Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 05-12-2009   #1
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 36501 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL May Ship Extra Regular Season Game to England

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- After seeing fans jam London's Wembley Stadium the past two years to watch an NFL game, the league is considering sending a second regular-season contest overseas in time for the 2010 season.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that the second game also could be played in London or another location in the United Kingdom. The issue will be discussed at next week's league meetings and could be included in a larger plan to add up to two regular-season games to the NFL schedule.

"The fan reaction we've had in London has been extraordinary. We would like to feed that passion," Goodell said after speaking at the Charlotte Touchdown Club. "We have a great fan base in the UK. There have been discussions of taking the second game and playing it in another market in the UK. That's something that we'll evaluate."
Not surprised they are talking about sending another game over here. Its a guaranteed 80,000 sell out at Wembley, and the help it must do to marketing teams over here should be huge.

However, I'm not sure how this will go down...I seem to remember there being a few fans getting pissed at losing one of their home games, not if two are going to lose their games, there may well be more people saying enough is enough... Seems to be a 'its all good, as long as my team doesn't lose a home game' attitude around?

On a side-note, its disappointing that the NFL aren't looking at spreading it around Britain (or even Europe for that matter). Just in Britain, Scotland had the 'Scottish Claymores', and must still hold a fanbase (and anyways, a 6 hour train trip from London isn't that bad anyway) and I'm sure Ibrox or Hampden Stadium could host a game. Failing that, there is a load of NFL support in Germany, where NFL Europe/Europa was pretty much based.

Either way....thoughts?
Old 05-13-2009   #2
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Re: NFL May Ship Extra Regular Season Game to England

Eh, since they were (did) play with relocating the pro bowl - why not send that one over and stop messing with people's home games.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #3
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
Eh, since they were (did) play with relocating the pro bowl - why not send that one over and stop messing with people's home games.
Good idea.

Do I remember reading that they were talking about hosting a future super bowl in London?

:not enough coffee this morning: <-----we need a smiley for this
Old 05-13-2009   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Roger Goodell is Satan. That is all.
Old 05-13-2009   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed! They could even move it from year to year to different cities across the pond. It would also give players more incentive to make the Pro Bowl. I mean, a Pro Bowl in Florida? Whoopty doo!
Old 05-13-2009   #6
Polo

I think they want to expand their merchandise market.
Old 05-13-2009   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Have an MADDEN NFL Super Bowl playoff game between the 2 world champion finalists, projected on the European stadium's large video boards.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-13-2009   #8
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like the idea. The pro bowl is becoming irrelevant anyway. Europe gets to see the best of the best, the players still get to vacation, and the US fans don't lose a meaningful game.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #9
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I think they want to expand their merchandise market.
If we're lucky, the world will embrace the game. Then new leagues will form, the develop and start signing players away from the NFL. Before you know it we will be watching the NFL on pay-per-view once the NFL teams outbid the competition abroad.
Old 05-13-2009   #10
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I dont like it. I think the fans deserve to have their team's home games played at home.

If the Texans went, would we have more fans in the UK? Probably. But Ill pass.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #11
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

pro bowl over there would be better than a regular season game. they could charge more and ppl would pay it b.c. all the big name players would b there. Not just two teams players
Old 05-13-2009   #12
Polo

I don't get why folks think sending the pro-bowl over there is a good idea.

I think people would tire of the event really fast because its not a true representation of the game.

I'd much rather watch a competitive hard fought game vs. a game where they don't even kick real field goals.
Old 05-13-2009   #13
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 10404 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think people would tire of the event really fast because its not a true representation of the game.

I'd much rather watch a competitive hard fought game vs. a game where they don't even kick real field goals.
so would i that is y I want the real games to stay in the US...teams shouldn't lose a home game during the season...i'll let preseason slide
Old 05-13-2009   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm so sick of this crap!!!

Why don't they just start a damn professional football league in England like the Japanese have baseball and the Greeks have basketball, and stop trying to take our football away from us?

WTF is next, a World American Football Classic?

Goodell is horsecrap!!!

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009   #15
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Exactly. When people complain about games going over seas they get told they are behind in the times and that globalizing the game is good for the NFL.

What is the positive effect other than filling owners wallets? All I see is NFL fans getting screwed out of a home game.
Old 05-13-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why don't we just give a franchise to London and quit giving them ours. A 6 hour flight form London to the US isn't that long when you only play once a week.
Old 05-13-2009   #17
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
so would i that is y I want the real games to stay in the US...teams shouldn't lose a home game during the season...i'll let preseason slide
Agreed.

If anything, Goodell needs to let a couple teams play a couple pre-season games over there...

I think fans would much rather lose one of those games vs. losing a regular season game...Plus the fans across the pond would still be getting competitive play...
Old 05-13-2009   #18
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Why don't we just give a franchise to London and quit giving them ours. A 6 hour flight form London to the US isn't that long when you only play once a week.
Well that works for the east coast teams. Try telling the Seahawks to take an 11 hour flight to London.
Old 05-13-2009   #19
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
That is...

Until they are scheduled to play the Raiders or San Francisco...
Old 05-13-2009   #20
Blake
MMQB

Quote:

Great post. I dont understand why anyone thinks the Brits would want to watch a flag football game with no blitzing, or hard hitting. It doesnt make sense.

Plus I think alot of players will decline the offer to play in the pro bowl when it gets moved to Miami, and especially if it was in London.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read