Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-26-2009   #1
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 241723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default DeMeco #6 in TSN ILB Ratings

From TSN...

Quote:
Tackles are the stat of choice for the guys who play in the middle of the field. But more and more, middle linebackers, particularly in Tampa-2 schemes, are asked to play more in coverage, so their ability to diagnose plays quickly becomes more critical. Inside linebackers generally are the smartest and most instinctive players on the defensive side of the ball.

1. Brian Urlacher, Bears
2. Patrick Willis, Niners
3. Karlos Dansby, Cardinals
4. Ray Lewis, Ravens
5. Jon Beason, Panthers

6. DeMeco Ryans, Texans. Ryans' tackle numbers have gone down in each of his three seasons, but he still is highly productive. He is great at diagnosing plays and gets to the ball quickly. He is an outstanding athlete with great range and instincts.

7. James (I ain't goin' to no stoopid White House) Farrior, Steelers
8. E. J. Henderson, Vikings
9. Barrett Rudd, Buccs
10. Kirk Morrison, Raiders
11. Antonio Pierce, Giants
12. Bart Scott, Jets
13. A. J. Hawk, Packers
14. London Fletcher, Redskins
15. D'Qwell (what kinda freakin name is that?!?) Jackson, Browns
16. Jerod (not to be confused with Col. Mustard) Mayo, Patriots
17. Nick Barnett, Packers
18. Curtis Lofton, Falcons
19. Paul Posluszny, Bills
20. Jonathan Vilma, Saints
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco #6 in TSN ILB Ratings

Harrison was the one who refused to go to the White House.
Old 05-26-2009   #3
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Barrett Ruud is THAT much better than Jerod Mayo.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I don't think Barrett Ruud is THAT much better than Jerod Mayo.
I dont think Dansby is better then Ryans. I may be biased, but i've seen both play and there is no way...pure atheleticism, ok. But not production.
Old 05-26-2009   #5
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
I dont think Dansby is better then Ryans. I may be biased, but i've seen both play and there is no way...pure atheleticism, ok. But not production.
Most media monkeys don't bother doing research. They don't know DeMeco was injured, they saw Karlos Dansby in the Super Bowl. Hell, you can't bother them to actually watch regular season games.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #6
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

ej henderson & demeco should be above beason
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe Ray Lewis is ranked that high but I don't disagree with the list overall.

I just realized, our LB corp could be Ryans - Willis - Cushing right now. Seriously. I expect a lot from Okoye this year.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-26-2009   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
ej henderson & demeco should be above beason
Umm, no. Beason has become a great player, IMO. Also, his tackle numbers are inhibited by the fact that the Panthers' official scorer credits very few assists. The Texans, on the other hand, are very generous with assisted tackle credits, which helps inflate Demeco's statistics.

I think Demeco is very good and it's kind of a silly exercise to rank him. He's better than most and I doubt that I'd trade him for more than 1 or 2 guys on that list.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Dansby is a great player! He's been limited by injuries but he does so many things well. He's good in coverage, he's a good pass rusher and blitzer, and a strong tackler with very good speed and size.
Old 05-26-2009   #10
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

demeco's tackle numbers are down because he's not the "only one" that can tackle now. dude doesn't miss alot in the open field. hard to argue with the list. like to see tackle numbers spread out amongst the defense. less tackle numbers for the D means less time on the field for the D.
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #11
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

he's a fine, fine tackler. one of the best in the biz. i'd like to have a better understanding of what's asked of him in coverage. He seems slow to cover weather it be in a zone or man situation. while I have no doubt that mentally he's very instinctive and quick in his decisions something seems less than ideal about him in coverage.

can anyone offer some better insight into his duties in coverage last year?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

[quote=barrett;1188089]he's a fine, fine tackler. one of the best in the biz. i'd like to have a better understanding of what's asked of him in coverage. He seems slow to cover weather it be in a zone or man situation. while I have no doubt that mentally he's very instinctive and quick in his decisions something seems less than ideal about him in coverage.

can anyone offer some better insight into his duties in coverage last year?[/QUOTE]

I think that is the question he kept asking Richard Smith.
Old 05-27-2009   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

I think that is the question he kept asking Richard Smith.
He never got an answer because Smith kept laughing at the word "duties"
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I can't believe Ray Lewis is ranked that high but I don't disagree with the list overall.

I just realized, our LB corp could be Ryans - Willis - Cushing right now. Seriously. I expect a lot from Okoye this year.
That hits you right in the nuts, don't it? If Okoye doesn't pick up his game, I will be pissed.
Old 05-27-2009   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Urlacher totally overrated...he didn't play that well last year and he can't protect the deep middle like he used to since he seems to have lost a step. He's only a big time player in shorter space now imo.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Urlacher totally overrated...he didn't play that well last year and he can't protect the deep middle like he used to since he seems to have lost a step. He's only a big time player in shorter space now imo.
Agreed. It seems like it's been a couple years now he's been kind of average. Possibly the season before the neck injury? Perhaps that was also the reason he wanted the new contract, because he knew his playing days were beginning to diminish?
Old 05-27-2009   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
That hits you right in the nuts, don't it? If Okoye doesn't pick up his game, I will be pissed.
stud DT is alot harder find than LB. top prospects go 1st rd. & 50% bust.

reason's he has struggled - system (Richard Smith prevent 4-3) coaching, another force inside & youth. those things are behind him now -
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #18
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

reason's he has struggled - system (Richard Smith prevent 4-3) coaching, another force inside & youth. those things are behind him now -
I hope so. He at least sounded motivated after going to the pro-bowl as a visitor.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Double post, pleae ignore.
Old 05-27-2009   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Yeah, but a stud LB who is smart and super athletic > then a project 19 year old kid with the nasty "P" word (potential). Okoye had at least 3-4 years to come into his own, if he ever would. Wilis was so NFL ready and would have been a very nice choice for us. I just think it was a huge mistake to pass him up.

I agree, Okoye was in a bad system, but he has done next to nothing. Studs may struggle in a poor system, but they don't become non-factors.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read