Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-13-2009   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 115739 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default UDFA: Going Against All Odds

There's an interesting video and transcript on HT.com with Turk, Ferguson and Deljuan explaining their experiences as an UDFA. It kind of got me thinking how we (fans) tend to over look these guy's as just camp fodder or PS players. Here are a couple quotes:

Quote:
Ferguson: “Rick saw what I could do on the field,” Ferguson said. “He said, ‘Let’s get him to Denver. Let’s give him another chance.’ I don’t think at that particular time they expected me to make the team, but I just kept making plays after plays after plays.
Quote:
“All my life I have been playing through hard trials and tribulations,” Robinson said. “I take the same approach when I am out on the field. I have to beat the next man out, and if not, just make him better. I want him to know that I am right there, waiting on my opportunity and waiting on my chance.

“Right now, they just signed a lot of drafted guys and other free agents. So what am I going to do? I am going to hold it down and show them my worth. I know they are going to sign other people, but I am going to always show them how hard I work and what I can do on the field.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/St...?story_id=5283

So, considering we're at the beginning of the worst part of the off season, let's discuss UDFA's of the past. What UDFA's of the past beat the odds and are now successful or have see success in the past for the Texans or any other NFL team?
Old 05-13-2009   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: UDFA: Going Against All Odds

Mike Briesel is our best UDFA.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Briesel is the best....I think Foster and JJohnson could be pretty darn good football players in Kubiakspeak
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike Brisiel may not be the "best" but I think on our team he's proabably the most valuable since he's been our starting RG and only improving. He's #1 on my list.

I think Tim Bulman deserves some credit. Played well and improved last season and I see him being a part of the rotation this year.

Darius Walker, while not great or playing with us anymore, did decent in my opinion. I expect Forster or Johnson to at least have a similar impact as Walker.

I'd also like to note Chris Myers (6th rd pick), Kevin Walter (7th rd pick), Jacques Reeves (7th rd pick) as some guys that contribute a whole heck of a lot and are late round picks (not undrafted though).
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 115739 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Warren Moon went undrafted in 1978
Old 05-13-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

My favorite non-Texan NFL player Bart Scott was, incredibly, undrafted.

Also - I believe the Defensive player of the year James Harrison was undrafted.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #7
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeff Saturday was undrafted in 1999.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2009   #8
dc_txtech 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 51562 dc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respecteddc_txtech is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Warren Moon went undrafted in 1978
He's number one all time on this list I found.

http://www.bet.com/News/Sports/betsnflundrafted.htm?i=9

1. Warren Moon
2. Kurt Warner
3. Rod Smith
4. Priest Holmes
5. Antonio Gates
6. Boney Romo
7. Willie Parker
8. Adam Vinateri (how many kickers actually get drafted?)
9. Wes Welker
10. Adewale Agunleye

BET.com is pretty much an authority on these types of things. LOL
Old 05-13-2009   #9
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Antonio Gates was drafted either.

edit... nevermind ^^^^^... I got scooped.

What about Jake Delhomme?
Old 05-13-2009   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was undrafted.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #11
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I was undrafted.

As long as Al Davis is alive, there is still hope.
Old 05-13-2009   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I was undrafted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Nice!
Old 05-13-2009   #13
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Darius Walker, while not great or playing with us anymore, did decent in my opinion. I expect Forster or Johnson to at least have a similar impact as Walker.
Does "I expect Foster or Johnson to atleast have a similar impact as Walker" mean you are secretly hoping for Friday's with Foster edition on HT.com?
Old 05-13-2009   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kurt Warner, Willie Parker, Ryan Grant, Wes Welker, James Harrison, Adam Vinatieri, Leigh Bodden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Does "I expect Foster or Johnson to atleast have a similar impact as Walker" mean you are secretly hoping for Friday's with Foster edition on HT.com?
I loved those clips with Walker!!
Old 05-13-2009   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Since his days in Denver, Kubiak gives a speech at the beginning of the year on UDFAs and lower drafted players who have made teams and excelled. Denver traditionally had a number of those players. Rod Smith says he owes his career to Kubiak.
Old 05-13-2009   #16
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude, that was very well played. ;-))
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Since his days in Denver, Kubiak gives a speech at the beginning of the year on UDFAs and lower drafted players who have made teams and excelled. Denver traditionally had a number of those players. Rod Smith says he owes his career to Kubiak.
I bet that's pretty interesting!

Here's some players currently on our roster that, in my humble opinion, are great to have, solid contibutors, great rotation/depth or that Kubiak speaks highly of:

QB- Dan Orlovsky- originally 5th rd draft pick, Kubiak really likes his potential
FB- Vonta Leach- Undrafted free agent
TE- Owen Daniels- 4th round pro bowl TE
WR- Kevin Walter- originally 7th round draft pick
C- Chris Myers- originally a 6th round draft pick (6th rd pick traded too)
G- Mike Brisiel- Undrafted free agent
DL- Tim Bulman- Undrafted free agent
DT- Deljuan Robinson- Undrafted free agent
DE- Antonio Smith- originally a 5th rounder
LB- Zac Diles- 7th round draft pick
LB- Cato June- originally a 6th round draft pick
CB- Jacques Reeves- originally a 7th round draft pick
S- Domanick Barber- 6th round draft pick
K- Kris Brown- originally a 7th round draft pick
P- Matt Turk- undrafted free agent
Old 05-13-2009   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Señor Stan;1182808]I don't think Antonio Gates was drafted either.

What about Jake Delhomme?[/QUOTE]

He was undrafted and initially placed on PS.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #19
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think Antonio Gates was drafted either.

What about Jake Delhomme?

Gates was a 2nd round pick just so you guys know
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202278 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Gates was a 2nd round pick just so you guys know
I believe, that's incorrect...........he wanted to go into the NBA but decided to give up basketball and get into the NFL...............He was signed as an undrafted FA by the Chargers in 2003. BTW, he had not played any football during college (only HS).
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read