Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2009   #21
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Information from OTAs

Saw this at the end of the OTA report....
Quote:
New blood: On Monday, the Texans signed strong safety John Busing, who spent four years with the Cincinnati Bengals, and guard Adrian Jones, a sixth-year pro.
anyone know anything about these latest acquisitions?
Camp fodder?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #22
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw a few guys in the video I don't remember being announced as signings. Are those two the only signings?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #23
Texsker
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Texsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I have to wonder how much BB actually knows about football. She probably was hired for her looks more than her ability to break down the cover 2 defense.
That's not really fair. In watching her interviews with players and reading her chats and articles, it's clear that she has a relatively advanced understanding of the game. If she weren't female, I doubt anyone would be raising these issues.
Old 05-19-2009   #24
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 84240 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Love this pic:

Cushing:

Then there is this dork, the sign isn't really going to help his cause:

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #25
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

im excited to hear about jacoby growing up. heres hoping it transfers onto the field
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #26
Polo

Antonio Smith is injured?
Old 05-19-2009   #27
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Antonio Smith is injured?
Meh, just a hammy
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2009   #28
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsker View Post
That's not really fair. In watching her interviews with players and reading her chats and articles, it's clear that she has a relatively advanced understanding of the game. If she weren't female, I doubt anyone would be raising these issues.
You can't pull the sexist card around here with Texans_Chick around.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #29
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsker View Post
Yea, I don't buy that.

To be honest, she isn't very good at the reports or the analysis IMO. She makes all of the videos awkward from the outset with her "Hi Texans Fanssss" bit in the beginning of every video. Her analysis is pretty "well duh" IMO.

I mean I like her because she is a Texans fan, but other than that I don't really see how she got that job.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #30
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Yea, I don't buy that.

To be honest, she isn't very good at the reports or the analysis IMO. She makes all of the videos awkward from the outset with her "Hi Texans Fanssss" bit in the beginning of every video. Her analysis is pretty "well duh" IMO.

I mean I like her because she is a Texans fan, but other than that I don't really see how she got that job.
I think there is some truth to women having generally less understanding of football than some men. It actually has nothing to do with sexism. I just think that people that played organized football have the potential to understand it better. And, not many girls play organized football- certainly not into high school (Helen Hunt not withstanding).
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #31
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I think there is some truth to women having generally less understanding of football than some men. It actually has nothing to do with sexism. I just think that people that played organized football have the potential to understand it better. And, not many girls play organized football- certainly not into high school (Helen Hunt not withstanding).
I don't think she doesn't understand it, she just doesn't bring anything new. It's repetition. I've never learned anything from a report of hers.

I dunno, not saying she is terrible at what she does, but she surely isn't good at it IMO.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #32
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't think she doesn't understand it, she just doesn't bring anything new. It's repetition. I've never learned anything from a report of hers.

I dunno, not saying she is terrible at what she does, but she surely isn't good at it IMO.
I think that's probably the best description of Megan and probably symtomatic of most of the media coverage of the Texans locally. You have a few bright spots but for the most part they don't bring anything you don't know or couldn't have guessed by yourself.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #33
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think that's probably the best description of Megan and probably symtomatic of most of the media coverage of the Texans locally. You have a few bright spots but for the most part they don't bring anything you don't know or couldn't have guessed by yourself.
That's because this message board is too damn smart
Old 05-19-2009   #34
Texsker
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Texsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respectedTexsker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
What I'm saying is that she displays what I would consider to be an intermediate understanding of football. She's not a true analyst, but is a reporter with enough knowledge of the game to be competent in her reporting.

I'm not touting her as an example of greatness, but it's clear by the Texans' choice to hire her that they weren't targeting a high-level analyst who could really break down Xs & Os or get highly technical. She's just a reporter who happens to have sufficient knowledge of the game to do her job reasonably well. That's all.
Old 05-19-2009   #35
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Rings of things I would not want to be hearing at this point from what Kubes is saying:

-TJ being "out" with "issues." He needs to be out there with or without "issues" or he may just very well find himself off the team by the beginning of the season..............with more "issues."

-Antonio Smith with a hamstring.......potential high risk recurrent, chronic condition.

-Okoye with a quad with knee pains........one of the more rehab friendly injuries if isolated (and not a primary knee joint problem), but another loss of time in a "new system."

Lots of time to heal before TC, but why all these "issues" following a long rest period........certainly not from yesterday's OTA.

They all need this valuable time with their new coaches.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
If Hill can catch the ball well enough I wonder what our chances are this year of running a few plays out of a 2 TE set.
I could easily see us carrying 4 TE's this year and using 2-3 TE sets. Kubiak has always used 2 TE sets. And he likes 3 TE sets, too, but couldn't do that much (if at all) last year because Bruener was out almost all year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #37
Big Poundcake
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 Big Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden coverBig Poundcake could be on the next Madden cover

I hope Travis Johnson gets healthy quick and is able to participate.

Cushing looks jacked. I hope he is learning and picking up pointers from Ryans.
Big Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009   #38
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 223239 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poundcake View Post
I hope Travis Johnson gets healthy quick and is able to participate.

Cushing looks jacked. I hope he is learning and picking up pointers from Ryans.
Absolutely...
Quote:
(on LB Demeco Ryans saying he would help him and if he will try to lean on Ryans) “Oh, of course. He’s been generous enough to do that. It’s been a privilege already to play next to him. All-Pro linebacker, just an unbelievable talent, so I’m going to try to get everything I can from him. He was in the same situation and he’s just been doing a great job since day one.”

(on if it will help that Ryans was in the same situation of having to start right away) “Absolutely. He came in, he was a highly touted linebacker, and he’s just lived up to the expectations and more since being in this organization.”

(on if he talked to any of the other veterans today) “Oh, all of them. Especially the linebackers, just helping me out with every little thing, wanting me to get better. You could tell it’s a tight unit and everyone wants the best for each other.”
Old 05-19-2009   #39
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
Who is this???
Old 05-19-2009   #40
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

I found this KubeKuote somewhat interesting...

Quote:
(on CB Fred Bennett’s role on the team) “Fred’s a starter right now. This league is about opportunity, and through Dunta’s situation, Fred’s a starting corner on this team right now. We’ll see how he does with it. He’s really taken to (defensive backs coach) David’s (Gibbs) attention and he’s worked very, very hard. So he’s had two good days to start off with here, so we’ll see.”
Does this mean that Fred is #2 until Robinson comes back (when he drops to #3) or does that mean he and Reeves are battling for the #2 spot?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read