Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-22-2009   #1
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Where's Vick when you need him?

Another story of why I hate pit bulls and anybody with small kids should be outlawed against owning them:

According to a neighbor, one of three pit bulls in Mr. Harrison's home on Matterhorn Drive in Franklin Park got loose yesterday afternoon and attacked the child, James Harrison III. Another family member may also have been injured in the attack.

Read more: "Steelers' Harrison's son bitten by his pit bull" - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09142...xzz0GAfjxNOd&A

We've had other discussions on here about the dangers of owning pits. I'll preface my opinions by saying that I'm a big dog guy. I love German Rottweilers and can't wait to get another one once my daughter is old enough. But pit bulls are another story. That's why I don't blame Vick too much for fighting them. Now, the way he went about torturing them is deplorable. But anybody out there who thinks that pit bulls are good for anything except fighting is fooling themselves. They're just like prize race horses. They're built for two things, winning money and breeding. This is just another example of many as to why people shouldn't own pit bulls with small kids. I hope Harrison's kid is okay, and I pray to God that he's learned his leason about pit bulls.
Old 05-22-2009   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Where's Vick when you need him?

When i worked in the Texas Children's Hospital ER, I watched a few surgeries from children who had been bitten by various dogs. The worst bite was from a golden retriever. Lets not turn this into another pit bull debate. Its a sad incident that wouldn't have even made the news if it hadn't been a famous NFL player
Old 05-22-2009   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
When i worked in the Texas Children's Hospital ER, I watched a few surgeries from children who had been bitten by various dogs. The worst bite was from a golden retriever. Lets not turn this into another pit bull debate. Its a sad incident that wouldn't have even made the news if it hadn't been a famous NFL player
Thank YOU!!!
Old 05-22-2009   #4
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1064 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can understand where you're coming from, but how often do you hear of a golden retriever biting a kid versus a pit bull. I don't want to turn this into another pit bull debate, but the facts are the facts.
Old 05-22-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
I can understand where you're coming from, but how often do you hear of a golden retriever biting a kid versus a pit bull. I don't want to turn this into another pit bull debate, but the facts are the facts.
You sure seem to No one is going to argue that pit bulls aren't typically more aggressive than other dogs. Its a trait thats been bred into them. But when you read in the story that the dog "got loose" and bit the kid, that tells me a lot right there. Was this a family dog or was it for protection? Was it a pet or was it chained up outside?

If this dog was used as a defense mechanism or was being trained to fight, what can we expect? Again, no one is going to argue that pits arent more liable to be problem dogs. But there is such a strong relationship to the type of people and type of owners that are likely to have pit bulls and the way they are treated, that its difficult to ascertain how much is dog and how much is lifestyle. Why hasn't rachel ray's dog bitten her? Why haven't any of ceasar milan's many pit bulls gone crazy and killed each other or their family? Theres a lot of factors at play here, and media is a big part of it. just like the rotweiler/german shephard/doberman have all been villified in the past, its all a big circular mess
Old 05-22-2009   #6
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 13450 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

rachel ray has pitbulls?
Khari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #7
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he should have accepted that White House invite.
Old 05-22-2009   #8
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

My Fiance and I have an 8 year old half pit and half brown lab whom I love dearly. Truth is though, much as I love her I will never fully trust her. She's amazing in the sense she checks her agression well and usually grabs a toy in her mouth when we come close to rough housing to protect us in case she goes overboard. We also have a 1 year old Lab that she loves but again I only trust her so much with him when they play. My fiance gets on to me for yelling at the pit mix whe nshe gets snippy, I just worry that she'll snap like some of the other pits I've heard about.

They're like wolf mixes, might be nice dogs but if you are mistaken if you trust them 100%.

I'm not saying ban the breed but I think they should be dealt with like sex offenders. Any time an owner with one moves into the neighborhood or purchases one the entire neighborhood should be notified so they can be aware of it being there.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 05-22-2009   #10
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 11712 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

If a chihuahua (hua) had a bigger mouth, I betcha they'd take over the news. Those are angry little dogs.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
rachel ray has pitbulls?

Last edited by TEXANS84; 05-22-2009 at 05:10 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've never heard about a retriever of any kind chewing on somebody, but it seems to be almost commonplace for Pitt Bulls to do it.
I'd be all for the Steelers LBs dog spending a weekend of "training" at Vicks place because as far as I'm concerned this planet already has way too many Pitt Bulls.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
If a chihuahua (hua) had a bigger mouth, I betcha they'd take over the news. Those are angry little dogs.
I'd be angry too if I had such a little *******.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

When Harrison was asked by a doctor if it would be okay to put his son's face back together, he replied "No it's not okay! You wouldnt even be talking to me if my son was not attacked by a dog, so why are you talking to me now? You would be talking to the Cardinals if they were attacked by a dog."
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Larry Little, Rams DE, did 90 days in jail after killing another human being because he was driving drunk. How many knew that ? And Vick does 2 years for killing some vicous animals ?
Get off Vicks case and let him have another chance in the NFL people !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Larry Little, Rams DE, did 90 days in jail after killing another human being because he was driving drunk. How many knew that ? And Vick does 2 years for killing some vicous animals ?
The laws in St. Louis have since changed. Today, 90 days would simply be "foreplay." Likewise, the rules and level of enforcement in the NFL have significantly evolved from those in 1998. You can guarantee lifetime ban today for NFL betting. If you want to go back in time to the mid-60's, a "little known player" by the name of Paul Hornung was suspended for only 1 year by Pete Rozelle for "betting on NFL games and associating with gamblers." Things change with time and experience, as they should, as people try to beat the system.......and some still do.
Old 05-22-2009   #17
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Quote:
I'm with you. I made the title of the thread trying to add just a smidge of humor to a sad situation. Vick has paid his debt to society and deserves another chance. I put this in another thread, but look at Donte Stallworth right now. Where's the outrage? He got behind the wheel over the limit and killed a man. Where's all the cameras and protestors? Are the lives of dogs valued over the lives of human beings? I wonder how much time he'll get, or even if he gets any time.

(Side Note: It's Leonard Little)

I just get tired of hearing about these dogs attacking people, especially kids. When are people going to learn about the dangers of owning pit bulls?
Old 05-22-2009   #18
JPPT1974
Easter Bunnies

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guy maybe blacklisted by all NFL teams! Would surprise me if, someone took him.
Old 05-22-2009   #19
CTWade
Quack Attack

Rep Power: 14 CTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden cover

From what I understand pitbulls have surprisingly good people skills... their handlers don't want the dogs to turn on them, after all. My experience speaks to such-had a pitbull for a while, was always a calm and gentle dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ
Vick has paid his debt to society and deserves another chance.
You two can speak for yourselves. I for one hope Vick never tarnishes my beloved sport with his bloodied hands ever again. Playing in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and it's a privilege Vick lost when he killed those animals in my opinion.

Last edited by CTWade; 05-23-2009 at 01:45 AM.
CTWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Goodell made no bones about putting the NFL on notice that he would be making changes that would strengthen the NFL Personal Conduct Policy:

Quote:
"It is important that the NFL be represented consistently by outstanding people as well as great football players, coaches, and staff," Goodell said. "We hold ourselves to higher standards of responsible conduct because of what it means to be part of the National Football League. We have long had policies and programs designed to encourage responsible behavior, and this policy is a further step in ensuring that everyone who is part of the NFL meets that standard. We will continue to review the policy and modify it as warranted."

The strengthened standards apply to all NFL employees: players, coaches, officials, owners, front-office and league personnel. And Goodell emphasized in the new policy that those standards will be considerably tighter than outside the league.

"It is not enough to simply avoid being found guilty of a crime," the new policy says. "Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the league is based, and is lawful.

"Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."
As Infantrycak
Quote:
He hasn't paid the price set under the collective bargaining agreement for the gambling offenses which can be up to lifetime ban.
and I have pointed out in the Vick thread, it's not only his disgusting cruel acts that come into play in deciding application of the Conduct Policy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read