Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-28-2009   #1
Rush23
Rookie

Rep Power: 73 Rush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respectedRush23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How Far Will Hester's Athleticism Take Him?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...icism-take-him

Article I wrote on Devin Hester and his role as a Wide Receiver. What are your thoughts? Do you think with time he can become a solid WR for the Bears? He definitely has shown progress considering he barely played WR in college outside of "reverses" and "gadget plays".

Feedback is appreciated
Rush23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #2
Polo

Default Re: How Far Will Hester's Athleticism Take Him?

Depends on how comitted he is. He has the ability...does he have the commitment to get better.
Old 05-28-2009   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunno, but he seems really smart.....
Old 05-28-2009   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

As a WR I don't think he'll ever get over say 750 yards in a season. Now that wouldn't be so bad for a 3rd WR I guess, especially if he could get most of those yards on some deep ball plays and get a few TD's off of that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
As a WR I don't think he'll ever get over say 750 yards in a season. Now that wouldn't be so bad for a 3rd WR I guess, especially if he could get most of those yards on some deep ball plays and get a few TD's off of that.
Yeah, like 60 receptiopns 750 yards, and a 6 TD's. That's a solid year.
Old 05-28-2009   #6
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He was only 75 yards short of that last year, in his first season to ever play WR full time and he had Orton at QB. There is no doubt in my mind he will break 750 yards if he stays healthy.
Old 05-28-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_txtech View Post
He was only 75 yards short of that last year, in his first season to ever play WR full time and he had Orton at QB. There is no doubt in my mind he will break 750 yards if he stays healthy.
That doesn't mean that he'll continue to keep getting better at WR. He will some, but I didn't see a significant improvement at all from him last season from the one before that. He looked about the same. He had more yards, but that was because they started playing him at WR from the jump last season, but he looked about the same from the way he looked the season before.

I don't ever see him being even a #2 WR, so if he can get around 750 yards and like 6 TD's per season at WR and get most of his yards on big plays, then I don't see that as being so bad.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2009   #8
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 52823 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't ever see him being even a #2 WR, so if he can get around 750 yards and like 6 TD's per season at WR and get most of his yards on big plays, then I don't see that as being so bad.
750 yards and 6 TD's is an outstanding year for a WR3.

I think that the move to bring in Cutler will make him a better WR from day 1. And I don't see how you don't think he will get better with more experience. Even guys that have played WR their entire careers and are taken in the top rounds of the draft take 2-3 years to develop into pros. Hester has only played WR 1 year full-time. Give him another season or two and I think he will be a very solid reciever.
Old 05-28-2009   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's perfectly suited to be the #3, even if his talent exceeds that. Why on earth would you make a dynamic, fear-imposing return man into a normal reciever? Balance it out, find where too much WR is and back it off so that he's got the juice to return kicks as well. 50 catches 500 yards 3 tds is nice when you aren't returning punts and kicks for td's....who knows what kind of media darling he'll be if he does that AND returns 2 tds this year...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read