Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-20-2009   #61
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Information from OTAs

Info I found useful/interesting:

Quote:
(on RB Chris Brown) “He’s been fine. He hasn’t had any health issues throughout the offseason. We tried to monitor some of the things he’s doing in the offseason. He won’t let us. He says, ‘No, I’m all in. I feel like I’ll be able to do it all.’ He’s held up well. We’ll see how he does.”
Quote:
(on what he’s looking for from WR Jacoby Jones this offseason) “I tell you what, knock on wood, he’s been excellent in the offseason. He’s grown up. He’s handled himself a lot better than he has in the past. He’s becoming a pro to me, so with that should come better play and more consistency. We’ll keep our fingers crossed. Hopefully, he continues to do it every day, but he’s been a very pleasant surprise throughout the offseason.”
Quote:
(on QB Dan Orlovsky in a new system) “I think he’s fine. Terminology-wise, that’s not a big change for him. I think coaching-wise, probably some of the things we’re telling him compared to what he’s done in the past is probably different, but he’s a big, talented young man. He’s just like (QB) Matt (Schaub) from a size standpoint and how he plays the game, so when you’re coaching him, it’s not like two different guys. He can get so much better. You know, it’s fun to coach a guy like that, that you see all this talent (and) that you know can get so much better as a player. And he’s got some big steps to take, but I’m excited about his direction.”
Quote:
(on DE Antonio Smith’s injury) “He’s had a hamstring issue for about the last two weeks, and instead of pushing him through this—we thought he might do something yesterday, but watching him work, to me it didn’t look like he was doing a lot.”

(on G Chester Pitts) “Chester had his elbows cleaned out. He had one elbow one week and the other elbow the following week, so he’s pre-cautioned. He probably will not work much at all in the OTAs – if any, there at the end. (DT) Travis (Johnson) was doing fine throughout the offseason. Last week, he started on a few different things, so he’s got to catch up physically before we let him on the field.

(on DT Amobi Okoye) “He’s been fine. He was good yesterday. He has a quad problem, actually, that has given his knee some soreness, and we feel like we’re on top of that. He’s had a good offseason, so unless he’s telling you something he doesn’t tell me, I think he’s OK.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5292
Old 05-20-2009   #62
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

In regards to our LB crew, presently I see 10 guys on the roster. I think we normally suit up 6, right? Here's how I see it ending up.

X. Adibi - WILL
K. Bentley - Backup (can play all 3, but mainly SAM)
K. Coley - Still like this guy
B. Cushing - SAM
B. Davis - Hasn't proven much in the NFL
Z. Diles - Backup (can play all 3)
C. June - Backup (can play all 3)
D. Ryans - MIKE
C. Thompson - Hurt most of last season
T. Verdell - Ummkay

Red = Cut
Blue = PS
Old 05-20-2009   #63
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

That's about the 3rd or 4th gushing by Kubiak on Orlovsky.

Makes me wonder if he's trying to say, HEY LOOK he's a decent player or, HEY MATT LOOK he's a decent player?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #64
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

This doesn't deserve its own thread, so I'll post it here - Rotoworld is trying to scare the hell out of Texans fans - they posted a story about Mario having an injured hamstring, when in reality - in the SAME story they link to - it was Antonio Smith's injury that Kubes was talking about. They didn't read the story carefully, and the result was a false report that Mario Williams has been dealing with a hamstring problem.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=3636

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #65
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
This doesn't deserve its own thread, so I'll post it here - Rotoworld is trying to scare the hell out of Texans fans - they posted a story about Mario having an injured hamstring, when in reality - in the SAME story they link to - it was Antonio Smith's injury that Kubes was talking about. They didn't read the story carefully, and the result was a false report that Mario Williams has been dealing with a hamstring problem.

Those lousy punks...why I oughtta....
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #66
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Makes me wonder if he's trying to say, HEY LOOK he's a decent player or, HEY MATT LOOK he's a decent player?
Has he called him 1b to Matt's 1a as he did Sage?

I think Kubiak likes to pump up his backup QB and therefore wouldn't read much into this.
Old 05-20-2009   #67
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Has he called him 1b to Matt's 1a as he did Sage?

I think Kubiak likes to pump up his backup QB and therefore wouldn't read much into this.
Maybe because Kubes used to be one?

Old 05-20-2009   #68
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

I think it's an open invitation to form a Dan O for president club.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #69
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
This is jmo, but I think I see Kubiak starting the same trend that Denver used while he was there.

Denver was known for making RB's look better than they were, and trading them for draft picks or defensive studs.

I think Kubiak will try to do the same thing with QB's. That seems to be his strong suit. I think picking up undervalued backups, letting them put up good numbers, and then baiting 2nd 3rd 4th rounders out of them could be a good method to building a real real solid D.
In that case, Schaub is our perfect #1 guy. He gets injured often enough to let the backup QBs shine
Old 05-20-2009   #70
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I read that too and knew it was a screw up. They also mentioned Barwin will be taking more reps due to the injury. LOL, talking about screwing the pooch
Old 05-20-2009   #71
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is not worried. If we can get a 2nd round pick for O we almost paid off the two seconds we gave for Matt. In about 2-3 years Minnesota should be ready for another trade.
Old 05-20-2009   #72
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I read that too and knew it was a screw up. They also mentioned Barwin will be taking more reps due to the injury. LOL, talking about screwing the pooch
Barwin = not graduated = not at OTA's.

Or am I wrong there.....
Old 05-20-2009   #73
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Barwin = not graduated = not at OTA's.

Or am I wrong there.....
Yeah, that was HOU-TEX's point. They not only botched the Mario thing, they botched it by saying Barwin would get increased reps.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #74
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Yeah, that was HOU-TEX's point. They not only botched the Mario thing, they botched it by saying Barwin would get increased reps.
I thought that was the case.

Another outstanding example of internet journalism gone awry.

In other news, Houston Texans QB Vince Young looks to have recovered from his aggravated hamstring and has looked great in OTA's but is leaving few reps for backup QB Jeff George.

Wow, making up stuff is easy. Maybe I can be an internet journalist, too.
Old 05-20-2009   #75
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Schaub is not worried. If we can get a 2nd round pick for O we almost paid off the two seconds we gave for Matt. In about 2-3 years Minnesota should be ready for another trade.
That's taking for granted that Schaub maintains a standing position all season. If Schaub ends up with a cheerleader uniform, we better have a descent 2nd option that can develop into a #1, because you are unlikely to sell anyone on the idea that "Schaub is really durable........................just wait, you'll see...........next year."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #76
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
That's taking for granted that Schaub maintains a standing position all season. If Schaub ends up with a cheerleader uniform, we better have a descent 2nd option that can develop into a #1, because you are unlikely to sell anyone on the idea that "Schaub is really durable........................just wait, you'll see...........next year."
You have evidently forgotten about Alex Brink our star in waiting.
Old 05-20-2009   #77
gtexan02
Working?

Good stuff for today:

Glover Quinn Impresses:
Quote:
Glover catches on: Fourth-round draft pick Glover Quin showed playmaking potential when he picked off a pass in practice for the second consecutive day. Quin has been getting a fair amount of reps as a backup with Dunta Robinson and Antwaun Molden unavailable to play.
"He’s a big, thick, good-looking kid. He moves around well. From the tape, we know he’s not afraid to hit. So we’re encouraged by him.”
Could play Safety:
Quote:
(on if Quin could play safety) “There’s a possibility. We have plans for him on the edge right now. He’s going to do some stuff in the slot and nickel, but there’s always a possibility at safety. He’s built that way, anyway.”

From Glover Quinn(on safeties being required to hit) “Oh, I’ll hit. That’s one thing I will do.”
Travis has a hurt pelvis
Quote:
“You know, he was having a good offseason,” Kubiak said. “Like I said yesterday, everything was going fine, and it got time to go back to work and he’s got some issues bothering him: a hamstring, I think his pelvic region, his knee was sore. So we’ll do everything we can to get Travis healthy before we get him out here.”

Slaton bulked up
Quote:
To help him carry the load, Slaton has gained about nine pounds of muscle.

"You know, I had a little problem with third-and-short, and that’ll hopefully help me move a little bit more pile," Slaton said.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5296
Old 05-20-2009   #78
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Good stuff for today:

Glover Quinn Impresses:

Could play Safety:

Travis has a hurt pelvis

Slaton bulked up

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5296

Is molden still hurting from his ankle injury?
Old 05-20-2009   #79
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Information from OTAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I have to wonder how much BB actually knows about football. She probably was hired for her looks more than her ability to break down the cover 2 defense.
Unlike other people who happened to get hired coincidentally after being paid to go to bars in lingerie (and apparently have some kind of journalism background), Brooke has a solid background in both sports and journalism going back to at least her college days.

She may not be able to draw up a scheme, but I can't, either.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009   #80
drewmar74
disgruntled

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee_in_tx View Post
unlike other people who happened to get hired coincidentally after being paid to go to bars in lingerie, brooke has a solid background in both sports and journalism going back to at least her college days.

She may not be able to draw up a scheme, but i can't, either.
wth?!?!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read