Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-30-2009   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The QB Wonderlic Controversy

I know.......it's the offseason, and it's difficult to find anything halfway interesting to talk about. I came across this year-old piece that lists QB Wonderlic scores. Many dispute the value of this test. This article has an interesting perspective on proportionate and inverse correlations. What's your take? [FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE]

Quote:
Drew Henson 42
Alex Smith 40
Eli Manning 39
Brian Griese 39
Charlie Frye 38
Tony Romo 37
Drew Bledsoe 36
Matt Leinart 35
Kellen Clemens 35
Aaron Rodgers 35
Tom Brady 33
Steve Young 33
Joey Harrington 32
Patrick Ramsey 32
Sage Rosenfels 32
J.P. Losman 31
Matt Schaub 31
Phillip Rivers 30
Brady Quinn 29
Rex Grossman 29
Marc Bulger 29
Matt Hasselbeck 29
Troy Aikman 29
John Elway 29
Drew Brees 28
Peyton Manning 28
Kyle Boller 27
Ryan Leaf 27
Jay Cutler 26
Kyle Orton 26
Carson Palmer 26
Akili Smith 26
Ben Roethlisberger 25
Byron Leftwich 25
Chad Pennington 25
JaMarcus Russell 24
David Carr 24
Jason Campbell 23
Tim Couch 22
Trent Dilfer 22
Brett Favre 22
Michael Vick 20
Tarvaris Jackson 19
Bruce Gradkowski 19
Derek Anderson 19
A.J. Feeley 19
Daunte Culpepper 18
Aaron Brooks 17
Vinny Testeverde 17
Vince Young 16
Steve McNair 15
Randall Cunningham 15
Dan Marino 15
Terry Bradshaw 15
David Garrard 14
Donovan McNabb 14
Marcus Vick 11
Jeff George 10
Chris Leak 8
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The QB Wonderlic Controversy

Quote:
Drew Henson 42
Alex Smith 40
Eli Manning 39
Brian Griese 39
Charlie Frye 38
Tony Romo 37
Drew Bledsoe 36
Matt Leinart 35
Kellen Clemens 35
Aaron Rodgers 35
Tom Brady 33
Steve Young 33
Joey Harrington 32
Patrick Ramsey 32
Sage Rosenfels 32
J.P. Losman 31
Matt Schaub 31 ****** I think he's smart enough , he needs to stay on the field .
Phillip Rivers 30
Brady Quinn 29
Rex Grossman 29
Marc Bulger 29
Matt Hasselbeck 29
Troy Aikman 29
John Elway 29
Drew Brees 28
Peyton Manning 28
Kyle Boller 27
Ryan Leaf 27
Jay Cutler 26
Kyle Orton 26
Carson Palmer 26
Akili Smith 26
Ben Roethlisberger 25
Byron Leftwich 25
Chad Pennington 25
JaMarcus Russell 24
David Carr 24
Jason Campbell 23
Tim Couch 22
Trent Dilfer 22
Brett Favre 22
Michael Vick 20
Tarvaris Jackson 19
Bruce Gradkowski 19
Derek Anderson 19
A.J. Feeley 19
Daunte Culpepper 18
Aaron Brooks 17
Vinny Testeverde 17
Vince Young 16
Steve McNair 15
Randall Cunningham 15
Dan Marino 15
Terry Bradshaw 15
David Garrard 14
Donovan McNabb 14
Marcus Vick 11
Jeff George 10
Chris Leak 8
I've highlighted the QBs that are proven IMO . I think that some guys majored in football since they were 12 and that explains why they aren't book smart . I also think it's about how fast you go from brain to arm and the accuracy of that decision .

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 05-30-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Generally speaking, the higher, the better. I think McNabb had a bad day, he's a smarter passer than those around him and he did get a degree at Syracuse.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #4
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I have an autographed authentic Alex Smith jersey that I'm considering placing on Ebay.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I have an autographed authentic Alex Smith jersey that I'm considering placing on Ebay.
pair it with a Carr jersey in some frame art and you would have quite the conversation piece in the gameroom.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #6
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I've highlighted the QBs that are proven IMO . I think that some guys majored in football since they were 12 and that explains why they aren't book smart . I also think it's about how fast you go from brain to arm and the accuracy of that decision .
The only for-sure fault I can find with your list is that you didn't BOLD multi-MVP, Superbowl winner Brett Favre.

...please tell me that was an oversight.
Old 05-30-2009   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
The only for-sure fault I can find with your list is that you didn't BOLD multi-MVP, Superbowl winner Brett Favre.

Left off because he's not smart enough to know when to quit.

Also thought Hasselbeck should've been bolded. While he's not elite he has proven he can get his team to the SB. I think a fair case can be made for Marc Bulger too.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-30-2009   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
What's your take?
If I ever make the hotseat on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, I'm definitely not using Jeff George or Chris Leak as one of my lifelines.
Old 05-30-2009   #9
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ooops ... I knew I'd leave off someone .

Round Dan
Old 05-30-2009   #10
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If I ever make the hotseat on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?, I'm definitely not using Jeff George or Chris Leak as one of my lifelines.
bwahahahahaha!
Old 05-30-2009   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Left off because he's not smart enough to know when to quit.

Also thought Hasselbeck should've been bolded. While he's not elite he has proven he can get his team to the SB. I think a fair case can be made for Marc Bulger too.
You can make a good arguement for those two .

Round Dan
Old 05-30-2009   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Alex Smith 40
Eli Manning 39
Drew Bledsoe 36
Matt Leinart 35
Aaron Rodgers 35
Steve Young 33
Joey Harrington 32
Patrick Ramsey 32
J.P. Losman 31
Phillip Rivers 30
Brady Quinn 29
Rex Grossman 29
Troy Aikman 29
John Elway 29
Peyton Manning 28
Kyle Boller 27
Ryan Leaf 27
Jay Cutler 26
Carson Palmer 26
Akili Smith 26
Ben Roethlisberger 25
Byron Leftwich 25
Chad Pennington 25
JaMarcus Russell 24
David Carr 24
Jason Campbell 23
Tim Couch 22
Trent Dilfer 22
Michael Vick 20
Daunte Culpepper 18
Vinny Testeverde 17
Vince Young 16
Steve McNair 15
Randall Cunningham 15
Dan Marino 15
Terry Bradshaw 15
Donovan McNabb 14
Jeff George 10

!st round picks .

HOF QBs in bold letters or soon to be IMO .

Round Dan
Old 05-30-2009   #13
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Tony Romo 37
Tom Brady 33
Matt Schaub 31 ****** I think he's smart enough , he needs to stay on the field .
Marc Bulger 29
Matt Hasselbeck 29
Drew Brees 28
Brett Favre 22
Randall Cunningham 15
David Garrard 14

Best of the QBs outside the 1st round .

HOF or maybe IMO in bold .

Round Dan
Old 05-30-2009   #14
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Alex Smith 40
Eli Manning 39
Drew Bledsoe 36
Matt Leinart 35
Aaron Rodgers 35
Steve Young 33
Joey Harrington 32
Patrick Ramsey 32
J.P. Losman 31
Phillip Rivers 30
Brady Quinn 29
Rex Grossman 29
Troy Aikman 29
John Elway 29
Peyton Manning 28
Kyle Boller 27
Ryan Leaf 27
Jay Cutler 26
Carson Palmer 26
Akili Smith 26
Ben Roethlisberger 25
Byron Leftwich 25
Chad Pennington 25
JaMarcus Russell 24
David Carr 24
Jason Campbell 23
Tim Couch 22
Trent Dilfer 22
Michael Vick 20
Daunte Culpepper 18
Vinny Testeverde 17
Vince Young 16
Steve McNair 15
Randall Cunningham 15
Dan Marino 15
Terry Bradshaw 15
Donovan McNabb 14
Jeff George 10

!st round picks .

HOF QBs in bold letters or soon to be IMO .
Alright now, this time you left Favre completely OFF the list. WTF?
Old 05-30-2009   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Alright now, this time you left Favre completely OFF the list. WTF?
Favre was a second round pick who was drafted by the Falcons . Glanville was pissed because he wanted a LB and wouldn't have anything to do with him . The GM ... I think Wolf ... went to Green Bay and traded a 1st rounder to the Falcons for Favre . Glanville showed them didn't he .

Round Dan
Old 05-30-2009   #16
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Favre was a second round pick who was drafted by the Falcons . Glanville was pissed because he wanted a LB and wouldn't have anything to do with him . The GM ... I think Wolf ... went to Green Bay and traded a 1st rounder to the Falcons for Favre . Glanville showed them didn't he .
Alright, I missed the 1st Rounder part...my bad. But, much like Demeco, Favre was a pretty good bargain for a very high 2nd rounder.
Old 05-30-2009   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Alright, I missed the 1st Rounder part...my bad. But, much like Demeco, Favre was a pretty good bargain for a very high 2nd rounder.
The funny thing about Favre is , he was a wishbone QB in highschool . His Dad was his coach and said that was the best offense for the personel they had . His dad took him to Southern Miss for an audition because he wasn't offered scholarships . The coach told his dad that they didn't need a wishbone QB , which his dad said ... he can throw , we just didn't throw much . They let Favre throw and signed him and the rest is history .

Round Dan
Old 05-30-2009   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266324 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

He also "earned" a special ed oriented teacher
degree before he scored his near-Vick Wonderlic. I think kids benefited from his final career choice.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 05-31-2009 at 09:19 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009   #19
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Some of the scores can be very misleading though. Drew Henson scored a 42, but he was 26 years old. You have gained a vast amount of knowledge as a 26 year old compared to a 21-22 year old which gives a guy like Henson an easier time on the test. Obvioulsy he's a smart guy, but he has an advantage on the test because of his age.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #20
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I know.......it's the offseason, and it's difficult to find anything halfway interesting to talk about. I came across this year-old piece that lists QB Wonderlic scores. Many dispute the value of this test. This article has an interesting perspective on proportionate and inverse correlations. What's your take? [FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE]
To me....looks like proof that the wonderlic test doesn't mean beans about how good a QB will be in the NFL.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read