Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-27-2009   #1
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Good Slaton Article

If this has been posted already Mods can please delete. Didn't see it anywhere.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6442705.html

One thing that could affect him this year is the weight gain (215 lbs!). Not sure if it will be good for him or not. I'm concerned he will lose some of that quickness they talk about in the article. We'll see.

Overall, not a bad article.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Good Slaton Article

He is bigger these days too, packing on 10 pounds or so to 215, to better deal with the NFL grind.
See I dunno if this is gonna work ?
Little Stevie Wonder is all about his quicks, his cut-and-go ability to move beyond the los and get into the second level and adding 10 pounds may compromise that all important skill/talent.
But this is a good article, Solomon is OK.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #3
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

He's at 215 now but I think he'll end up fluctuating around 210 after spending some time in the Texas heat. Dont like him putting on that much weight because his main attribute is his quickness but if he can maintain his speed then it'll be a great move. Just think its hard to maintain that type of quickness while adding 15 pounds of muscle.
Old 05-27-2009   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is pre-training camp weight. And its muscle. He'll lose some of that by the time the regular season roles around
Old 05-27-2009   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather he gets less carries & remain quicker than beef up to be stronger and carry more. If he keeps speed with size ok, but still hope his work load is reduced by "fill in the blank).
Old 05-27-2009   #6
Polo

I think that by him being short he can add a little extra weight and not have it affect him much...

I dunno how to explain my logic, but I think that taller people struggle with losing quickness more when they add muscle vs. shorter people...

Plus, I will take a little less speed if it makes him more durable....
Old 05-27-2009   #7
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
This is pre-training camp weight. And its muscle. He'll lose some of that by the time the regular season roles around
Yeah theres no way he can keep all that weight thru this Houston heat.
Old 05-27-2009   #8
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Not really concerned. From interviews looks like hes beefed up a bit more muscle, but I don't think it'll affect his speed.

Comparing like-for-like in RB's, Jones-Drew who is a similar HB plays at 205lbs - 210lbs, and is a little shorter as well, and is still a fast little guy, but has the little bit of bulk needed if gaps don't open up for him. I think that Slaton will have a bit more strength this year, and will still have that illusive one cut and go.
Old 05-27-2009   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I think that by him being short he can add a little extra weight and not have it affect him much...

I dunno how to explain my logic, but I think that taller people struggle with losing quickness more when they add muscle vs. shorter people...

Plus, I will take a little less speed if it makes him more durable....
I use to tinker with 1 Bad Boy's boost and twin carbs to get speed up to 121 mph, but sometimes I just had to set it, leave it alone and pushed the accelerator forward. As I never lost a race, I guess it was ok. Slaton may be ok at new weight but I am hoping coach does not mess too much with what we saw Steve do last season.
Old 05-27-2009   #10
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I use to tinker with 1 Bad Boy's boost and twin carbs to get speed up to 121 mph, but sometimes I just had to set it, leave it alone and pushed the accelerator forward. As I never lost a race, I guess it was ok. Slaton may be ok at new weight but I am hoping coach does not mess too much with what we saw Steve do last season.
as a 205 rookie, he held up real well.
Old 05-27-2009   #11
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

He doesn't need to put on too much weight though. There was a good article a while back about RB weight's and LT was the main guy in the article. He said that he did his best around 212 lbs and when he got up to 220 his production went down big time and he started getting hurt. A lot of RB's try to put on weight but it ends up ruining their careers.

It's good for Slaton to buff up and stay in shape, but some guys just don't need to be real big. He did great last year and he should try and stay in the kind of shape he was in last year. I'd say about 210 lbs is good for him.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

I dunno how to explain my logic, but I think that taller people struggle with losing quickness more when they add muscle vs. shorter people....
I think you have it backwards...

Taller people with longer arms and legs, with wider frames can add weight/muscle and not lose much if any athletic ability at all.

I heard Barwin on one of our local radio stations and he was talking about this. He was talking about how he expected to go to a 3-4 team as a OLB (that's basically all his agent was telling him), but since he's going to be a DE he'll work to add wieght over the year (right now he's at 256, but plans to get up to the 270 range), but with his frame he said it won't effect his play or ability. (the guy has a nice long and wide frame)

I watched Slaton in college and any WV fan will tell you one of the reasons why Slaton fell to the third round and why his production slipped from his sophmore season to his junior season is because he added weight to prepare himself for the NFL draft (wanted to boost his stock by looking more like a NFL back), but it did effect his production. (he still had nice production though)

But having said this.....I believe Slaton already said in one of the videos on the home page, that he added the weight/muscle, but plans to work himself into his correct playing weight (which is probably around 210) through training camp.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-27-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I talk about this article some in my blog post for today:

How much better can Steve Slaton be?
Old 05-27-2009   #14
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I think what we had with Slaton last season was best case scenario.

I think we're much more likely to see the likes of, "Boy, that weight Slaton put on in the offseason sure made him look more like Senior at WVU Steve Slaton than Junior at WVU Steve Slaton" or "Boy, we should have known that Slaton wouldn't hold up to another pounding like he did his rookie season. Maybe we were asking too much of him and failed when we didn't add a legitimate second (and even third) back"; than the likes of, "Boy, Steve Slaton topped his rookie season. We have a back in company with Clinton Portis and Terrell Davis"
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think what we had with Slaton last season was best case scenario.

I think we're much more likely to see the likes of, "Boy, that weight Slaton put on in the offseason sure made him look more like Senior at WVU Steve Slaton than Junior at WVU Steve Slaton" or "Boy, we should have known that Slaton wouldn't hold up to another pounding like he did his rookie season. Maybe we were asking too much of him and failed when we didn't add a legitimate second (and even third) back"; than the likes of, "Boy, Steve Slaton topped his rookie season. We have a back in company with Clinton Portis and Terrell Davis"
OTOH

Slaton's best season at WVU was when he was running behind a zone blocking system exactly like what is run by the Texans. The o-line coach copied it exactly, but then left.
Old 05-27-2009   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
OTOH

Slaton's best season at WVU was when he was running behind a zone blocking system exactly like what is run by the Texans. The o-line coach copied it exactly, but then left.
Do you know after what season they stopped using the ZBS?
Old 05-27-2009   #17
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Do you know after what season they stopped using the ZBS?
after his second year before coming to the NFL (don't remember if he came out early) i think. that was when Rodriguez left and stabbed the whole freaking state in the back.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #18
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99567 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
after his second year before coming to the NFL (don't remember if he came out early) i think. that was when Rodriguez left and stabbed the whole freaking state in the back.
Rodriguez was there througout Slaton's collegiate career.....he just bolted right before their bowl game. (Slaton's last game as a mountaineer) Bill Stewart took over and they won their bowl game...after the game he was signed to be the new head coach.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Slaton was trying to gain weight between his Soph and Junior season.

There were several factors in the production drop-off.

The O-line coach did leave the team (not the HC).
Their O-line was young.
Injury (wrist, hamstring.)
Defense keyed on him more.
(Hate to say this), but Pat White often kept the ball when he was open, and quite a few times, dumped the ball off to Steve in tough spots.
A few long runs called back.
There could be more reasons...

Tougher schedules?
http://pinfallmarks.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #20
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't think Slaton was trying to gain weight between his Soph and Junior season.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...0&sportCat=ncf
Quote:
The lack of long runs cannot be attributed to injury, according to Slaton. He says he's 100 percent and has been healthy all year (unlike last year, when injuries finally slowed him to a halt in a Gator Bowl victory over Georgia Tech).

Part of the problem could be attributed to an offensive line that's simply not as powerful as the Dan Mozes-led units of the past two years. Fewer gaping holes mean fewer chances to blow through the second and third levels of a defense.

Some speculate that the junior is slower now because he's put on weight -- probably with an eye on the NFL and the durability questions about a back of his size. Last season he said he played at 187 pounds. Right now he says he's 194.
Maybe it's the weight. Maybe it's the scheme change. Maybe it's the o-line. Maybe it's the injuries. Maybe it's all of the above.

Doesn't matter, you're picking around the point. The point is, Slaton is probably closer to having a career year his rookie season than he is to being Terrell Davis or Clinton Portis. That's no knock on Slaton, it's just really hard to be those guys and it's a lot easier for a number of things to go wrong.

Personally, I'll temper my expectations until he can do it again.

Last edited by nero THE zero; 05-27-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read