Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-24-2005   #1
texansfan4life
Rookie

Default we need a real running back

Ok, i think the texans should draft a running back. This years draft is loaded at running back position. and if they don't draft a running back early they will be crazy. if the texans can't get derrick johnson or an impact defensive player they would be crazy not to draft or trade up for a real running back. I know D.D. is the running back now but look at what happen when he was hurt j wells is a back up running back and that it ,tony hollings is always hurt. free agent running back will be hot this yr u have the edge that will possibly leave the colts shaun alexander may lv the hawks and the bengals back want a new contract. This would put the texans in excellent positon to have the impact running back that tehy wanted when willis magahee got hurt remember D.D is the running back to take us some where deep into playoffs i want c bendson or jj arington or one off the boys from auburn
texansfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #2
texansfan4life
Rookie

Default Trade up make some nosie for cedric our new earl campbel

the texans should trade up for our new earl campbell c bendson, that way we can run the ball all day and take the conservative approcach any one been to a game know the texans like the run. why not trade up for baby earl and get what u need the rest of the draft dom likes to run run run so why not have a back that can do it D.D. failed to rush for long runs he had only one this year and it took him like week 13 to have a long run. so you people think we are weak in other areas we are but since this yr draft is set for a flood of running backs we need to get a back then after that go get what ever we need by free agent or draft

Last edited by texansfan4life; 01-24-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2005   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

There are more urgent needs than RB. I like DD and Wells. And we can get a quality back in the 4th round, like Cedric Houston from Tenn, or Clarett, J.J. Arrington from Cal, Kay-Jay Harris, and many more good backs.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #4
texansfan4life
Rookie

the texans need to trade up and get baby earl c benson they like to run the ball to much and D.D got his thousand yards but he gets hurt to much his fisrt two yrs in the league he has been out with this or that then he comes on strong when other teams have nothing to play for if u really like the texans and has been to every game like i have the texans had the lowest avg run per carry in the league. it took them 14 games to have a run over 20 yrds duh and u like DD go look at the stats per rush tell me what u think
Old 01-24-2005   #5
texansfan4life
Rookie

Default below avg in rushing get a real back it took the texans 13 weeks to have a run20 yard

if any one notice the texans where one of the lostest rushing teams per attempt last year i spoke to the caoch about this on one of his talk shows the texans fail to have a long run of more than twenty yards until like week 13 and most fans are sold old dd i must say when will you wake up and smell the coffee in regards to we need a real running back until then u and i both will be at games wondering what happen again in 05 the texans like to run the ball until we make an hionest attempt to get a real running back we will continue to loss close ball games
Old 01-24-2005   #6
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

alot of that has to due with our offensive line, they didn't get it together until later in the season.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #7
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan4life
but since this yr draft is set for a flood of running backs we need to get a back then after that go get what ever we need by free agent or draft
So let me get this straight. You are saying that since there are soooo many backs in this years draft that we need to trade away our 2nd and 3rd round picks for a chance to select Benson, instead of getting a good runner in the 3rd round?

Make some sense.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2005   #8
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Disclaimer: I had nothing to do with the starting of this thread.

I wouldnt mind that brusier out of Louisville (I think he is from Louisville) or even JJ Arrington from Cal in a later round to pair with Davis....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413120 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
the texans need to trade up and get baby earl c benson
Fine to have whatever opinion you want, but there is a snowball's chance of the Texans trading up for a RB so get ready for disappointment. Odds are good though that they take a big back on the 2nd day looking for a complimentary pounder to go with DD--see Ronnie Brown (1st round but maybe available without trading up), Eric Shelton, Kay Jay Harris, Brandon Jacobs.

Quote:
it took them 14 games to have a run over 20 yrds duh and u like DD go look at the stats per rush tell me what u think
Actually DD had a run over 20 in the 11th game and finished with 5--same number Clinton Portis finished the year with. Guess the Skins should be drafting a 1st round RB as well. As for DD's ypc, try looking what happened when the OL starting blocking--November 4.2 ypc, December 4.5.

PS--sentences are your friend.
Old 01-24-2005   #10
NoBullTexan
Veteran

RB or no, after last years debacle, I hope the Texans never trade up again!!!
Old 01-24-2005   #11
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
the texans need to trade up and get baby earl c benson they like to run the ball to much and D.D got his thousand yards but he gets hurt to much his fisrt two yrs in the league he has been out with this or that then he comes on strong when other teams have nothing to play for if u really like the texans and has been to every game like i have the texans had the lowest avg run per carry in the league. it took them 14 games to have a run over 20 yrds duh and u like DD go look at the stats per rush tell me what u think
Ok... first rule.. please use more the one period. Holy! Now, you wanna speak about how bad DD was, what have people here and all been screaming about the last 10 games, it WASNT DD, it was the O-line, I dont care if you are Portis, or whoever, if you aint got a line, you are not going anywhere. Fix the O-line first, then we will eval DD behind a line to see how he does.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #12
gwallaia

Rep Power: 84705 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm getting the feeling that Cedric Benson will still be available when the Texans select at #13. If so, the Texans should pass on him, there are more pressing needs for this team than running back.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #13
Dime
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBullTexan
RB or no, after last years debacle, I hope the Texans never trade up again!!!
Debacle?? Did I miss something? We got Robinson (I thought this was a good pick) and Babin (another good pick). What did we lose? We lost a third round right, so .. read me off a third rounder we lost that would have been a big one for our team... I dont see anyone in the entire third round I might have taken.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dime
Ok... first rule.. please use more the one period.
Come on, let’s not advise texansfan4life how to write. He’s obviously got some Faulkner-esque stream-of-consciousness thing happening. Now what he writes is a different matter.

Quote:
baby earl c benson
Cedric Benson played RB at Texas. Earl Campbell played at Texas. But Cedric is in no way the impact player that Earl was. Neither was Ricky Williams, and he was a better college player than Benson.

Quote:
he comes on strong when other teams have nothing to play for
Didn’t Domanick pickup around 150 yards rushing against the Jags when they were fighting for a WC spot?
Old 01-24-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Benson could end up being the BPA for us at #13.. if Johnson, Edwards, Rolle and Williams are gone. Brown Vs. Benson, whos better? I dunno and Ill leave it to the Texans front office to decide.. but if we picked up an RB at #13.. I wouldnt complain. Despite the fact that he isnt our biggest need.

We have made it a habit to grab some of the absolute best talent in the draft with our #1 pick, year in and year out. So.. no matter who they choose at #13.. i have faith that it will be a great player for us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #16
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Ok, i think the texans should draft a running back. This years draft is loaded at running back position. and if they don't draft a running back early they will be crazy. if the texans can't get derrick johnson or an impact defensive player they would be crazy not to draft or trade up for a real running back. I know D.D. is the running back now but look at what happen when he was hurt j wells is a back up running back and that it ,tony hollings is always hurt. free agent running back will be hot this yr u have the edge that will possibly leave the colts shaun alexander may lv the hawks and the bengals back want a new contract. This would put the texans in excellent positon to have the impact running back that tehy wanted when willis magahee got hurt remember D.D is the running back to take us some where deep into playoffs i want c bendson or jj arington or one off the boys from auburn
Oh quit your whining, I can not think of one back off the top of my head who performs at a pro-bowl level while injured. I'm sure there are a few, but I'm not up for the research right now. Despite the beginning of the season in the 1st two games where he had his fumbling prob. and about 2-3 games after that where he was injured, DD has been as good as any other back in the Leauge. Off the top of my head DD avg. over 100 yds a game and atleast 1 TD during the second half of the season. Not to mention he's been running behind a horrible O-Line and a new blocking scheme!

A new RB is the least of our troubles and to trade up to get one would be down right ludicrous! And as for J Wells goes when DD was hurt he came in and had a 100 yd rushing day and If i remember correctly we won that game, but i may be wrong.

Once again all of these stats were off the top of my head and i didn't look any up.
Old 01-24-2005   #17
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

september - 3.4 ypc
(29-99)

october - 3.2 ypc
(31-101)

november - 4.3 ypc
(28-122)

dec-jan - 4.4 ypc
(30-136)

the numbers in parenthesis is what we averaged per game in the respective months. sound like a bad running game? sure...but that was the beginning of the year.
Old 01-24-2005   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdude730
september - 3.4 ypc
(29-99)

october - 3.2 ypc
(31-101)

november - 4.3 ypc
(28-122)

dec-jan - 4.4 ypc
(30-136)

the numbers in parenthesis is what we averaged per game in the respective months. sound like a bad running game? sure...but that was the beginning of the year.

Looks to me like DD came on later in the season and the line was doing a better job of blocking. 4+ yards per carry is not to shabby.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #19
texansfan4life
Rookie

Default best backs in the league are james martuin alexander so and so on

ok people top running backs in the league- james ind , martin jets, shaun alexander hawks want me to keep going j lewis ravens c dillion pats.a green packers ok where does d.d fit in can some tell me as much as the texans rush the football d.d. will be a just that 1000 yard rusher not and exceptional back just avg
Old 01-24-2005   #20
AndreJ
All Pro

Every running back you just named is running behind probably the top 10 offensive lines in the league. You want me to continue? I think I will. How do you think Denver continues to throw random people noone has ever heard of in at RB and still get the same production. It's their O-Line!!!!! Same thing goes for Kansas City.

I believe that an O-Line makes the RB. Put any of those players you named in say Arizona or San Fransico and see what their production looks like.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read