Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2009   #1
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Just PLEASE don't run Slaton into the ground...

Quote:
A breakout rookie season changed all that for the former third-round draft pick, and cemented Slaton’s status as Houston’s starting running back. Now the Texans are waiting to see what he’ll do next—and are counting on him to be even better in 2009.

“I put some pressure on him,” coach Gary Kubiak said Tuesday. “I think he’s got to be one of the most improved players … if Steve goes and gets better our football team’s going to be better.”...

...One of those little things the Texans hope Slaton can improve on this year is his pass protection. The 5-foot-9, 203-pound player wasn’t asked to do much of that in college and his smaller stature makes it his most difficult task.

“I feel like I can do better,” he said. “I feel like that’s always something I’m going to have to work on.”....
yahoo

I'd hate to see another DDW come from this.
OzzO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just PLEASE don't run Slaton into the ground...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
yahoo

Slaton was 15th in the NFL in rushing attempts per game. I don't think we have to worry about running him into the ground. Its only in the last 3-5 years that we've really seen all this running back by committee business. He should be able to handle 20 carries a game
Old 05-20-2009   #3
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
yahoo

That also was the "Other" regime. Don't think Kubes will be that stupid.
Old 05-20-2009   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl View Post
That also was the "Other" regime. Don't think Kubes will be that stupid.
The problem is that he's so dang good at everything from explosive plays to pass protecting to pass catching. Unless we find a good short yardage back, basically the team is downgrading itself every play he's out of the game, regardless of what they are trying to do. That creates a dilemna for a coach to keep his carries limited. It's pretty hard to voluntarily put in an offensive package knowing that the player at one important position that is best equipped to handle his role is healthy but standing on the sideline.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The problem is that he's so dang good at everything from explosive plays to pass protecting to pass catching. Unless we find a good short yardage back, basically the team is downgrading itself every play he's out of the game, regardless of what they are trying to do. That creates a dilemna for a coach to keep his carries limited. It's pretty hard to voluntarily put in an offensive package knowing that the player at one important position that is best equipped to handle his role is healthy but standing on the sideline.

That's what happened last year. I'm not too sure that most realize that the Texans ran an average of 27.0 times per game..............of which 23.6 were carried by Slaton. My impression is that Kubiak is not only wanting to improve run efficiency, but also increase the number of carries per game to
30 or more. Given dalemurphy's concerns, we must identify a "complimentary" back which instills as much confidence as Slaton. And all of this, of course, hinges on Slaton staying healthy.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #6
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Yep. It's hard to take one of your best players off the field. DDW is a little different though, he was almost everything on offense. Carr was allergic to wide outs, so DDW ran the ball 30 times almost and caught 10 passes. He was the work horse.
Old 05-20-2009   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think more touches would necessarily mean more handoffs and pound it into the teeth of the big men. Slaton is most successful when he's got space to juke, though that's not to say he can't pound it. Personally, I'd like to see him on screens more or maybe line him up at the slot and run him in a reverse, just some plays to get him a little space (and maybe he gets tackled by 1 or 2 little DBs instead of 3 or 4 LBers and Dlinemen) There are so many options with such a dynamic runner. Alas, 10 carries a game won't belong to him and the 2nd and 3rd options seem much less dynamic but Slaton didn't exactly bring a hype machine with him before the season. Maybe Foster or Moats suprise this year like Slaton did last.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-20-2009   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If it happens there will be another RB that will take over.
Old 05-20-2009   #9
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
...we must identify a "complimentary" back which instills as much confidence as Slaton. And all of this, of course, hinges on Slaton staying healthy.
I'm a big fan of utilizing the FB position for more than just blocking. Finding an effective "blocker" who can also pound the ball up the middle can't be more difficult than finding a "complimentary" RB. An effective runner at the FB position now gives the defense something else to worry about when Slaten is in the game inside the 20. If I remember correctly, Jim Brown ran from the FB position and I really don't understand why the pro game got away from this aspect of the offensive game.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I'm a big fan of utilizing the FB position for more than just blocking. Finding an effective "blocker" who can also pound the ball up the middle can't be more difficult than finding a "complimentary" RB. An effective runner at the FB position now gives the defense something else to worry about when Slaten is in the game inside the 20. If I remember correctly, Jim Brown ran from the FB position and I really don't understand why the pro game got away from this aspect of the offensive game.
Tom Rathman was the perfect FB in the WCO.

I also believe June 1st is right around the corner and there may be one or two RBs out there that we will sign.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 107472 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Tom Rathman was the perfect FB in the WCO.

I also believe June 1st is right around the corner and there may be one or two RBs out there that we will sign.
I don't think June 1st means diddly this season.

There will be plenty of roster cuts come camp and pre-season though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read