Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2009   #1
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Damn you Pat Kirwan!

So Pat Kirwan was doing a chat on NFL.com answering our questions. So I decided to ask him "The Question" when it comes to the Houston Texans, and he answered it!

This is what he had to say...

Although what he says is true, I hope the Texans can prove him wrong this year!
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #2
Texsker
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Texsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Damn you Pat Kirwan!

Hopefully Pat's wrong. I do know that his team rankings are updated regularly based on a number of factors. He may be underestimating the Texans, but, to me, he's the single most knowledgeable football mind in the media today, and his opinion holds a ton of weight with me. That doesn't mean he's right, of course, but you can bet that his opinion on the Texans was well thought out and not made lightly.
Old 05-20-2009   #3
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 248675 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

he didn't do anything but state the obvious.
yes, we improved. but the other guys didn't exactly stand still. The $64,000 question is: did we leapfrog any of our division foes?

time will tell...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #4
Texsker
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Texsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
he didn't do anything but state the obvious.
yes, we improved. but the other guys didn't exactly stand still. The $64,000 question is: did we leapfrog any of our division foes?

time will tell...
The real wildcard this year in the AFC South is the Colts. They experienced a lot of turmoil over the off-season with the loss of Dungy, Moore and Mudd. It's unknown at this point to what extent those losses will affect them.
Old 05-20-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer people expecting nothing of us. I like being ranked 20+. It makes it even more humiliating for the other teams and even more exciting for us when we win
Old 05-21-2009   #6
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsker View Post
The real wildcard this year in the AFC South is the Colts. They experienced a lot of turmoil over the off-season with the loss of Dungy, Moore and Mudd. It's unknown at this point to what extent those losses will affect them.
I think this year the AFC South is full of wildcards and could be open for anyone to take. Like you said, the Colts are an unknown with the loss of their coaches, but look at the "tacks." They lost Haynesworth and their Defensive Coordinator, who went to Detroit. Jacksonville is still in turmoil from last year but could surprise if they get their running game going again.

Then there's our Texans. Out of all the teams in the division, to me, they look like the ones that could make the biggest improvement. Smith/Kubes have been slowly building the team through the Draft over the last 4 years while the Colts, "tacks" and Jags were all on top and making their runs. Last season saw the Colts and Jags slip while the "tacks" claimed the division and best record in the NFL. This season, though the Colts and "tacks" could be just "reloading" for another run, they are starting to lose key players and coaches to FA, retirement, injuries, etc... I'm looking for both to take a step or 2 back. How far back remains to be seen. How big of a step the Texans take forward remains to be seen also. Looking forward to the season getting underway!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #7
Texsker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I think this year the AFC South is full of wildcards and could be open for anyone to take. Like you said, the Colts are an unknown with the loss of their coaches, but look at the "tacks." They lost Haynesworth and their Defensive Coordinator, who went to Detroit. Jacksonville is still in turmoil from last year but could surprise if they get their running game going again.
By the way, since I posted that, it was announced that Howard Mudd and Tom Moore were re-hired by the Colts as consultants, whatever that means. I'm not sure how their roles on the team will change, if at all.
Old 05-21-2009   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsker View Post
By the way, since I posted that, it was announced that Howard Mudd and Tom Moore were re-hired by the Colts as consultants, whatever that means. I'm not sure how their roles on the team will change, if at all.
I'm sure they wont be able to be on the practice field or in the booth come game day. They'll just insure they have the same system, but wont be able to help with the on the fly adaptation.
Old 05-21-2009   #9
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I'm sure they wont be able to be on the practice field or in the booth come game day. They'll just insure they have the same system, but wont be able to help with the on the fly adaptation.

Just curious, but are there rules stating what a "consultant" can and can't do on an NFL team?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am going to drink some kool-aid.. I hope that with the new DC, it will be a HUGE difference with this team. Offensively we are fairly set at this point (slaton has to stay healthy among others).. we improve our red zone offense and we wil grind out a few more "w"'s with TD's instead of FG's ..

and yes I am stating the obvious
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101824 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as a devastating hurricane doesn't roll in here and screw up the start of the season I think we'll be fine....

As far as the Colts, we proved last season that we can play with them. We could've won both games.....and that second game should've been a blow out in our favor....(*headache* just thinking about the final moments of that game....I had "the comeback" flashbacks)

As far as the Titans, I think they played way over their heads last season....not trying to take too much from them, but they won't have the best record in the NFL this year. Plus I think the win we had over them last season will help us this season confidence wise.

All Houston has to do is stay relatively healthy and cut down on T.O.'s and they should be in pretty good shape to take that next step and make the playoffs. (talent wise I honestly believe we can go toe to toe with any team in this division...with the Colts and Titans.) They left a god awful amount of points off the board last season.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 05-22-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

20th & selecting 15th in the draft. inverse logic suggests the Texans improve better than 17 other franchises, two of which are in our own division. since Jacksonville has the most opportunity for improvement they in fact are the wildcard team in the division. Tennessee lost their defensive MVP who just killed Schaub & the Texans while Peyton lost his #1 weapon & his OL FOR THE FIRST TIME AGAINST FRANK BUSH TEXANS D IS GOING TO STRUGGLE....BIG TIME....making it much easier for our offense to outscore Peyton & Co.

No, thank you Pat for stating the obvious. for those of us who follow the NFL like a religion we know better, don't mean to add any pressure but it wouldn't surprise me if the Texans pull what the Cardinals did last season & you can throw out this meaningless ranking along with it
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #13
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
20th & selecting 15th in the draft. inverse logic suggests the Texans improve better than 17 other franchises, two of which are in our own division. since Jacksonville has the most opportunity for improvement they in fact are the wildcard team in the division. Tennessee lost their defensive MVP who just killed Schaub & the Texans while Peyton lost his #1 weapon & his OL FOR THE FIRST TIME AGAINST FRANK BUSH TEXANS D IS GOING TO STRUGGLE....BIG TIME....making it much easier for our offense to outscore Peyton & Co.

No, thank you Pat for stating the obvious. for those of us who follow the NFL like a religion we know better, don't mean to add any pressure but it wouldn't surprise me if the Texans pull what the Cardinals did last season & you can throw out this meaningless ranking along with it
Speaking of the Cards....There is an alarming statistic that shows the teams that LOSE the SB struggle to make .500 the next year. If im not mistaken the Pats beat this phenomenon by 1 game.
Old 05-22-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest, we were one tackle of Gerrard and two bone headed Sageisms away from being 4-2 in the division. With an improved defense, I see no reason why we can't at least finish 2nd in the division.

Old 05-22-2009   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just as we went 2-4 in the division last year, we could easily go 4-2 this year. Hell, last year should have been 3-3 if Sagencopter would have not happened. I think we have gotten better and for various reasons the other teams have question marks.
Old 05-22-2009   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Just as we went 2-4 in the division last year, we could easily go 4-2 this year. Hell, last year should have been 3-3 if Sagencopter would have not happened. I think we have gotten better and for various reasons the other teams have question marks.
Or Gerrard's QB draw on 4th and 7. Thats 4-2.
Old 05-22-2009   #17
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 101731 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I had almost forgot about that...... thanks for the memories..

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Just curious, but are there rules stating what a "consultant" can and can't do on an NFL team?
I don't know, but I seem to remember Gibbs getting into a little trouble when he was a "consultant" in Atlanta. Not real sure.
Old 05-22-2009   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There you go.......we are not that far away at all, especially to us fans who actually watch all the games, not some national sportswriter's take trying to cover everyone.

Oh, and thanks for the painful memory, I obviously managed to block it out.
Old 05-22-2009   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
There you go.......we are not that far away at all, especially to us fans who actually watch all the games, not some national sportswriter's take trying to cover everyone.

Oh, and thanks for the painful memory, I obviously managed to block it out.
Sadly, that was not the only run Garrard had on us. IIRC, there were a few he had that were painful. You'd think we'd go with a QB spy after the 1st run on 3rd down.

Now that I think about it, wasn't that the game when our QB spy missed the tackle? I think it was one of our LB's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read