still be tough.

The diff is, we are much more equipped to run through it successfully than we've ever been. Since Kubiak's been here, we've beat them all. And they know it too which means they won't play us cheap any more.

oh yeah, the Gauntlet of Football Hell is still here in the AFC South.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Are you for real? A large set back type of season and Gary stays. I have one better maybe they'll renew his contract.
Old 05-31-2009   #15
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I wouldn't go that far.

I don't buy this crap either...

- Dispite the disarray that seems to be the Colts coaching staff, the team only lost one offensive weapon - Harrison. And went out and got Addai some help at RB. OBTW, Manning is still orchestrating that offense. They'll still be tough.
- On paper, the Titans always seem to have some deficiency; last year it was "no #1 WR". This year its "they'll REALLY miss Haynesworth". Bullock, Vanden Bosch, Kearsh, and a fairly good secondary are all still there. And Jeffy always puts his guys in position to win. This year will be no diff.
- The Jags couldn't possibly have a repeat of the M.A.S.H.-type experience they had last year, could they? Garrard will be playing to show he's worth all that money. And did I mention that JDR is very likely coaching for his job this year. They will miss Fred Taylor more than they think but they'll still be tough.

The diff is, we are much more equipped to run through it successfully than we've ever been. Since Kubiak's been here, we've beat them all. And they know it too which means they won't play us cheap any more.

oh yeah, the Gauntlet of Football Hell is still here in the AFC South.
They'll be tough, welcome to the NFL! But, to think losing your HC, DC, OC, OLC won't affect the team, well, you and I will disagree. Peyton is a great QB, hell, HOF bound, yet until he can manage more then one ring in 8 season, with all of the coaching staff in place (or he parts the red sea and Goodell allows him to run from the both and then call the plays on offense, defense, special teams) it'll be a huge adjustment!

The Titan(ics)? As long a Bud Adams inflates his lungs with O2 (thus depriving a plant to survive) TN will always be the bridesmaid. Mario knocking that crutch out from underneath Collins arm and he accepts his AARP retirement, then what do they have? As bad as Carr is/was, his fetal positions were on the playing field while VY's is on the bench cause those mean ole' hillbillies "boo'd" him. Kearse (for sure) and even KVB might join are one step away from Collins in the AARP line. Can't catch if you a'int got a thrower, can't dominate the DL if your guys are resting in the whirlpool. Bullock even knows this year will probably be his last. Oh yeah, they too lost there DC to the Lions.

The Jags? David Garrard is going to do what? I really like MJD but, as your primary back? Please! We've owned them even when we've sucked! I don't see that changing this year!

I'm not saying SB but, I am saying an increase in wins for the Texans. And before you remind me that the Texans lost their DC, I might change my mind on a SB run, because RS has been shown the door! The 'best' off season move of many...
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #16
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody here think Dungy got out while the getting was good?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Since Kubiak's been here, we've beat them all.
The Texans record vs AFC South opponents (2006-2008):
Indianapolis 1-5
Tennessee 1-5
Jacksonville 4-2
Overall AFC South 6-12

The Texans have been the AFC South doormat since the start. For the Texans to become a winner, that must change. The Colts and Titans have subtracted more than they've added. There won't be a better season to turn the division record around. As my sig states below, "If not now, when?"
Old 05-31-2009   #18
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Yep!
Old 05-31-2009   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the Colts I expect will struggle during the season since they lost one of if not the best HC in NFL modern history,
Good coach but Manning had more to do with the Colts success than Dungy.
Old 05-31-2009   #20
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Texans Offseason Progress Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I think so too

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read