Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-21-2009   #1
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Excited about the Glove

Iíve been reading the OTA practice reports and the quotes from the players and coaches and I can tell you I am really excited about Glover Quin.

I have no idea how to pronounce his first name (a silent V), but that doesnít mean I canít get my hopes up for him.

Iím trying to be realistic, Von Hutchins made some plays last year in camp and was nothing special, but from a size, speed, hitting, attitude perspective Iím very hopeful about Quin.

I think if one of these young guys Bennett, Molden or Quin can win a starters job and get their hands on the ball regularly, our defense could make a big leap.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #2
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Excited about the Glove

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Iíve been reading the OTA practice reports and the quotes from the players and coaches and I can tell you I am really excited about Glover Quin.

I have no idea how to pronounce his first name (a silent V), but that doesnít mean I canít get my hopes up for him.

Iím trying to be realistic, Von Hutchins made some plays last year in camp and was nothing special, but from a size, speed, hitting, attitude perspective Iím very hopeful about Quin.

I think if one of these young guys Bennett, Molden or Quin can win a starters job and get their hands on the ball regularly, our defense could make a big leap.
glow-er possibly?

von hutchins was with the falcons last yr
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #3
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

His name is pronounced like four-leaf "clover" but obviously with a G in front.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
His name is pronounced like four-leaf "clover" but obviously with a G in front.
He said the V is silent
Old 05-21-2009   #5
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

i believe the quote was something to the effect of that he was playing the best of all of the rookies. this is either saying of an over achieving 4th rounder or a class full of under achievers for the rest of it.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll start to be impressed with the mid round CBs when any of them make consistent contributions on the field. This is the same hype Molden had last year and Bennett before him.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I'll start to be impressed with the mid round CBs when any of them make consistent contributions on the field. This is the same hype Molden had last year and Bennett before him.
For the record Bennett played exceptionally well his rookie season
Old 05-21-2009   #8
J. Sean Wonton
Veteran

Rep Power: 83 J. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respectedJ. Sean Wonton is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, it's offseason hype like "Amobi is ready take the next step", "Jacoby really looks like a polished receiver now", "Chris Taylor is the bomb", etc., etc.
J. Sean Wonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #9
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
For the record Bennett played exceptionally well his rookie season
Noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Sean Wonton View Post
Yeah, it's offseason hype like "Amobi is ready take the next step", "Jacoby really looks like a polished receiver now", "Chris Taylor is the bomb", etc., etc.
Didn't Kubiak say something positive about Jacoby's maturity level this offseason? I was like...WTF?!? Cool, catch some punts now with all that maturity...
Old 05-21-2009   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Noted.

Didn't Kubiak say something positive about Jacoby's maturity level this offseason? I was like...WTF?!? Cool, catch some punts now with all that maturity...
Easy, TimeKiller, don't you know that you can't catch punts unless you are mature.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

They talked about him on 1560 the other day and said that he has been making some great plays where he covers ground quick to knock down balls.
Old 05-21-2009   #12
TimeKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Easy, TimeKiller, don't you know that you can't catch punts unless you are mature.
I guess that's why my sense of humor isn't a punt returner...
Old 05-21-2009   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't keen on the pick when they announced it but sounds like he's having a good OTA so far. I remember hearing the same about Molden last year.

I will sat that they certainly have given David Gibbs some interesting pieces to work with in lieu of Dunta not being around, which judging from this OTA, isn't necessarily a bad thing. We're getting a chance to look at some of the young talent we've got on the back end of the defense.

I'm not going to go into how I feel about Dunta at this point, but if we can get Reeves' head turned around and Bennett back towards the way he played his rookie season we'll be ok at the starting spots. Now looking at Molden, whom i really would've liked to see last year, and Quinn(so far) both at least have tools to be very capable DBs.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if G love is getting a look @ back-up FS? It's possible the Texans saw him as a big CB for David Gibbs to develop but without blazing speed (like Brice) I just don't understand the selection unless he is here to develop down the road into a starting FS.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I wonder if G love is getting a look @ back-up FS? It's possible the Texans saw him as a big CB for David Gibbs to develop but without blazing speed (like Brice) I just don't understand the selection unless he is here to develop down the road into a starting FS.
I think he was brought in here to cover a certain TE that eats up our LBs and so far has been more than our safeties could handle. I know they call him a TE but he really is a slot guy, and with the retirement of Harrison, Clark should be an even bigger part of the offense than he has been in the past.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I think he was brought in here to cover a certain TE that eats up our LBs and so far has been more than our safeties could handle. I know they call him a TE but he really is a slot guy, and with the retirement of Harrison, Clark should be an even bigger part of the offense than he has been in the past.
I'm hoping for more in a 4th rd. pick than a nickle
Old 05-21-2009   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm hoping for more in a 4th rd. pick than a nickle
Sure, I hope he turns into a Hall of Famer. That being said, if he is a solid 3rd CB that contributes on special teams and makes some plays and provides solid coverage in nickel packages then it was a very good value to get him in the 4th round.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #18
hot pickle
السلام عليكم

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

theres a great highlight video of him on you tube and i was very impressed when i saw it... same with troy nolan..
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Sure, I hope he turns into a Hall of Famer. That being said, if he is a solid 3rd CB that contributes on special teams and makes some plays and provides solid coverage in nickel packages then it was a very good value to get him in the 4th round.
no doubt.

"G" love just seems to be a natural fit @ FS. who know's? he could win a starting role for this team in that capacity in year two/three, thats a possiblity. His size, hitting ability, ball skills & knack for being around the ball are apptitudes required/needed.
Old 05-21-2009   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looking at the roster as of right now the most veteran CB we have is Dunta Robinson, who nicely put, is in a contract dispute with management. Of course that can change as teams cut players and as we move towards TC.

I think the team has known for while it has needed to upgrade our CBs, but IMO didn't necessarily trust Hoke with coaching guys up. I think that might explain why we usually brought vets in and kept Petey for so long.

He doesn't have a high top end speed but is physical and can get a good jam of the line, I've only read OTAs but sounds like he has a good feel for the position. If he can do that and keep guys in front of him I think he'll be ok. Also has the size to go up and fight for the ball. in the OTA thread I think they have mentioned they might or will give hima look at FS and said he had no problem laying the wood if they asked.

NFL.com has Golver's 40 time as a 4.50 and first round pick Malcolm Jenkins at a 4.54, Vontae Davis at a 4.49. and board favorite Alphonso Smith at a 4.51. Just Sayin.

IMO if you can get a guy out the fourth round whose able to start playing nickel CB soon. You made a good pick.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read