Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-18-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Information from OTAs

I was reading up on the Texans chat on the official site, and picked up a few tidbits about our OTAs. Post any more information you can find here if you'd like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Bentley
The Texans just walked off the field after their first practice during organized team activities (OTAs). These non-mandatory workouts run on May 18-21, May 26-28, June 1-4 and June 9-11 and they give coaches a chance to evaluate the team, especially the rookies and new free agents, before training camp. I wrote about the five big questions that the Texans have going into OTAs. After Day 1, you already could see that two of the biggest storyline will be: Who will start at weakside LB and who will be the backup to RB Steve Slaton. Without further ado, let's dive into it.
On linebacker competition:
Quote:
The competition at LB started the moment the Texans drafted Brian Cushing No. 15 overall. D-coordinator Frank Bush wants Cushing starting at the strongside. There's going to be a lot expected of him right away. Last year, Zac Diles moved from backup MIKE to SAM. Now, he is working out on the weakside and competing against Xavier Adibi, who won a starting spot there last season. Bush told me he felt like Diles was the most consistent player on defense until he was injured last November. I think Diles will find his way on the field. Cato June has played both the SAM and WILL positions and will provide depth. Also, look for Kevin Bentley to back up DeMeco Ryans at middle linebacker.
On Dunta
Quote:
Dunta didn't come to OTAs, which are not mandatory workouts. But coach Gary Kubiak said that Dunta assured him that he will be at the first mandatory workout, which are mini-camps in the middle of June
On the Rookies
Quote:
A lot of these rookies look that part of pros right away. Brian Cushing was the biggest linebacker on the field by far. The Texans aren't tackling right now, but Cushing looked like he wanted to lay some people out. He's going to have to work on his technique and learn the defensive schemes, but the learning curve should be steep for him. Third-round draft pick Antoine Caldwell was holding his own at center. He can play both guard or center, but assistant head coach Alex Gibbs worked him hard at center. Caldwell is sharp and he should pick up the zone scheme quickly. Tight end Anthony Hill has long arms and looks like he could develop into a good blocker. James Casey layed out to make a catch that was impressive. Defensive end Connor Barwin wasn't there because he is in school until June13.
On Dan O
Quote:
QB Dan Orlovsky was taking reps behing Matt Schaub in OTAs today, and I think he's very impressive. Orlovsky is taller than Schaub and he gets great zip on the ball.
On who was there
Quote:
As for no-shows, CB Dunta Robinson wasn't there because of his contract holdout and DE Connor Barwin, the second-round draft pick, is still in school. Everyone else, including DeMeco Ryans, was there.
On the Running backs
Quote:
I was impressed with Arian Foster's size. He looks like someone who could excel in the Texans' one-cut scheme. I think the coaches are excited to see what they have in him. Moats also is very quick and has a great work ethic- he's the perfect backup guy. However, GM Rick Smith told me they will continue to look at who is available and see if they can upgrade their talent. So there could be some additions to this group.

more here: http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

I bolded the parts I found interesting. Especially that she said Diles was the most consistent player on the entire defense. That speaks volumes about that guy.
Old 05-18-2009   #2
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Information from OTAs

i thought it was noteworthy to point out that Travis Johnson is not expected to be in the starting rotation. Bentley mentions that he's out with an injury but she made it seem as though even if he was healthy he's not in the starting rotation. It was more noteworthy that it seemed as a surprise to her. It's the first day of OTA's but hey, we're starving here. Glad Dan 'O is looking big and strong. I think he's going to be a great addition.

Also, noted that Ferguson is still starting at SS not Barber.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks. From all the positive comments recently, I think linebacker should be a strong point this year. I'm interest in how Chaun Thompson does.

I hope Foster and Moats really step up.
Old 05-18-2009   #4
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Thompson will be hard pressed to get on the field. He's lights out on special teams though. But it may be a casualty due to too much depth. Bentley can play all three positions, so can Diles, DeMeco, Cushing and Adibi aren't going anywhere due to contracts and age. Chaun may miss the boat, or maybe June.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that we're already seeing Caldwell getting reps, and concentrating at center. I suspect if Caldwell continues to impress Myers might be in a camp battle for the starting spot. Either way looks like we've got some depth possibly at guard or center. I loved the Caldwell pick once they called his name.

Got killer depth at LB and looking forward to camp battle for the WLB spot. If Adibi can stay healthy I like his chances and his speed. I'd really love to see 3 LBers on the the roster for once who can run sideline to sideline.

If Hill can catch the ball well enough I wonder what our chances are this year of running a few plays out of a 2 TE set.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #6
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
If Hill can catch the ball well enough I wonder what our chances are this year of running a few plays out of a 2 TE set.
I'd say the chances are very high, because if my memory serves me correctly, we used a 2 TE set a few times last year.
Old 05-18-2009   #7
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to wonder how much BB actually knows about football. She probably was hired for her looks more than her ability to break down the cover 2 defense.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2009   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I have to wonder how much BB actually knows about football. She probably was hired for her looks more than her ability to break down the cover 2 defense.
Why would you even say anything like that? Pretty women can't like football?

I actually used to think the same way, but Suzy Kolberg(sp) changed my mind. It's possible that a good looking woman can be "involved" with the sport.
Old 05-18-2009   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I'd say the chances are very high, because if my memory serves me correctly, we used a 2 TE set a few times last year.
With the type of TEs we've brought in, i.e., TEs that can block, catch, play FB/H-back, and even throw, it wouldn't surprise me to occasionally see 3 of those placed amongst Schaub, Leach and Slaton(or his compliment)...............without telegraphing "pass" or "run." Talk about wreaking strategic havoc.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #10
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was liking her in those workout shorts in the video with Dan O! Giggidy.

I think she has some good knowledge and is willing to listen to the fans questions.
Old 05-18-2009   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Any reason to say this other than to be sexist?
Old 05-18-2009   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear her on the podcasts and on all those videos on the main site and never really heard much of an opinion from her or an analysis of some sort. Mostly fluff pieces.
Old 05-18-2009   #13
kozanack
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 kozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famerkozanack is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I hear her on the podcasts and on all those videos on the main site and never really heard much of an opinion from her or an analysis of some sort. Mostly fluff pieces.
Reporters state the facts. Columnists and commentators provide opinions. I doubt that the Texans would ever have a columnist or commentator on staff because they would come across as a propagandist.
kozanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #14
Dapper
Veteran

Rep Power: 33 Dapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respectedDapper is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone please tell me Chris Brown was on the field today. Dude owes us whatever he has left. I'm hoping he can contribute this year. I like his size.
Old 05-18-2009   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

I can't find anything else on OTA's. I've been waiting for this day for weeks, there has to be more somewhere.
Old 05-18-2009   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll tell you that she probably knows more about football and the Texans than most of the people on this message board.

I've been impressed with her interviews of players. If she doesn't KNOW the material she's presenting... she has an uncanny ability to memorize facts, figures, ideas, etc. and convey them in a convincing manner. I'd rather read the transcripts of what she says during interviews than read what 90% of the people on these boards have to offer concerning the Texans.

FACT.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I talked to GM Rick Smith about Amobi Okoye before OTAs. Smith told he that Amobi has to step up for the defense to execute and that Amobi knows this. Today, new defensive line coach Bill Kollar was all over his unit and he had Amobi running at a high gear. I think Kollar will be riding Amobi hard and it will be interesting to see the results.
But she does need to be careful about keeping that site G rated, we don't want any rumors being spread around the NFL about our players/coaches!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
But she does need to be careful about keeping that site G rated, we don't want any rumors being spread around the NFL about our players/coaches!
Sounds more like the Titans QB and centers .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'll tell you that she probably knows more about football and the Texans than most of the people on this message board.

I've been impressed with her interviews of players. If she doesn't KNOW the material she's presenting... she has an uncanny ability to memorize facts, figures, ideas, etc. and convey them in a convincing manner. I'd rather read the transcripts of what she says during interviews than read what 90% of the people on these boards have to offer concerning the Texans.

FACT.
Interviews aren't spontaneous at all. For a simple piece for the school paper, I had to read the press release over and over and do a lot of research. For someone getting paid to do interviews, she either does a lot of research or has someone write up questions depending on how strict the editor is.
Old 05-18-2009   #20
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They hired the coaching staff to break down the cover 2 defense.

They hired Bentley and Brandimere to pass along team-related information to the fans.

Quote:
Interviews aren't spontaneous at all. For a simple piece for the school paper, I had to read the press release over and over and do a lot of research. For someone getting paid to do interviews, she either does a lot of research or has someone write up questions depending on how strict the editor is.
I imagine its some of both.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 05-18-2009 at 11:57 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read